997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tires - Patch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
kevin123 is infamous around these parts
Tires - Patch?

When I bought my Porsche the dealer tried to sell me a tire/wheel warranty.

He said if I get a nail in the tire, it requires a new tire, no matter where the nail is since N rated tires can't be patched or plugged.

They wanted $1295 for the tire warranty and I had to buy it right then.
I don't ever like buying something under pressure, so I said no.

I know when I buy a new tire at Discount Tire the hazzard warrenty is $25-$30 per tire.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Skip the tire warranty but the dealer is spot on about tire replacement. Look here--https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...plug-tire.html

Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Patch

Originally Posted by kevin123
When I bought my Porsche the dealer tried to sell me a tire/wheel warranty.

He said if I get a nail in the tire, it requires a new tire, no matter where the nail is since N rated tires can't be patched or plugged.

They wanted $1295 for the tire warranty and I had to buy it right then.
I don't ever like buying something under pressure, so I said no.

I know when I buy a new tire at Discount Tire the hazzard warrenty is $25-$30 per tire.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks
FWIW, I've had several high performance cars and when I've gotten a nail in the tread I've had it removed and the tire patched from the inside. I've run these patched tires at very high speeds at HPDE's with no problems. Patches don't work on sidewall holes, but they generally work on nail holes in the tread.
Just my $.02.
Mr. B

Old 05-07-2009, 08:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would plug the tire and not worry about it on the street.

I don't like to drive my track tires on the street, to avoid the patch.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Have to disagree

Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I would plug the tire and not worry about it on the street.

I don't like to drive my track tires on the street, to avoid the patch.
I have to disagree. Plugs are not the best way to repair a nail hole. They are inserted from the outside and are less secure that a patch applied from the inside.
mr. B

Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. B
I have to disagree. Plugs are not the best way to repair a nail hole. They are inserted from the outside and are less secure that a patch applied from the inside.
mr. B
I am sorry, I meant to say patch. I would patch instead of replacing the tire.

I don't use the plug method on my tires at all.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
DPorcella@sbcgl is infamous around these parts
Question okay, but what about tire and wheel insurance? Good idea?

Wasn't that the original question? I wish I knew how many of us purchased this insurance and for how much. THAT would be useful info.

I've heard people say that it was money very well spent.

Opinions please!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
My dealer has patched it from the inside - no issues. I bought the tire insurance and it was MUCH cheaper than what you were quoted. negotiate it, if you think you want it.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I hope that price would have been for the life of the car. Gosh I guess I would just get real unlucky once a year and hit a patch of nails....

Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 AM
DPorcella@sbcgl is infamous around these parts
I got it!

Originally Posted by function12
I hope that price would have been for the life of the car. Gosh I guess I would just get real unlucky once a year and hit a patch of nails....

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
I purchased wheel/tire insurance in 06, cheaper than your quote, covers wheel damage also, which can be expensive. Have not used it yet...we will see! All these policies are negotiable!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Here is our writeup on tire repair.

The reason IMO most shops won't repair treadcap holes is the hassle of people coming back when they don't work and demanding it be done again for free. They don't always hold. N-spec or not, if properly patched tires are still capable of high speeds, but probably should not be used on the track. If you have a tire patched make sure they are removing the tire from the rim and using a patch-plug from the inside. They look like this:

If a shop says they can repair a flat properly without taking the tire off the rim:

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
The price was for the life of the car, but did not cover normal wear.

What I objected to the most was being told I had to purchase it when the car was sold.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:41 PM
shuffles is infamous around these parts
I would patch all day... would not want to plug though. We get nails in these wide 305 tires all the time. Not much you can do, can't plop $1k each time u get a nail (for 2 tires minimum).
On a side note, I bought the wheel and tire warranty once on a BMW. Paid like $1500. It was worth every penny. Next time I went to buy, they stopped selling those warranties. Not sure why... but can guess!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I quess my question is more is the warranty worth getting?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires - Patch?