997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question for Softronic / Revo / GIAC / any other ECU tuners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Question for Softronic / Revo / GIAC / any other ECU tuners

I was hoping you could give me an indication of how much ignition timing a 997S.1 typically runs at full throttle / max power (6900rpm).

My car seems to have an ECU problem. When you reset the ECU (disconnecting the battery for a while) it runs fantastically well for the first hundred miles or so. The performance then dips gradually away - the car gets slower and slower over a few hundred miles, maybe to the tune of around 30BHP down, and sounds flatter and flatter. Resetting the ECU again restores the performance to normal levels. It FEELS like the ECU is pulling lots of timing and I wanted to compare mine to a 'normal' result.

The car is modified with a full AWE exhaust (headers/cats/mufflers)only.

I always run 99-RON Shell V-Power Gas

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
Ian, I don't suppose you have a video clip with sound of your fulll AWE setup do you?

I'm debating between X51 headers + PSE to just avoid the warranty potential hassles vs. same full AWE setup and still checking out sound clips betweent he two. Leaning towards AWE at the moment because of the throatier, deeper sound - although I still need to hear one live and not just video clips.

Haven't heard a full AWE set though, just the youtube clips of AWE muffler only or partial/mixed setups.

Oh, and also - sorry to hijack your thread but did you notice obvious butt dyno improvement pre and post installation of the full AWE setup? You've got the stock ECU too right? The one thing I'm pretty sure I want to avoid is hassles re: flashing so staying stock on that.

Last edited by mozhacker; 05-05-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
I was hoping you could give me an indication of how much ignition timing a 997S.1 typically runs at full throttle / max power (6900rpm).

My car seems to have an ECU problem. When you reset the ECU (disconnecting the battery for a while) it runs fantastically well for the first hundred miles or so. The performance then dips gradually away - the car gets slower and slower over a few hundred miles, maybe to the tune of around 30BHP down, and sounds flatter and flatter. Resetting the ECU again restores the performance to normal levels. It FEELS like the ECU is pulling lots of timing and I wanted to compare mine to a 'normal' result.

The car is modified with a full AWE exhaust (headers/cats/mufflers)only.

I always run 99-RON Shell V-Power Gas
Ian did you have the tune done yet? You can probably set the car for no adaption and just leave it in the full boogie mode. That's what a few of the guys did in the E46 M3. They just run the full boogie map all the time and limit adaption. Just keep the knocksensor active to protect against pinging. If no pinging you get full timing..

Dave

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mozhacker
Ian, I don't suppose you have a video clip with sound of your fulll AWE setup do you?

I'm debating between X51 headers + PSE to just avoid the warranty potential hassles vs. same full AWE setup and still checking out sound clips betweent he two. Leaning towards AWE at the moment because of the throatier, deeper sound - although I still need to hear one live and not just video clips.

Haven't heard a full AWE set though, just the youtube clips of AWE muffler only or partial/mixed setups.

Oh, and also - sorry to hijack your thread but did you notice obvious butt dyno improvement pre and post installation of the full AWE setup? You've got the stock ECU too right? The one thing I'm pretty sure I want to avoid is hassles re: flashing so staying stock on that.
You can go to AWE's website for video clips of their exhaust system. The AWE setup won't affect the warranty other than the exhaust warranty that's it. They can't void the whole powertrain warranty just because you put on a AWE exhaust. They would have to prove the exhaust caused the motor to grenade.

Dave

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Ian did you have the tune done yet? You can probably set the car for no adaption and just leave it in the full boogie mode. That's what a few of the guys did in the E46 M3. They just run the full boogie map all the time and limit adaption. Just keep the knocksensor active to protect against pinging. If no pinging you get full timing..

Dave
Hi Dave

Still waiting for the tune - I'm having this issue with the adaptation process and need to resolve it before I can go further. I just need to find some data about how many degrees BTDC of timing a typical 997S runs at WOT and max-power (6900rpm) so I can confirm that my ECU is/isn't pulling timing