997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Questions Re: Unsold 911's at Uports & dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Questions Re: Unsold 911's at U.S ports & dealer 'hiding' valuable cars in Inventory

A) Does the US Importer PCNA have '09 911's currently in temporary storage at US ports of entry that dealers didn't specifically ordered and that they (dealers) don't want to floor plan (finance & make them part of their inventory stock) since they never asked for them? This is currently the case with Mercedes and some other foreign car importers with 'surplus' cars. If Porsche is indeed in this same predicament, how can one access the specs of these unclaimed and at port '09 cars since they are not listed in the PCNA dealer inventory totals? Are Porsche dealers privy to this information?

B) I have heard rumors that some dealers are 'hiding' what they consider valuable cars (perhaps a few with very desirable colors and/or options) from other Porsche dealers so that other dealers can not request them in intra-dealer trades. How common is this practice at this time and how can this be done since PCNA computers should be relatively accurate as to who-has-what cars in the 'inventory system'? Are dealers listing these valuable cars in their inventory but with a code that designates them as 'not available for trade' (e.g. customer special order awaiting delivery) to avoid being asked? Or does this mean that the PCNA dealer inventory locator is inaccurate and that there might be more 09 911 inventory out there than we can see in the PCNA own dealer websites as some dealers 'hide' these so-called valuable cars?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share with us regarding these two questions. Saludos, Z356

Last edited by Z356; 04-28-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1) I don't think so . There may be incentives revealed both in current lease offers , lower finance rates , rebates/discounts . Inventory looks low at dealerships on new cars when I read their sites . That implies they are selling cars but not getting any .

If Porsche is holding cars back --they are wasting their time in my opinion . There are so many used cars out there at such low prices . It's a buyers market .

It does not matter if the dealership only has 10 cars . They can keep all ten of them if they don't compete with price.

2) I don't know .It's hard to determine if an unseen car its intentional or incompetence at updating their internet inventory . I find very few dealerships who actually keep things updated daily . There are some though but very few.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Holding cars back....

Yrralis1: I doubt Mercedes is holding cars back either and keeping their 'surplus' cars at US ports on purpose. It is just that their dealers are refusing to take them and don't want to finance them in their inventories. It might be that Porsche is not facing this dilemma. They have much smaller production and have been given credit for quickly cutting back output in Zuffenhausen once the economic meltdown began last Fall. Yet there are some signs that US dealers have been given inventory that they would not have otherwise ordered themselves, especially in these large quantities. For example, there is an unusual number of the Launch PAG code Meteor Grey C4S (the one with the sport bucket seats) with identical specs & msrp - approx. $112K - that remain unsold at dealers across the US. My guess is that the decision to spec these special PAG launch 911s rested with PCNA and Porsche AG, not the US dealers. There are also a large number of unsold PAG launch code Macadamia (brown) Metallic PDK Targas C4S (the ones without Sport Chrono or Nav) at dealers. If these PAG launch code production spec abnormalities should continue, I could see how dealers might refuse to accept some MY09 cars from PCNA that were already produced but which US dealers might think are too hard for them to move in this bad economy, especially when they know MY2010 production starts in a few month's time. As you know, some still have left-over 08 models in inventory. I just want to know if, in fact, Porsche has escaped the sad fate that Mercedes and the others importers are suffering regarding warehousing unwanted/unsold (to their dealers) cars at US ports. Z356

Last edited by Z356; 04-29-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I believe each dealership received 4 launch Meteor C4S cars , 4 white C2 , 4 green PDK C2S and at least two brown Targas . The Targa BTW was missing sport chrono on a PDK car .
That's a lot of cars - all the same --everywhere -no variety .

Those cars arrived as the Dow and Nasdaq took a huge dive south = not good --especially factoring in that optioned out the MSRP was quite high .

If Porsche intervenes with lease /finance/rebate relief the cars will sell and dealerships will want more cars .
I had never seen a launch vehicle sold for 8-10 percent off until now so this is the time to buy.

You do raise some valid awareness though and I think its a great thread . Your ideas made me think enough to look at one dealership in California (always updated) that has my friends car in used inventory . Oddly enough the asking price has gone down every time I looked since October UNTIL now . They raised the price 8 grand in approx aweek.

Another thing I was at a dealership today with two Cayenne GtS on the floor . One was priced very high and the other low .

So where are the other Gts cars in the middle ?
I don't see them on the street.

Bottom line -- If you are looking for a car walk in witrh an idea of what you want and walk out if they don't have it or you have doubts on price .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-29-2009 at 01:29 AM.