997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My 997.2 C4S has taken on a new personality overnight!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
shuffles is infamous around these parts
My 997.2 C4S has taken on a new personality overnight!

Hi all,
Just puting this out there and interested to see any similar thoughts on this. I took my '09 C4S (w/ PDK) out on Monday night to hang out with a buddy. We were driving to a dinner, him in his car me in mine, and decided to have some fun stoplight to stoplight a couple times. For the first time since I've owned this car, I decided to try the launch control. WOW! I will say that my buddy has a Nissan GTR and there was no chance in hell, but my car is scary fast when I really pushed it
The next morning I decided to take it to work as well (my dd is a 07 silverado truck, but I only live 3 miles from work). I immediately noticed a sportier feel in the car. It shifted better and almost read my mind based on the pressure I applied to the accelerator, the engine felt crisper and racier. Also, I had just rolled over 4k miles the night before (not sure if that matters ). The car seemed to handle the same, but from a stoplilght there was absolutely no hesitation on take off, where before there would be a couple of nanoseconds you could feel the car getting ready to go. I am not a terribly fast driver on most days, and am the type to be the last to get going on a green light at an intersection. The car has turned into the real-deal overnight it seems.
This is my first Porsche so this is all new to me, not sure what to expect. I bought the car in mid December 2008. But this is a pleasant surprise, that the car just "grew up" suddenly and can read my mind as to power/tq and shifting. It's truely amazing.
Anybody else feel a sudden change in the car's personality? Is this like a break-in that has been completed or something? Any insight if this is just my perception or something has truley changed would be much appreciated!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Philthy is infamous around these parts
I don't know much about PDK Launch control since my 997 is 6speed, but it sounds like a very awesome and well built transmission, with a very aggressive launch.

I know in my SMGII m3, to activate launch control you need to turn on a bunch of sport settings, maybe your PDK "sport" settings are on. although I have heard PDK launch control is just activated by holding down the brakes and quickly pushing the accelerator.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Philthy
I don't know much about PDK Launch control since my 997 is 6speed, but it sounds like a very awesome and well built transmission, with a very aggressive launch.

I know in my SMGII m3, to activate launch control you need to turn on a bunch of sport settings, maybe your PDK "sport" settings are on. although I have heard PDK launch control is just activated by holding down the brakes and quickly pushing the accelerator.
Well, just about. You have to be in "Sport Plus" mode. Other than that, hold down brake and floor the gas. I had the E60 M5 and the newer M6 with SMG, and also an 05 M3 with SMG II. The M5/M6 had launch control, but I recall it was limited to like < 2k RPM. Kind of took some of the fun out of it. The Porsche goes all the way to redline and launches, which is very cool.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
hopefully doesnt void the warranty after a while haha..

the launch control is in my opinion the best part of the pdk.. the rest of it feels soul'less to me to be honest.. i love the quick shift but i dont feel one with the car like in a manual.. ive tried to persuade myself otherwise several times with test drives.. but doesnt work.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
It has to do with the fact that the control of the transmission is adaptive and learns with the way you drive the car. You drove it harder and it changed its shifting points accordingly.

This has nothing to do with launch control. Launch control is a gimmick AFAIC.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 PM
theufoguy is infamous around these parts
Do you mean that the car learns and remembers what it has learnt for the next day? I do notice that my 997.2 learns and adapts when I drive it aggressively but I haven't seen it remember that the next time I drive it.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Hmm, not sure where that opinion comes from. You can launch at full 7500+ RPM and not worry about immediately shifting again.... sounds good to me. Also throws you back in your seat.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Some gimmicks we like!

Some gimmicks we like. especially launch control where none existed before.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
My wife's new C4S stick.....how will it learn?

Or is it doomed to life of ignorance.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Launch control is a gimmick AFAIC.
But sooo much fun!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
It has to do with the fact that the control of the transmission is adaptive and learns with the way you drive the car. You drove it harder and it changed its shifting points accordingly.

Exactly. Now your cars knows your insane

....as for the launch control - its not FAV feature but its certainly fun for scaring your frineds lol

Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shuffles
Hmm, not sure where that opinion comes from. You can launch at full 7500+ RPM and not worry about immediately shifting again.... sounds good to me. Also throws you back in your seat.
Actually... LC revs the engine to 6500RPM. If you see 7500RPM you have not engaged LC properly and are up against the rev limiter. I've seen this happening and explained to me by PSDS instructors.

I and many 911 fans do not care for LC or jack rabbit starts. This is not what these cars are about. LC will be scrutinized heavily upon resale, as used car buyers are aware of the extra axle and chassis stresses LC causes. In the meantime, you guys who enjoy dragstrip games, enjoy your cars, while they last...