997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust leak - between cats and mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Exhaust leak - between cats and mufflers

I spent the better part of this afternoon installing X51 headers and AWE cats on my '06 997S. I had previously installed Remus mufflers. I took my time to make sure I didn't screw anything up. I think the toughest part of the install was removing and remounting the oxygen sensors!

Anyway, the end pipes of the cats and mufflers don't quite line up perfectly. I tried tightening the clamps in several positions between the cat and muffler end pipes. I now have minimized the problem to a slight leak on both sides of both clamps right under the bolts that tighten the clamps.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking the pipes do not line up since I'm using different brand cats and mufflers.

I haven't driven the car yet, but it definitely sounds louder i.e. deeper tone and raspy when revved a little.

Thanks in advance,

Andre

Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Just PM'd you with a recommendation. Hope it helps.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Andre5
I spent the better part of this afternoon installing X51 headers and AWE cats on my '06 997S. I had previously installed Remus mufflers. I took my time to make sure I didn't screw anything up. I think the toughest part of the install was removing and remounting the oxygen sensors!

Anyway, the end pipes of the cats and mufflers don't quite line up perfectly. I tried tightening the clamps in several positions between the cat and muffler end pipes. I now have minimized the problem to a slight leak on both sides of both clamps right under the bolts that tighten the clamps.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking the pipes do not line up since I'm using different brand cats and mufflers.

I haven't driven the car yet, but it definitely sounds louder i.e. deeper tone and raspy when revved a little.

Thanks in advance,

Andre
The sleeves that clamp and seal the joint between the cats and mufflers become distorted and corroded with use and will usually not seal a new muffler/cat pairing effectively. Simply replace them with new ones they're not expensive and your local Porsche dealer will have them in stock

Here's another tip to get the best from the new sleeves. Before go ahead and clamp the new sleeves down, loosen all the muffler mounting hardware so the muffler can move slightly in all 3 dimensions. this allows you to accurately line-up the muffler and cat. Slide the sleeves along to cover the joints - they should slide along absolutely smoothly if everything's lined-up correctly. If you have to force anything, the muffler and cat aren't facing one another properly - move the muffler around until you have it facing the end of the cat section square-on. Once the sleeves fit correctly tighten them down first. Then, lastly, re-tighten the muffler mounting hardware. You should now have a really good, gas-tight seal.

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 05-03-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tips Verde and Ian. I was able to get the cats and the mufflers to line up.

Andre

Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent. Glad I could help.
So, how does it sound?
All the best,
Rich

Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Sounds great. Definitely more bark in the upper rev range and a lower tone overall. Sorry, I have nothing to compare it to as I have only heard the PSE exhaust (louder than PSE for sure). I have yet to hear AWE, Fabspeed, Tubi or any other aftermarket exhausts.

Maybe when the weather gets better, we can meet and compare cars. I'd like to see a demo of the Mobridge.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Let me know when you want to grab a coffee midway between us.