997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Something I learned today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Something I learned today

It just occurred to me that closing the luggage compartment is best done by pushing on the Porsche crest, not the painted part of the hood itself! Seems really obvious, but I had been pushing on the painted part right below the crest until now. Ha!

(And in case anyone else noticed, yes that was a Zen Arcade reference)

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
I thought that that was NOT recommended?? ie pushing down the crest has a tendency to loosen it.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice
My sales person told me to push on the crest. Been doing it for few years now. No problem with loosening crest.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I push down on the crest as well. Not sure how it would loosen it, but if it did become loose all you would have to do is tighten the speed nuts on the back which is simple.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
I haven't looked to see how the crest is fastened, but I assume it's held on by a screw through the hood, right? I hope its not just glued on?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
There are two prongs that go through the hood and speed nuts fasten down on the prongs.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CMOS
It just occurred to me that closing the luggage compartment is best done by pushing on the Porsche crest, not the painted part of the hood itself! Seems really obvious, but I had been pushing on the painted part right below the crest until now. Ha!

This thread must win the **** retentive award.

Besides... the advice is bad. If you are so retentive... use both hands to lock the hood.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !

You'll have to "unlearn" now - here's how you're supposed to close the hood. Amazing what you can find in the owner's manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Closing Hood.pdf (19.0 KB, 295 views)
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
there is nothing 'Zen' about reading the owners manual

Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You'll have to "unlearn" now - here's how you're supposed to close the hood. Amazing what you can find in the owner's manual.
Thanks for posting the manual excerpt. I'm amazed they actually provided instructions on how to close the trunk. But it's not clear that, even based on the manual, that pushing on the crest is wrong.

The manual describes "Push the lid closed with the palm of your hand in the area of the lock". Where is the "area of the lock"? An "area of" doesn't have to be directly over. The crest is generally in the area of the lock.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting the manual excerpt. I'm amazed they actually provided instructions on how to close the trunk. But it's not clear that, even based on the manual, that pushing on the crest is wrong.

The manual describes "Push the lid closed with the palm of your hand in the area of the lock". Where is the "area of the lock"? An "area of" doesn't have to be directly over. The crest is generally in the area of the lock.
The lock is by the latch - about 3 to 4 inches closer to the edge than the crest. You'l risk putting a big dent in the lid by continuing to use the crest as your push point. If they wanted you to push on the crest wouldn't it have been more clear to instruct to do that?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
reewrd is infamous around these parts
this is funny because a friend just sent me a owners video produced by porsche for the 993, and in the video it states you should push on the crest to close the hood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdi9kwx9hjs

if you don't want to watch the whole thing, you can just jump to about 7:30 and it explains it.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by reewrd
this is funny because a friend just sent me a owners video produced by porsche for the 993, and in the video it states you should push on the crest to close the hood:

if you don't want to watch the whole thing, you can just jump to about 7:30 and it explains it.
I like that vid.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Interesting video. The bodies and hardware on the 993 are two generations older than the 997. Maybe it's an "air cooled" thing. The 996 manual says essentially the same as the 997. I think I'll continue closing the hood the way I always have.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Interesting video. The bodies and hardware on the 993 are two generations older than the 997. Maybe it's an "air cooled" thing. The 996 manual says essentially the same as the 997. I think I'll continue closing the hood the way I always have.
Is the lid on the 993 aluminium? I thought it was steel? Maybe that 's the difference.

I mention this as when I took delivery the guy who did the delivery (a 20 year Porsche guy) was very specific about pushing right above the latch and not on the badge. His reasoning was that the lid is triple skinned above the latch but not where the badge is - and he actually said that as the lid is aluminium I'd put a dent in the lid if I used the badge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something I learned today