997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Passing on the 997S..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:26 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Passing on the 997S..

My wife and I went up to drive the 997 and we were not able to drive one but we did drive a C4S and a 996 Turbo. We were both very put off with the Hyundai like pieces of the interior, the turn signal indicator felt like a plastic straw and it felt like a stick scraping on a rock when I used it.

The drive in both was very good and the Turbo, well thank god I don't wear a toupe, that was just funny. Both were very tight and sounded awesome, completely glued to the road, relatively quiet and decent ride quality considering the nature of the beast. Other than the horrible interior bits both cars were exceptional but I came to the conclusion that I wanted a lot more daily driver and a lot less speedvision GT.

The 997 interior is better as is the ride quality my conclusions from a previous test drive, but the bottom line is my needs will be better suited with an AMG sedan or the like and I'll leave the Porsche for future consideration.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:16 PM
dhayek is infamous around these parts
Re: Passing on the 997S..

Originally posted by 05997S
My wife and I went up to drive the 997 and we were not able to drive one but we did drive a C4S and a 996 Turbo. We were both very put off with the Hyundai like pieces of the interior, the turn signal indicator felt like a plastic straw and it felt like a stick scraping on a rock when I used it.

The drive in both was very good and the Turbo, well thank god I don't wear a toupe, that was just funny. Both were very tight and sounded awesome, completely glued to the road, relatively quiet and decent ride quality considering the nature of the beast. Other than the horrible interior bits both cars were exceptional but I came to the conclusion that I wanted a lot more daily driver and a lot less speedvision GT.

The 997 interior is better as is the ride quality my conclusions from a previous test drive, but the bottom line is my needs will be better suited with an AMG sedan or the like and I'll leave the Porsche for future consideration.
so i assume you are going to change your nickname??

Old 10-16-2004, 02:02 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What?

Old 10-16-2004, 04:20 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
buy my TT

Old 10-16-2004, 12:54 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
If the 911 ever becomes a " wash" in the marketplace with a Mercedes intender , then the Porsche has really lost it's reason for being here.
I'm a loyal twenty year owner of both marques . Porsche should stop trying to be an " only " car for it's 911 buyer . Let the Mercedes owner have something very different and sporting in chosing to own a Porsche ALSO.

Last edited by MKW; 10-16-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:23 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
So I bought a C55 instead of the 997. Its fast in a straight line and handles very well for a sedan. Most of my driving is around town and on the freeways etc... I had always worked towards the goal of owning a new Porsche but the mystique just wasn't there for me.

There is no doubt that its a great car but it is not the two dimensional car I thought it could be, that is a completely fulfilling sports coupe, which it is, coupled with relative comfort and utility which IMO it does not have.

Its only my subjective opinion and I still like them a lot, just not happening this time around.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:22 AM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
thanks for sharing

Why does everyone talk sh*t about the interior? It's a sports car.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:30 AM
RU_MATRX is infamous around these parts
Vehicle technology, materials and value will always improve with time and innovations. The interior of the 996 was subpar especially for a $135K 996TT I had with lots of "Aluminum-look/stainlesss" extras. Now remember, this is in comparison to what else is available in the price range, belowand beyond. Yes, Porsche sacrifices creature comforts and luxury for the sake of performance and functionality. Still, they could have invested a little more effort in quality and ergonomics for their biggest profit making model. I believe that noone is talking "sh**" about the interior of the new 997 but just giving honest feedback and opinions on Porsche's effort. I mean compromise is everywhere although one can't objectively mistake the terms "practicality/performance/bare essentials" with being "thrify/profit-oriented" to put it euphemistically. For instance, $10K in carbon fiber interior bits in a $140K+ 996TT just covers the same interior as a $50K Boxster with full leather as an option? That same interior is subpar to begin with in 2004 and the 997, even though an improvement, is still somewhat mediocre for a GT sportscar.

A Porsche is not really competing with say, a "purer" 2005 Lotus Elise anymore or any lightweight racer without compromise (ok, maybe an effort with a stripped GT3). That's just fiscally smart in the automotive global marketplace!

They are seeking ever larger profits and wider audiences that love the "concept" of a true sportscar.

Last edited by RU_MATRX; 10-18-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:56 AM
If you read his post...

He called the interior of the 996 TT and C4S "Hyundai like." I would be a bit put off if someone referred to the interior of my $140,000 car as "Hyundai like."

Old 10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
SD1
Re: If you read his post...

No offense to hyundai of course.

The Porsche is phenomenal in its role, I don't dispute that at all and in fact look forward to the kids getting a bit older and making a single purpose car a viable option for me.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:01 AM
RU_MATRX is infamous around these parts
I did see that reference although it's just an analogy to get his point across. A Porsche interior is still far from the Hyundai-like extreme.

What's more appropriate is the comparison of Porsche say to Mercedes in quality of leather, interior design and ergonomics. We're not talking about excessive weight, gadgets and widgets, just the fundamental layout, materials, fit and finish. It's like night and day between the 2 manufacturers.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Analogy or insult?

"I did see that reference although it's just an analogy to get his point across. A Porsche interior is still far from the Hyundai-like extreme."

Well, according to 05997S, it is Hyundai like, and he went into detail. Everyone has their opinions. Don't come on the board and make ridiculous "analogies." If you don't like it, simply state your opinion, and move on. That's my point.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Re: thanks for sharing

Originally posted by joecmess
Why does everyone talk sh*t about the interior? It's a sports car.
i don't know what you guys are tlaking about, but I lve the interior of the new car. I think it's amazing....
I love it.

Raja

Old 10-18-2004, 08:57 PM
SD1
I am talking specifically about the 996. The 997 is definetly better. The 996 is nowhere near a Mercedes. The 996 with the sole exception of the leather quality is on par with a 25K econo car. The switchgear, power window switches, HVAC controls, turn signal stalk are very"cheap". They look cheap and they feel cheap. I would very literally put them in the same category as a Hyundai. The comparison was direct not an analogy.

Old 10-19-2004, 04:04 AM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
05997S, I just did the move also and bought a Blk/Blk C55 and I am loving it, my 996 was a great car but this is more useable for everyday as my only car....The only Porsche I would buy again GT3!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passing on the 997S..