997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Burning smell from exhaust area on both sides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
epaulbb is infamous around these parts
Burning smell from exhaust area on both sides

Hi everyone! This is my first post, since I just purchased a 2005 CPO C2. My question to everyone is that I smell a burning smell from the exhaust area after a long drive or a quick fast drive around my area.

During the test drive and after reading some other forums, everyone says this is normal for 997's. The things I've been reading are:

- It's a compound they put around the engine to protect it.

- Small pieces of the rubber from the tires that land on the exhaust

- A Socal Valet guy says he smells it on all 997's

- My dealer said it was normal, but claimed it was the brakes

- Smell should go aways after a while, I've seen numbers from 2-7k on mileage

Long story short, I'm trying to find out from real 997 owners if this smell is normal or not? If it is normal, does anyone know what causes it? I have 27000 miles on my car and they did just put brand new tires on the rear, so I'm curious what this forum thinks.

I used to own a 993 C2 cabrio and never smelled anything like this. Thanks for your replies!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 AM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
I doubt its rubber as you'd more than likely see smoke in addition to a very distinct tire burning smell...I have 34k on my car and don't have a burning smell at all...

b/c its CPO'd and you've brought it to the attention of the dealer, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much unless your car starts throwing CEL's, etc.

Last edited by surfingbuddhist; 05-14-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks surfingbuddhist. Did you ever smell a burning smell in the exhausts area on your car?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Found this thread, seems like it's normal. Any more comments?

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ls-normal.html

Old 05-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Big997Fan is infamous around these partsBig997Fan is infamous around these parts
I also had it on my 996 when it was new. It seemed to come from the engine area rather than the exhausts tho. Went away after 10-15k mi. Nothing bad happened, so if your problem is like mine, I wouldn't worry.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:50 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
yep, 800 miles and there is a burning smell from both rear wheel areas after a drive. Smells like a rubber-like compound getting very hot. I am not worried about it. Probably some coating somewhere.......And no smoke yet, so I assume no fire!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I get a smell from my car from time to time. No big deal.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Ditto- You notice it a bit more in a ragtop. Just make sure that "burning smell" is not your clutch

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Six - post some pics!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I bought my '08 new last year. It has different smells here and there after running...never thought much about it, never paid attention to where it is actually comming from. Just figured the engine/exhaust is hot from running...like any car. Also, it's a new car...what could be wrong with it? It's just doing what it does...no concern of mine.

J

Old 05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
My 06 still has it with 24K miles, time to time, after long or hard runs, dealer said brake and tire smells, normal.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
I get it everytime I take it out and heat it up real well , I think it's the exhaust that gets heated

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LarryP
I get it everytime I take it out and heat it up real well , I think it's the exhaust that gets heated
I agree. I think it is just the hot mufflers and exhaust pipes that are right behind the rear wheels.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the wonderful responses everyone, definitely makes me feel better. I'll post some pics of my wonderful new ride after I know for sure it's mine. Looks like the dealer wrote the contract in a way where they're having a tough time finding a lender, but have to honor the terms (it was a negative trade). I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue, but they have 10 days to cancel the contract, since I'm in the better position it's in their court and I'm just waiting for the 10 days to pass. If it doesn't work, I'm looking for another one, but this one was perfect and I've been waiting a while ever since I let go of my 993 for a BMW...

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Tiger is infamous around these parts
i got my car brand new. 997TT i too pickup a burnt smell. i guess its totally normal, no worries

Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
It depends on how sensitive you are. Your car is old enough that any coating would have stopped rendering itself with exhaust heat. But every car generates some odors on cool-down because the exhaust burns off some of the dirt that coats it during the drive. The Porsche cans hand out there in the open and so some smell is likely. But it shouldn't be repeatedly strong, chemical, pungent or whatever. Just a bit like compost in the oven If that's not the essence, I'd have it checked. My 2005 didn't smell until I put new aftermarket mufflers on it. For a while after that, all the WD40 took a bit of time to burn off. Now no noticeable smells again.