997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question about worn front PS2s for track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Question about worn front PS2s for track

I've been lurking around this board for awhile and decided I couldn't stand it any longer and had to jump in on that heated debate with Curio on the E92 M3 vs 997s.

This board has been a wealth of knowlege for me and is greatly appreciated.

Now on to what I need some help with. I'm doing a two day DE at Road Atllanta next week and my front PS2s are down to between 3/32 and 4/32. Will these tires make it through the weekend and what kind of front grip can I expect? Are they used up? Should I go ahead and put some new fronts?

I want to do this DE on the street tires. After this I'll do a set of track wheels and tires and a little better track alignment. It's been a few years, but I do have track experience in three previous M3s. A couple of e36s and a e46. Always on street tires.

As the weekend progresses, I know I'll be picking up the pace pretty good and I'm wondering if thoses worn fronts is a bad idea. Should I go ahead and put some new fronts before? I was kinda hoping I could trash these on the track and then get some new fronts.

Any help from the track guys I see hanging around here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
can't really say without pics...depends on your cars set-up, the track and your driving style....the inside edge will be worn the most so be sure to remove the wheels and check the insides...if the inside edge is worn you won't pass tech...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Don't know what you are drivimg, and I've never been on RA, and I'm going to get grief for saying this, but I'd give them about 100 miles of hard driving on a dry track. Depending on who's running the DE there's probably some safety specs you may have to meet. Have fun!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree that it depends on your driving style. I have done DE's with hardly any wear at all, but those days are working strickly on my lines. My first day of the season litterly melted the PS2's, they are usually only good for a few laps at a fast pass, then they start melting and get greasy.

I am glad that you have made the switch to Porsche, these cars are a hell of a lot of fun on the track.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the help. The inside edges on the fronts look good. The car is a 997s with factory spec alignment. If 100 miles is it. They won't make it the second day. I think it's four 20 or thirty minute sessions a day on a 2.52 mile track.

Northvan, I don't think I'll be fast enough to melt them, but if I am there isn't much to melt.

The rears are almost new. Should I just go ahead and put some fronts on and have peace of mind?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 PM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
I would tend to agree with some of the other posters. They will do fine if you are working on your line and are braking progressively and are not constantly driving the fronts into hard understeer conditions. If you are braking hard, progressively moving your braking point down the track, taking the corners at the limit and getting on the gas as soon as you have the apex in sight then you need new tires.

In your shoes I would go with the tires you have and get the feel of the car on day one, and take the 2nd to last run of day 2 as fast as possible, work on another point in the last run of the day.

I never run as fast as possible on the first or last run of the day, I have seen many OTE’s on the first and last run of the day for that!

My experience is that PS2s get greasy when hot as well so watch for that.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks MartinJf. That's very good advice. Not having any track experience in a few years, I'm taking your advice. That's an excellent way for me to approach the weekend.

Your right about OTE's. Especially at the end of the second day. Speeds have picked up and fatigue sets in causing mistakes. I've somtimes skipped the last session on two day events for that very reason.

Northvan do you track your street tires?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
GTB/ZR-1 is infamous around these parts
One thing you'll be contending with is understeer the older, harder tires will give you.
I just ran my new-to-me 997 C2S this past weekend @ Sebring & had to manage a good bit of push due to the fact the (PS2s) rears are new & fronts are the original & 10 pts higher on the durometer.

It makes for safe, but slower corners.You can try to manage it by getting your braking done early & tracking out as wide as possible when back on the power.

Have fun!

Last edited by GTB/ZR-1; 05-31-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ng997
Northvan do you track your street tires?
Not normally, I did at the beginning of the season, day was wet at the beginning, dried up just as we got out for our last sesson, toasted the remaining amount of my PS2's.

I have a set of MPSC on 19" wheels and Yokohama 048's on 18" wheels, I have a set of Hoosier R6's coming in and will go on the 18's when the 048's are toast (not much longer with the amount of track time I have done so far).

Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Not normally, I did at the beginning of the season, day was wet at the beginning, dried up just as we got out for our last sesson, toasted the remaining amount of my PS2's.

I have a set of MPSC on 19" wheels and Yokohama 048's on 18" wheels, I have a set of Hoosier R6's coming in and will go on the 18's when the 048's are toast (not much longer with the amount of track time I have done so far).
What size tires on the 18" wheels and what kind are the wheels?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by ng997
What size tires on the 18" wheels and what kind are the wheels?

Thanks
Wheels are Volk TE37
245/35/18 on a 9" wheel (weigh 18 lbs + tire)
315/30/18 on a 11" wheel (weigh 20 lbs + tire)