997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

pdk c2s vs e92 m3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Ced
Ced is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CURI0
Not until you hit triple digits, from a stop and in the 1/4 the new m3 has the advantage.

The stock DCT is surprisingly close to the stock M5.
the DVD I purchased of all these exotic cars racing on the airfield from GTBoard / M5Board, showed a M5 smoking the M3 - not even close.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shuffles
I have probably written bits and pieces of this all over the place on this board, so to summarize -

PRIOR TO TRADE-UP
1) e92 M3 felt detached. had an e46 M3 which felt a little more down to the road
2) engine was amazing, but felt out of place in that car. the M3 was made for a high output 6, not a V8 in many ways
3) I went from last 3 cars SMG to this one manual. As some on the board would say, I "softened up" a little and lost my taste for manual at that point.
4) Test drove a porsche before I got the M3 for the first time ever... but went with the trusty-dusty bimmer as I had been doing for the past several cars. Couldn't get the feeling of the Pcar out of my mind.
5) was not too happy about the interior of the M3. Technologically superior to the Porsche in many ways, was used to the iDrive, but had that interior since 2004 when I had the new body 530i with nav.... I had grown annoyed with some aspects of it. The insescent seatbelt chime caused me to be suicidal at times
6) Car had it's limits. The car didn't positively surprise me too often. It was as stated in all numbers by the manufacturer (hp,tq,0-60,1/4 mile, etc) at best. Felt the auto journalists were over enthusiastic... it was not the best thing since sliced bread as they had explicitly stated in atleast 1 article (C&D perhaps). Suspension was interesting with the multiple setting EDC feature for dampening, but had it's bad points compared to prior years. Not sure what it was, but car did not hold as well as the e46. Maybe something about the LSD, don't know the specifics of the e92 but the e46 had a 3.46 LSD from what I recall.
7) Came up to a $45k 335 with the $700 proceed chip and got a run for my money in my supposedly superior $76k M3. Wasn't too happy about that. Don't care that much about races and I know there's always other factors... but, c'mon.

POST TRADE-UP
8) Porsche is a true sports car in any raw comparison, period. You get the feel from the time you start up till you step out of the car. I wanted that. Have since murdered 335's modded out, an SL55 (I know I'll catch some controversy over that, but can only say what honestly happened) and have kept up or ahead with the best at times (1-1.5 cars ahead of my M6 to 150mph, stayed close with buddy's GTR and buddy's Gallardo, to the point where even he was truly shocked). I've got an internal confidence that I can walk all over an M3, though don't know much about the DCT. Feel I got more my money's worth with the Porsche once I got it and explored it, although my Porsche was about $40k more MSRP. Wow factor everytime I drive the car, which is almost everyday.
9) Have since extensively driven my buddy's GTR for 1 week straight once and many other times for short periods, and although superior in all major factors such as speed and handling IMO, I would not get one. Doesn't have that feel I get with the Porsche. Now when we hang out I lobby to take my porsche, as I don't care much to drive his GTR anymore, kind of past the glitzy glamour of that car. Honestly more towards the AMG feeling than the Porsche feeling IMO. The lambo, however..... I still salivate over that.
Great write up shuffles, and the Gallardo comments are spot on. You sit even lower on the Gallardo, mechanical noises are much closer to you, engine sound is way more exciting, and car has an exotic glamour the 997 can´t achieve. Every litlle ride you take on the Gallardo is an event, just sit in one of these beasts, and this felling alone is an event
As to the Nissan , they are great sports cars, but even if it had 700Hp, I wouldn´t take it over any 911.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ced
the DVD I purchased of all these exotic cars racing on the airfield from GTBoard / M5Board, showed a M5 smoking the M3 - not even close.
I know, you highlight the problem of using these videos as concrete evidence.

In order for an M5 to smoke an M3 like pictured, it would have to trap 10+ mph over it, it doesn't, trust me.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche Boy
JUst a few things I would like to ask. Is this c2s PDK with the lsd and catless option? I have gone up with a stock m3 and have beaten it like the video. Infact I have even raced an m6 with a catback. However he had 20 inch wheels. We went from a roll on at gear 1 up to around 180 kms and I was still infront. The new c2s pdk is pathetically fast for what it is. Just a work of art.
Believe all the facelift 997's get an LSD regardless of options and the LSD does not really matter when racing from a roll.

Was not familiar with a catless option, certainly not available here.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Ced
Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Ced
I know, you highlight the problem of using these videos as concrete evidence.

In order for an M5 to smoke an M3 like pictured, it would have to trap 10+ mph over it, it doesn't, trust me.
Videos are better than bench racing What's better proof? That's putting your money where your mouth is, trust the video. I can argue all day about the numbers and what the magazines say, but until I get off the bench and actually do some racing, then it's all talk.

Last edited by Ced; 05-30-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Ced
Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ced
Videos are better than bench racing What's better proof? That's putting your money where your mouth is, trust the video. I can argue all day about the numbers and what the magazines say, but until I get off the bench and actually do some racing, then it's all talk.
Are you kidding me? You miss the 1/4 mile time in my sig?

Bench racing includes sitting around watching videos rather then going out there and experiencing it on your own

Last edited by CURI0; 05-30-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 AM
Ced
Are you kidding me? You miss the 1/4 mile time in my sig?

Bench racing includes sitting around watching videos rather then going out there and experiencing it on your own
Maybe we need to define bench racing for you . I take videos over lip service anytime. I'm at the track all the time. How much track experience do you have? Any videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eisinUAXM

Last edited by Ced; 05-30-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Ced
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ced
Maybe we need to define bench racing for you . I take videos over lip service anytime. I'm at the track all the time. How much track experience do you have? Any videos?
Buddy, you seem to be a bit confused.

The videos are comparing straightline performance. We were discussing straightline performance when you incorrectly mentioned bench racing conveniently ignoring proof right in front of you of the exact opposite of bench racing. Now you are talking about the roadcourse, a whole different topic.

I think you should figure out what is you are saying to begin with and stick with it

Last edited by CURI0; 05-30-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Ced
Buddy, you seem to be a bit confused.

The videos are comparing straightline performance. We were discussing straightline performance when you incorrectly mentioned bench racing conveniently ignoring proof right in front of you of the exact opposite of bench racing. Now you are talking about the track.

I think you should figure out what is you are saying to begin with and stick with it
I got your buddy. How can a video confuse you??? Lip service can!!!

You lose . :dance:

Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ced
I got your buddy. How can a video confuse you??? Lip service can!!!

You lose . :dance:
A round of applause everyone, isn't he something?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Ced
A round of applause everyone, isn't he something?
LOL. Much love for my fellow Porsche owner.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
DLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond reputeDLSJ5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ced
Nice write up. BTW the M5 and M6 smoke the new M3.
Not quite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHcFhdk4zI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI0UycgReIA

I would love to run a PDK 997S, that one was very impressive in Gustav's vids!