997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black paint care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
DJS
DJS is infamous around these parts
Black paint care

Something tells me this is a familiar topic, ah but what the hell.

The P-car vet who I bought my 911s from told me, when I wash my car, use 'WATER OWN-LEEE."
Stressing it like an 11th commandment...

Okay, so I've used water only for a couple washings and it's doing an okay job. I guess the logic is, you get no wax or whatever on it, or residue of soap or whatever, and you just have pristine paint.

But the car nut in me wants to put wax her. Actually, I like that stuff you just spray on and wipe off, is it waterless wax? I forget because I haven't had a car worth the trouble in years. Loved the Beemer but... I will not take this car to the car wash.

So... just curious. Do you guys use soap? Do you use wax?

Favorite treatments??

Thanks!!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Of course I use a sealant! Sometime I use a Carnauba Wax, and sometimes I use a synthetic such as Zaino. And then sometimes I use a synthetic first, and "top it" with a carnauba wax.

And when washing I use Zaino Shampoo. You've got to use a shampoo on the paint as it provides the lubricity necessary to move dirt off the surface without inducing swirls and scratches. Zaino, Meguiar's Gold Class (readily available) are all good. With just water, you lack the lubricity necessary.

What else did this guy tell you?
CATTMAN

Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 PM
ato911 is infamous around these parts
I have a Black 997 and am not a professional detailer. However, I am very **** about my car care like most Pcar owners. With black, you really have to be careful on what products you use and the washing/waxing techniques. Otherwise, you will end up with swirls and scratches. My suggestion would be Swissvax products. I use their car bath to wash the car, Cleaner Fluid to strip the contaminants off and their Zuffenhausen wax. I have used many different brands but find that Swissvax is the best for my Pcar. Swssvax claims that the Zuffenhausen wax was developed exclusively for Pcars. If you are not comfortable in detailing your own car, there are many professional detailers out there to make your Pcar look good.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Gentle car wash soaps , loofa, absorber and a twice a year detail plus indoor parking.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Basalt Black Metallic:

1Z Einszett Perls Shampoo
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (flex)
Menzerna Final Finish (flex)
Menzerna FMJ

Wheels get porsche cleaner (green stuff) and interior gets 1Z Einszett ****pit spray. Leather gets the stuff Porsche sells, can't recall the name offhand. All this stuff above can be had from Detailers Domain (philip is great).

Old 05-04-2009, 08:52 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i heard only use coca cola... OWN LEEE COKE

haha

use whatever u want, just make sure yourusing a clean cloth and u have a different bucket for clean water and dirty... cause when u wash sediment off u dont wanna put that into the clean water bucket again... i know maybe thats a little over the top.. but the sediment that stays in the rag/cloth is what gives u swirls....

Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Technique is 80% of it, products are 20%.
Go to the autopia.org for lots more info- you can a LOT learn there.
CATTMAN

Old 05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned
Envious Eric is infamous around these parts
I am a member on autopia, and I will second, there is a ton of great info in there! product reviews, business reviews, etc...

I would definitely use a soap if doing a traditional wash - bucket and soap!
if using a rinsless wash, I use ONR - optimum no rinse! that is the only way I wash any car I do! It leaves a glossier finish IMO and its still slick!

Black will be a second job, or third! if you want to keep it perfected, then dont drive it, dont wash it, dont look at it wrong! I would do a full detail on it every 6 months like mentioned above! light compound, light polish, sealant wax for durable protection, and a carnuba every month for its ability to deepen the paint, as well as fill in some minor defects from washing...

Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Glad I bought Carrera White And a Cab. Do you know how much waxing that cloth top saves??

Originally Posted by Envious Eric
I am a member on autopia, and I will second, there is a ton of great info in there! product reviews, business reviews, etc...

I would definitely use a soap if doing a traditional wash - bucket and soap!
if using a rinsless wash, I use ONR - optimum no rinse! that is the only way I wash any car I do! It leaves a glossier finish IMO and its still slick!

Black will be a second job, or third! if you want to keep it perfected, then dont drive it, dont wash it, dont look at it wrong! I would do a full detail on it every 6 months like mentioned above! light compound, light polish, sealant wax for durable protection, and a carnuba every month for its ability to deepen the paint, as well as fill in some minor defects from washing...

Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
I am not a detailer either...but a lot of years keeping P-cars paint smooth. May not work for everyone, but has worked great for me. The approach below assumes that paint starts out in good shape. If you have issues...you need more aggresive approaches to get smooth first.

Basic approach. Whenever I am going to clean car, wash with water first. Work around the car with just water and hand...knock off all the stuff attached to the car. Be careful not to grind this stuff into the paint, use water to wash it away as you loosen.

About 2 times a year, clean the car very aggresively with soap. Use a clay bar if required. Polish it with something fairly mild...the polish will smoth the finish and further clean. Now hopefully you have a smooth finish...it's time to put on a coat of wax. Once the wax is on, paint should be protected (wax covers paint...no micro crevices for nasties to damage paint).

Once I have reached this state (good polish...good wax), I don't hit the car with soap unless I really need to. Basically same approach, knock everything off with water and hand...then dry carefully. If I do need to use soap (let's say some asphalt gets on there or a bird really does a number), I apply another coar of wax after the soap wash. Keep in mind that soap removes wax...some say brands of soap say they don't...but those probably don't really do the soap thing too well. In my book soap and wax are not friends...

Anyhow, this is all my opinion...take or leave...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
ragazzi_07 is infamous around these parts
black car look amazing when clean