997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Something I learned today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
Private dealer and dealership, have both told me that you should push under the crest, directly above the latch, everyone else I have ever spoken to with a Porsche have said to push on the crest. Seeing as the dealerships are telling me below the crest, I think I will stick with that.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i push above hinge... very easy to get stress dents in aluminum... esp if its not reinforced where ur pushing like by the latch.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by skizot
Private dealer and dealership, have both told me that you should push under the crest, directly above the latch, everyone else I have ever spoken to with a Porsche have said to push on the crest. Seeing as the dealerships are telling me below the crest, I think I will stick with that.

I was told by the dealer to push on the crest. I have been doing it for 2 years now with no issues or denting.

Dave

Old 04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Porsche owners sure can be silly sometimes.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
jackolo is infamous around these parts
An odd thing to be discussing but I'll contribute my 2cents... I push down on the side of the crest. I believe this is what my dealer told me and I remember seeing a diagram of this before... anyways...

Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You'll have to "unlearn" now - here's how you're supposed to close the hood. Amazing what you can find in the owner's manual.
That's amazing. I have read a good deal of the owners manual and I have never seen those instructions. I close my hood that way but only because I thought that section of the hood looked the most robust and the least likely to bend or dent. It's good to know that I'm doing it correctly. Can't imagine why someone would use the crest as that section of the hood is fairly thin and appears as if it would bend easily but I suppose if you used the palm of your hand that would reduce the potential for caving in the hood in that area.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
This thread must win the **** retentive award.

Besides... the advice is bad. If you are so retentive... use both hands to lock the hood.
Bud...you are so spot on it's silly.

Next up....How to vacuum your floor mats. East to West or North to South ?

Last edited by HATTRICK; 04-29-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Bud...you are so spot on it's silly.

Next up....How to vacuum your floor mats. East to West or North to South ?
If the topic is so frivilous, why are there 3X as many posts about closing the boot lid as there are in "997S Track use, longevity and car care?"

Obviously, we have a lot more garage queens than track stars.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skizot
My sales guy gave me the same instructions.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
I dont think I will open the trunk so I wont have to "worry" about how to close it !!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:56 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I place a hand on either side of the crest. I keep my breath slow and steady to keep my hands from shaking. Then I press down lightly with even pressure, until the hood is closed. I then go over that area with quick detailer. And lastly I will walk from the left to the right wheel, in a circular motion around the front of the car, while never removing my gaze from the lines of the hood. If I determine that the hood is closed properly I say the word Porsche three times, while turning in a counter clockwise direction and I am finished. If, however, I determine that the hood is not closed perfectly, I will open the hood, and begin the whole process over again.

J

Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CMOS
If the topic is so frivilous, why are there 3X as many posts about closing the boot lid as there are in "997S Track use, longevity and car care?"

Obviously, we have a lot more garage queens than track stars.
Oh, I completely agree. Many more queens than stars around here for sure.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
omes is infamous around these parts
As frivilous as this thread is I just got my 911 48 hours ago and funny enough my salesman made a point in the walkaround/introduction of the car NOT to push on the crest as it can loosen it or dent it....

Great video ....the voice of Patrick Stewart narrating was just awesome.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 AM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
to add more hyper detail to this thread, I've closed my hood since my 996 days and now with my current 997 by pressing just below the crest area around where it lines up to the latch too.

but I use a MF cloth if I have a clean one available - usually do - or my metacarpal area knuckles if I dont - I find pressing with my fingers or palm of hand, front or back area of palm, to leave prints or smudges.