997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pre-purchase inspection reveals painted front bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
I'll throw in my two cents, seeing as I just purchased my first pcar two weeks ago. When I did the pre-purchase inspection, I found out that the front of my car, was actually recently repainted. The dealership told me that they had to replace the front lip on the car and because the previous owner had it molded in, they wound up replacing the entire front bumper and had it of course repainted when the molded on the new lip. Long story short, a little paint, does not mean that the car has been in a major wreck. Do a carfax search. I would just flat out ask the dealership as well. If they say no, have them document that. If they say yes, then walk.

My new (used 06 997) had a laundry list of little BS things that needed to be fixed on it, all under warranty and nothing major. I don't freak out about these things. You need to do your homework though, I don't want you to get screwed.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
If I were you, I would get a body shop to check it and they can tell you more about what exactly was done if there was more body work done. You should check the screws on the inside of the hood to see if either quarter panel was removed. Once the factory original screws are removed, you can that fenders were either removed or replace which could indicate more severe front end damage and further repainting/replacement of the panels. I had the same issue and found out from a body shop that there was some repainting before I bought mine also but there were no quarter panels removed and no front end components replaced and most importantly, no frame damage.

Jon

Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
bdschet is infamous around these parts
So this is what I've found out since my original post: The dealer called the previous owner, whom he says is a regular customer and traded the 911 in for a Lamborghini. Anyway, the previous owner claims to have hit his garage as he was pulling out and damaged the front bumper. He then claims to have had the bumper replaced at a Porsche dealer and has the paperwork to prove it (which he faxed to the selling dealer, but I have not seen yet). The reason the PPI dealer was originally suspicious was because the headlight washers didn't work, suggesting something with the front bumper. He was not willing to fix them unless I paid up front... if it in fact was a warranty problem he would then change it to a warranty repair and refund my money. Anyway, the selling dealer is so confident that car is perfect that he paid the PPI dealer out of his pocket to do the work to prove there was no collision signs.

I had been set to fly down to Miami this Saturday morning and drive it back to Baltimore. At this point I'm still waiting to hear back from the PPI Porsche dealer regarding the findings in the bumper. I guess that will help me make a decision.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Front bumper repaints and/or replacement are pretty common. Since you now know the facts behind it I wouldn't let that get in your way if the deal and car are good. I've been planning to replace my front bumper since it originally had the license plate attached. I removed it (when I bought the car) and used 'paint-to-match' bumper plugs which I don't like but have learned to live with.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[QUOTEThe reason the PPI dealer was originally suspicious was because the headlight washers didn't work][/quote]

This is the part that bothers me otherwise I would have agreed with MDrums. A little bumper tap doesn't cause the washers to fail . A nice whack does .

The second part that bothers me is that its at an independent lot . If the car is pristine it's usually at the dealerships and every once inawhile an indy gets one but those get sold to preferred customers . An out of state purchase is a one time sale.

The third part which makes yoir situation different from Skizot is that his situation was disclosed to him . In fact his PPI dealership embraced the car . In your case they ran from it . IMO its their way of diplomatically letting you know to walk from the deal.

Is this really the way you want to start out with yoir new car? I wish you the best -I really do and if this car is "the one" I hope it all works but it sounds like there are some red flags .

IMO -- buying acar is business . There are some people who are profesional and trustworthy . Kudos to the dealership who spotted it for you . IMO they came through for you.

You shoiuld not have had to find out these things about the car the way you did . That in itself would have me walking.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I agree with Larry.....If this was a dealer, I would feel more comfortable. If this is not the correct car I would go to the porsche website and search used porsche on those. They will give you an incredible list of cars that are available at dealers. Some CPO some not. Do your homework and work it. You are not buying a Yugo. This is a piece of precision machinery that is not cheap to fix. Do it correct the first time. I see that you are in the north east. I had a fantastic experience with Town Motors. Premier dealer and fantastic sales force that seemed to be honest. I did not purchase from them because I wanted a particular car. They had one but I was late to the call. I failed to notice if this was your 1st one, but if so , dont cut any corners. Its not worth it. Take your time. Plenty of choices .

Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
All porsche dealers have a paint meter gauge, you will always be able to tell from the meter a car that has been painted, larry is right...sometimes you have to pay more to get the right car. The few grand you save evaporates the minute buy the car...the what ifs will bother you forever and when you try to tell the same story down the road if you decide to sell..your future buyer has the same questions you have now...walk.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
No doubt- there's so many good CPO'ed cars out there that it's not worth stressing about this one car which may or may not be right. Be patient, find the right car, no stories or funny business- you may have to pay a little more for it, but for this kind of car- it's worth it.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996wings
Here is some info that can help.

The first thing you have to do is look at a brand new car. What you want to do is walk to the front of the car, take your fingers and rub on the back part of the hood in the little gap between the end of the hood and the beginning of the front windshield. You will notice that the paint is very smooth. You can do this exercise on the hood, on the trunk, along all the doors, on the gas tank cover, etc. On a brand new car, all of the edges will be incredibly smooth. Once you have an idea of how it should feel by rubbing the edges of the car described above, do the exact same process on the used car that you are considering. If, for instance, the hood of this used car has been repainted and is not the original manufacturer's paint, instead of a smooth feeling, the back edge of the hood will feel like sandpaper, which indicates a repainting job. Do this on all the edges of the car including trunk, quarter panels, doors, any edge you can find.
Good tip...I'll try that myself sometime...

Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
What was the outcome???????????

Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Decision

Well, after a gut-wrenching decision process I decided to still fly down to Miami and at least see the car for myself. After a thorough conversation with the Porsche PPI inspector and an independent body shop I had affirmation from both saying they believed there was no collision damage and that the car looked and ran beautifully. I contacted the previous owner (not the dealer) of the car and personally asked him about the front bumper paint job. He told me how he had a bunch of rock chips and some damage to the lip from a curb (and being a cosmetic perfectionist) he replaced the entire bumper and had it painted at a porsche dealer. He faxed me the paperwork confirming this. I contacted the dealer to make sure they didn't have conflicting reports (a damaged bumper from an accident). They confirmed what the previous owner told me. I looked over and drove the car a ton and in the end it was just perfect for me. Had all the options I wanted and at a reasonable price. I figure with the signing off by the PPI inspector, an independent body shop, and the previous owner (not the selling dealer), I was good to go. I completed the deal, spent the next two days driving it back to Baltimore and couldn't be happier. The car is absolutely fantastic. The color combo is stunning and I have no qualms about the condition of the car. Thanks to all the advice here. In the end I feel like I sufficiently reviewed its condition to be comfortable. But definitely appreciate the comments I got here to get more information. It helped answer any questions/concerns.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Oh, and the word on the headlight washers: Turns out there was no malfunction. The dealer that installed and painted the new bumper simply didn't hook up the hose. It was clearly obvious when the PPI inspect took the bumper off and fixed it.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
way to go, glad to see you got what you wanted, and way to do the research. it obviously paid off. Now post some pics of your beauty

Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Congrats . . . . Post a few pics when you have a chance.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Pics

Midnight Blue, Beige Interior, Blue Top

Attached Images      

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase inspection reveals painted front bumper