997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What makes the .2 "S" so freakin' fast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche Boy
Reason why the 997 c2s pdk is substantially faster:

1. Compression has been increased substantially
2. Direct fuel injection
3. Gearing ratio
4. Ultra fast shifts without power interuption
5. Less moving parts that equates to more efficiency
6. Now has lsd equipped

Yep ... all these points plus an improved bost structure over the 996 utilize the Hp more efficiency . Less Hp can be faster .

Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Ced
Ced is infamous around these parts
It's called the area under the hp and torque curves.... The average power. The gears are multiplying forces too that you must account for. The efficiency is important too, and the weight is important. There you have it.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
as you guys are learning it's not all about HP. Greek and Dog, you guys are now much better drivers than just a few months ago. I m happy you listened and got into DE's!

Next is Pagid RS29 Yellow pads and Toyo R888 tires! Swaping out the pads takes about 1 minute per wheel, silly simple. Come over and I will show you.

I run pagid yellows all the time. My car sounds like a school bus at stop lights

Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 58spdstr
The before and after (supercharger removal) lap times at Heartland Park in Topeka with my 2005 997S were 3 seconds per lap FASTER without the supercharger. This was Traqmate data which showed that I was about 5 mph slower at the end of the longest straight (fourth gear) without the blower, but quicker everywhere else on the track. The only other variables were other weight reduction mods (just under 3000 lbs without gas in the tank) and Hoosiers instead of R888's. Not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but same car and driver with and without the blower. On the track, the supercharger just generates too much heat to maintain the cold horsepower advantage you're measuring on the dyno. In addition, that's a lot of extra weight behind the rear axle that you can definitely feel in the corners.

I would like to know what the 997.2 weighs versus the version 1, but I suspect that it has just got everything optimized to extract its improved performance.
888's and blower vs Hoosiers and weight reduction certainly does not make it an apples to apples comparison on the track I'll take the insanely sticky tires and the weight loss over the added hp in a curvy situation.

Based on that, I'm not sure your before and after data is a good analogy.

Besides, heat soak is not an issue with highway runs.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I run pagid yellows all the time. My car sounds like a school bus at stop lights
I do not run the Pagids on the street. They glaze over with street style of braking. Swap you pads out and your Pagids will stop better at the track.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ced
It's called the area under the hp and torque curves.... The average power. The gears are multiplying forces too that you must account for. The efficiency is important too, and the weight is important. There you have it.
What is the weight of a .2 S model? I'm just guessing that it's probably 3250??

The transmission, from what I can tell, played no roll in this. We were at approx 50 mph. He selected a gear he was comfortable with and I did the same. These were simple highway roll ons. What I don't understand is that if you overlaid our dyno charts I can pretty much guarantee I'm making more power (HP and TQ) everywhere.

Help me understand this... As I said before, I've run a lot of other cars. It was fairly predictable based on their HP. This just makes no sense.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Jakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to beholdJakester1168 is a splendid one to behold
"as you guys are learning it's not all about HP. Greek and Dog, you guys are now much better drivers than just a few months ago. I m happy you listened and got into DE's!"

I of all people have to agree with Mike ...my 21 year old 911 jalopy has 185hp at the wheels, yet I if all goes well, I will be going to "yellow-solo" after our next DE in November, June and September are out for me as it's WAY too hot down here!...

Just let it go...the new 997s are really fast, have all the electronic helpers and The Greek can drive! So it's a good recipe for speed!

PS...I'm not sure Andrew is a better driver...I heard he needs to work on his fundamentals

Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
I do not run the Pagids on the street. They glaze over with street style of braking. Swap you pads out and your Pagids will stop better at the track.
I'm far too lazy. I know I should though.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
deputy,

My 997s.1 weighs in @ 3025. This is on my registration. Now, either they weigh it wrong, or Porsche is not being truthful with the real weight of the 997?

Unless your friends car is a ringer or weight is well under the official weight, his car should not beat yours. When was the last time you tuned your set up again? Maybe it's not running at it's optimal since the last time you tuned it?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Weight grows a lot with options. Add motorized seats, NAV and Bose and the weight goes up. My car was ordered with none of that, just to keep mass down.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deputydog95
What is the weight of a .2 S model? I'm just guessing that it's probably 3250??

The transmission, from what I can tell, played no roll in this. We were at approx 50 mph. He selected a gear he was comfortable with and I did the same. These were simple highway roll ons. What I don't understand is that if you overlaid our dyno charts I can pretty much guarantee I'm making more power (HP and TQ) everywhere.

Help me understand this... As I said before, I've run a lot of other cars. It was fairly predictable based on their HP. This just makes no sense.

Your best gear would have been 2nd.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Weight grows a lot with options. Add motorized seats, NAV and Bose and the weight goes up. My car was ordered with none of that, just to keep mass down.
Nav / radio pops out in under 30 seconds, passenger seat can easily be removed on most cars (not sure on 997, haven't tried it), and 99% of the options (bluetooth, park assist, etc) take up no more then a few grams, if any. A fully loaded 997 can easily weigh the same if not less (PPCB's, sport seats, etc) then a "well equipped" one.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Keep in mind on the 09 the Nav is not a heavy module like in the past. It's a micro chip controlled micro drive within the PCM head unit. Probably adds about 6 ounces. That's the reason I finally got Nav. Simiar w/ Bluetooth and Universal Audio - between all 3 I'm maybe 1 lb heavier. Manual seats here, nothing else weight-oriented ordered.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Not to threadcrap but does anyone have an idea of exactly how much some of the options weigh over their counterparts? In particular, things like the adaptive sport seats (over the no-adaptive sport ones), dynamic headlights, sports exhaust, etc?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
Keep in mind on the 09 the Nav is not a heavy module like in the past. It's a micro chip controlled micro drive within the PCM head unit. Probably adds about 6 ounces. That's the reason I finally got Nav. Simiar w/ Bluetooth and Universal Audio - between all 3 I'm maybe 1 lb heavier. Manual seats here, nothing else weight-oriented ordered.
Low mass PCM-integrated NAV fine, as well as Bluetooth and iPod interface.
I do not need NAV, but I ordered the other two.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What makes the .2 "S" so freakin' fast?