997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997S Seat Stain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Jason94vr4 is infamous around these partsJason94vr4 is infamous around these parts
997S Seat Stain?

So I was in north Los Angeles and rented a 997S for a day. After I returned the car the rental agency claimed there were stains on the passenger seat (see attached pics, which I drove back to the agency to check the stains). The only way you could see them is if the top was down, it's out in the sun, and you're looking at the perforated seats from the side. The said on Monday (tomorrow) their upholstrey cleaner will see if he can get the stains out.

I'm not 100% positive if any of the passengers spilled anything in the car, but the only drinks that were brought in the car were Gatorade and Vitamin water. Which I don't think would cause these stains? Before I rented the car they mentioned a few scratches on the driver's side door, which they marked down so I wouldn't be liable. They mentioned nothing of the interior condition of the car, which after I started driving I noticed a nice gash in the rear passenger seat side panel. None of that was marked up on the contract, but they said "oh we knew about that". So I don't know if this "stain" was from a previous driver or what, because it's so hard to even see. When I picked the car up it was cold in LA, cloudy, and I kept the top up making the stain impossible to see.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the preforated seats, advice on how to get the stains out, or how I should handle this with the rental agency.

It was a fun car though, not exactly that fast, but drove well.

Last edited by Jason94vr4; 05-31-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Jason94vr4 is infamous around these partsJason94vr4 is infamous around these parts
Or how much does anyone think they'll charge me for this "stain"?

Last edited by Jason94vr4; 05-31-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Also I started getting a low engine oil warning light after driving the car 80 miles? Is this common for the 997s to burn a bunch of oil? The car only had 4000 miles on it? My Mercedes and Mitsubishi don't even burn that much. The Cessna 172s I fly for fun do, but they're planes not cars haha.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I wonder if the stains are from bird $hit, it is very common for the odd bird to aim for the nice clean convertable.

As for the oil, these cars do burn a little bit of oil, it is hard to say how much oil was in the car when it was delivered and if they ever added any.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
No food or drink allowed in my cars ever . As Northvan points out bird droppings or road grime is a convertible nightmare . Oil has been an issue on the 997.2 moreso than the first gen 997 cars . It may be normal .

What's the rental agency bill for this ? New seats are not cheap .

Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
No food or drink allowed in my cars ever . As Northvan points out bird droppings or road grime is a convertible nightmare . Oil has been an issue on the 997.2 moreso than the first gen 997 cars . It may be normal .

What's the rental agency bill for this ? New seats are not cheap .
No for or drink? Seriously? I could see if it was a super rare car, but a 997S isn't that rare. They're going to call me tomorrow about the seats. I guess not charge if they can get the stain out. I'm not sure what they would charge if they seats have to be replaced. I seriously doubt this stain was caused from my one day rental. For as much as I know about detailing/rebuilding engines/transmissions/cars in general I believe the stain was most likely already there.

Last edited by Jason94vr4; 05-31-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jason94vr4
No for or drink? Seriously? I could see if it was a supper rare car, but a 997S isn't that rare. They're going to call me tomorrow about the seats. I guess not charge if they can get the stain out. I'm not sure what they would charge if they seats have to be replaced. I seriously doubt this stain was caused from my one day rental. For as much as I know about detailing/rebuilding engines/transmissions/cars in general I believe the stain was most likely already there.
I don't even allow food or drink in my Honda . Bottled water only . Groceries in the trunk are ok but some are not permitted -- anything which can spill . I had won ton soup spill in a car once . No good . The soup wasn't even for me . I don't like soup unless I am very ill.

My cars are impeccable . In fact my reasoning to pass up a cab is because I don't like the idea of road filth blowing on me as well as my car cabin but I do understand that others view it differently . The car rental place apparently wants to rent a cab but wants those to rent it who are neurotic like me .

It will work out for you , Maybe it can be cleaned . A replacemrnt is very expensive .

Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !

It was a fun car though, not exactly that fast, but drove well.
Not fast enough uh!? Others disagre -https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...akin-fast.html

It's not a dragster if that's what you are after.

Re the seat... yes, any liquid, and Gatorade in particular, will forever mar the ventilated seats. What you see is the stained perforations not the top.

Rental cars and that include P-cars, F-cars, L-cars and others are trashed as those photos show. Renters just have no respect. They always say it's just a car and it's not this or that... sure, it's not THEIR car.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
they rent 997s? how much.lol

id say a good cleaner let it soak in to break down the stuff in the holes and itd be fine easy.. or steam it quick..

its just in the holes and such..

Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Not fast enough uh!? Others disagre -https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...akin-fast.html

It's not a dragster if that's what you are after.

Re the seat... yes, any liquid, and Gatorade in particular, will forever mar the ventilated seats. What you see is the stained perforations not the top.

Rental cars and that include P-cars, F-cars, L-cars and others are trashed as those photos show. Renters just have no respect. They always say it's just a car and it's not this or that... sure, it's not THEIR car.
Right, I know it's not the leather on the top that's not stained, but the suede in the perforations. Which I think should be easy to get out because it's not like soda/coffee.

No, not a dragster it that's not what I was after. After being use to a car in the 11s (3000GT) and 12s E55, it just didn't seem all that powerful. Should have went with a 997 turbo if they had one! But still a fun car to drive. Kind of like an S2000.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wa1l1in

id say a good cleaner let it soak in to break down the stuff in the holes and itd be fine easy.. or steam it quick..

That may work. BTW, I imagine the mess inside the foam channels, even after a cleanup...

If the rental co does not solve this, I can see the OP renting the car again for a day or two to take it to a high-end upholstery place to clean it - double jeopardy. But that's OK, these cars are not supercars and people are perfectly entitled to eat and drink in them.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by wa1l1in

It was like $575/day, 100 miles then $0.95/mile after that. Another place had 996 turbos for $750/day. They wouldn't rent to me since I'm 22 though

Yea, hopefully the upholstery guy they have doesn't suck. I mean it's not like they got the scratches repainted on the driver's side. The be honest my 3000GT VR-4, which is 15 years old was in just as good of shape if not better than their Porsche with 4000 miles. Steam cleaning I think would get it out.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
12s E55,
I don't know about a top down cab but a 997.2 coupe might take an E55 .

Even a 997 Turbo is not meant to be a dragster . People convert it into one and it can be a very serious 1/4 mi car but in its stock form it's more a luxury power car in many ways .

Here's an Evt700 Vs an E55 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4O_3-fB7U

Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
It was like $575/day, 100 miles then $0.95/mile after that. Another place had 996 turbos for $750/day. They wouldn't rent to me since I'm 22 though

Yea, hopefully the upholstery guy they have doesn't suck. I mean it's not like they got the scratches repainted on the driver's side. The be honest my 3000GT VR-4, which is 15 years old was in just as good of shape if not better than their Porsche with 4000 miles. Steam cleaning I think would get it out.
575/day jeez... can lease one for like 750/mon now... insane.. didnt think would be that high but i guess they gotta set themselves apart.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
I had no idea that could happen to perforated leather. All my previous cars have been BMWs without perforations. I just happened to by a Carrera s that had supple leather seats. I didn't like them that much. Seeing the stains, I like them alot better

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997S Seat Stain?