997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Track Suspension for my 997S - Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Track Suspension for my 997S - Advice

I have decided I want to upgrade my stock suspension, its just not cutting it on the track anymore (TOO MUCH UNDERSTEER and not enough turn in).

I have decided to go BIG and get a double adjustable sport/race suspension.

2 options:

1. JRZ RS Pro
2. Moton Club Sport

Both are external resivior shocks, with nitrogen and very similar.

I'M LOOKING FOR EXPERIENCE FEEDBACK ONLY!!!!!

1. Which did you choose an why?
2. Is one more reliable or requires less maintenance?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have to ask, why are you wanting such a advanced suspension? These systems are great for the track, but not too streetable (from what I have been told), as well they are very difficult to setup perfectly. I believe that you do a lot of street driving with your car, and these suspensions do not allow you the ability to have a softer setting. I would not rule out a set of Bilstein Dampronics, my car corners very flat with them.

If you want to reduce understeer, try some heavier sway bars.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Northvan,

I understand your points.

I plan on keeping the car forever, and little by little turning it into a dedicated track car over the years.

I have decided I want to get a new suspension, and I rather buy 1 than having to upgrade in a few years.

Yes these are gnarly suspension and way overkill for a street car.

BUT with the udjustability, you can actually have a smoother ride than with pss10's.

If you set them to the softest setting you can get a very soft smooother ride (like stock or smoother)... then when you get to the track you can click them to the track stiff set up and have a STIFF track beast.

Yes these are more maintenance, but I have a great mechanic that has set up 100 PCA and POC race cars with JRZ and many other suspensions.

I rather spend a little extra now than have to spend a lot more latter when i decide I should have gotten the double adjustable shocks.

I care more about handling than power, the car stock has more than enough for the track!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:54 AM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like your mechanic has the experience you are seeking. What is his opinion? The notion of making a car more appropriate for street or track by adjusting the dampers is a little flawed. Any spring rate demands a damper offering compression and rebound resistance that falls within a fairly small range. If you are able to soften the ride to a significant degree by changing the damper settings, chances are the spring rates are not nearly high enough for serious track use. Your plan of making this a dedicated track car will certainly call for a more track oriented suspension, but I think you will find the end result just that, track oriented.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
And what about a real track alignment. I understand that a real track-oriented alignment will tramline a lot, and the tires will wear unevenly.

I assume that you are going to have a separate set of track tires/wheels? Are you thinking of something DOT legal?

Now that your suspension can handle the turns faster, you will need tires and alignment to go with it, neither of which will work that well for you on the street.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I care about it being more a TRACK suspension.

I can live with it when I drive it on the street from time to time.

Track first!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mobonic
I care about it being more a TRACK suspension.

I can live with it when I drive it on the street from time to time.

Track first!
If that is your feeling towards your car, then you should have a dedicated track car that has had a weight reduction, and a cage installed. There is a guy that spent some time on this forum "Jellybone" that has the Moton CS and he found it a bear to deal with both on and off the track. Last time I spoke to him he was considering a dedicated track car and converting his 997S back to street only.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
I vote RS pros but i am biased...

Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
i can't speak for the Porsche in particular, but I'd run Moton over JRZ (i'd run Ohlins over both).

But as stated above, your money is better spent first on good track tires and a nice alignment. No real point (IMO) going with a track oriented suspension if you're running a bunch of Toe In and you are on hard street tires. I would focus first on getting the bits for a good track alignment and pickup some sticky tires, those will be worth more in lap time then a suspension, and then you can get a baseline set so you can appropriately adjust the suspension.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Kerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura about
Mobonic,

I feel you are getting some pretty good advice here. If you want to have crazy adjustable shocks with remote canisters, then I would bounce that ball into your mechanics lap. Have him install what ever he is the most comfortable with because there will be a dialing in period and a lot of adjustment going from street to track.

You might look at some adjustable lower control arms and some high angular upper camber plates along with a rear adjustable toe link to go with your shocks. The shocks will definately change the feel of the car and the ride height if you choose; but I do not feel that the shocks alone will change the performance of the car. It is sort of a whole formula of components that equal proven results type thing.

But heck yeah buy something you and your mechanic like and stick with it. JRZ and Moton will be around for a long time to offer you support for your purchase. I do not feel one is better than the other it usually just boils down to peoples opinions and personal preference.

Good luck with it!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Im going to go with the following:

JRZ RS Suspension
Eibach Springs (800/900)
GT3 Cup Car Control Arms
Toe Links
Bump Steer Kit

This way I can:
- Get negative camber to -3º (minimize understeer)
- Lower car to ROW height/track height
- Minimize roll and rebound on the track (better turn in)

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Definitely looking forward to updates on your setup.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 AM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have to ask, why are you wanting such a advanced suspension? These systems are great for the track, but not too streetable (from what I have been told), as well they are very difficult to setup perfectly. I believe that you do a lot of street driving with your car, and these suspensions do not allow you the ability to have a softer setting. I would not rule out a set of Bilstein Dampronics, my car corners very flat with them.

If you want to reduce understeer, try some heavier sway bars.

Just my 2 cents.
++! I couldn't agree with you more, The damptronics and stiffer sway bars improved my track experience. You can also maneuvor the car with understeer with pressing the throttle a bit more when aiming at the apex, it's amazing how much steering can be done by balancing the car with more gas and less gas. My .02.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mobonic
Im going to go with the following:

JRZ RS Suspension
Eibach Springs (800/900)
GT3 Cup Car Control Arms
Toe Links
Bump Steer Kit

This way I can:
- Get negative camber to -3º (minimize understeer)
- Lower car to ROW height/track height
- Minimize roll and rebound on the track (better turn in)
Good chatting to today and as I was saying you can't go "wrong" with either per se. I've owned/installed/run both and I do think in the US the support for Moton is better but go with what your local shop has used more often (in your case JRZ). At this level there's no "good and bad" and it's all in the set up. Just keep your eyes on them and inspect the parts every so often.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
From all my research this is my reasoning on my choice.

1. PSS10 - Good suspension, geared more for street use and handles well for the track.

2. JRZ RS - Double adjustable internal Track suspension geared for street and track - has better internal and adjustability than pss10, still good for street use but better at the track than pss10.

3. JRZ RS Pro - Double adjustable piggy back track suspension. This is one step down from a race suspension. Way more adjustability to fine tune. Best for track use, will be vert stiff for street but can be adjusted in a few clicks to soften dampers for street. This is for the serious tracker and or club racer. One you get this suspension there will be no need to ever upgrade unless you build a race team for koni or rolex

I rather spend 1K more and get something that i will never have to replace, no matter how committed I get to tracking and racing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Suspension for my 997S - Advice