997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM Voice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 AM
porscheman1963 is infamous around these parts
PCM Voice

My phone book transfers perfectly from my blackberry to the PCM and I added names to some of the contacts so I can just hit the voice button and say "call Bill". Everything works fine, however, as soon as I turn the car off, I seem to lose the memory of the names I just stored and the PCM tells me there is no such name. Anyone know about this ? Thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porscheman1963
My phone book transfers perfectly from my blackberry to the PCM and I added names to some of the contacts so I can just hit the voice button and say "call Bill". Everything works fine, however, as soon as I turn the car off, I seem to lose the memory of the names I just stored and the PCM tells me there is no such name. Anyone know about this ? Thanks
I am pretty sure that when you turn off the car the Blutooth connection is lost and access to the phone's phonebook is also lost. In other words, I don't think that the phonebook is stored in the PCM memory when there is no Blutooth connection

Last edited by Bonerwall; 05-28-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Hi thanks for the reply. The Bluetooth connection is lost but it would not make sense to me that each time I want to make a call with the voice control that I would have to program the name of the contact every time I started the car.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 PM
KenMarks is infamous around these parts
When I picked up my 2009 C4S I was told that the Bluetooth would sync all the contacts (over 4,000) in my iPhone every time I got in the car. After one week of using the car, PCM 3.0 does exactly that. I was also told that when the car was switched off or I disconnected the Bluetooth that all contacts would be lost. This was explained as a security issue and I think that is right. I don't want my contacts left behind when the Bluetooth is disconnected.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks KenMarks, I think I am not explaining my question the correct way. My contacts sync perfectly. When I leave the vehicle, the PCM does lose all the contacts until the phone is paired up with the PCM again. On the PCM u can add a voice name for a contact since I purchased the voice activation module. Once you add an audio name for a contact, that audio name should be saved so next time ur phone is paired up with the PCM, u can use the voice activation to call the contact. There is no way u r supposed to have to re-record the voice name each time you re- connect via BT.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porscheman1963
Thanks KenMarks, I think I am not explaining my question the correct way. My contacts sync perfectly. When I leave the vehicle, the PCM does lose all the contacts until the phone is paired up with the PCM again. On the PCM u can add a voice name for a contact since I purchased the voice activation module. Once you add an audio name for a contact, that audio name should be saved so next time ur phone is paired up with the PCM, u can use the voice activation to call the contact. There is no way u r supposed to have to re-record the voice name each time you re- connect via BT.
You don't need to do voicetags for each of your cellphones's phonebook entries - somehow Porsche's PCM Voice Activation function already knows them when it downloads your phonebook from your cell when you turn the car on. How this works I have no clue but it does - absolutely amazing! All my other cars with Blutooth and Voice Control (Acura, Infiniti, Corvette) required that you record a "voice tag" recording of you voice for each name you wanted to use. But in this version of PCM 3.0, when you use Voice Control and access via "Phone" and then "Phonebook" and then the person's "(name)" it somehow gets you where you need to go. Magic and mirrors! Usually the Japanese are light years ahead of the Germans when it comes to NAV/electronic system integration, but not in this case.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
jfr0317 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bonerwall
You don't need to do voicetags for each of your cellphones's phonebook entries - somehow Porsche's PCM Voice Activation function already knows them when it downloads your phonebook from your cell when you turn the car on. How this works I have no clue but it does - absolutely amazing! All my other cars with Blutooth and Voice Control (Acura, Infiniti, Corvette) required that you record a "voice tag" recording of you voice for each name you wanted to use. But in this version of PCM 3.0, when you use Voice Control and access via "Phone" and then "Phonebook" and then the person's "(name)" it somehow gets you where you need to go. Magic and mirrors! Usually the Japanese are light years ahead of the Germans when it comes to NAV/electronic system integration, but not in this case.
My wife's 07 BMW X5 works like this, except it wants you to use a German accent when you say the name! No joke! It doesn't understand my Texas accent, but if I try to fake a German accent, bingo!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Might want to try and do the voice "learning" piece of the voice control if you haven't already. Doesn't miss very often once I did that.

Originally Posted by jfr0317
My wife's 07 BMW X5 works like this, except it wants you to use a German accent when you say the name! No joke! It doesn't understand my Texas accent, but if I try to fake a German accent, bingo!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Does the Bluetooth option include voice activation per se or is it a separate option?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Voice control is a separate option as it extends well beyond the phone functions.

Originally Posted by adias
Does the Bluetooth option include voice activation per se or is it a separate option?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Bonerwall, I get it now. The voice recognition knows the name provided that I say it exactly the same way it shows on the Nav screen, thanks !!!! I love this feature !!!