997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2006 2007 C4s shopping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Lenderman is infamous around these parts
2006 2007 C4s shopping

I have been searching the archives and surfing the web looking for answers. Is there any news of anyone with the 3.8 litre engine suffering an IMS failure for 2006 or newer? I am going to buy a C4s and want to make sure these years had no issues.

Any C4s owners that can give me some advice as to what options I should really look for? I live in the San Francisco Bay area and have been driving AWD Audi's and love the feel. I have owned a 944, a 928s4, and a 2003 Boxter. I test drove the C4s at a local dealership but it is a 2006 lease return and they have not given me a price for it yet.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
RMS is less likely from 06 on from what everyone on this board has told me. My friends 05 DD has 80K and has never had a problem...go figure. MY 06 has yet to burn any oil..then again, due to my OCD I change it ever 3000 miles.

Mine is still for sale BTW, it's in the market place section of this board.

GL ,
NYCPCAR

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
RMS is not common but can occur . Even less common is a front differential leak but I knew someone who faced it with an 07.

I know a used Turbo in your area which is a must see car if you are looking at used AWD cars . It was my friends car and I have no affiliation with the dealership but I know he took care of that car , hardly drove it and never modded it . It's a white 07 Turbo at Niello Porsche.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
For how much is yours selling?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
+1

I'd like to know too...

Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey Steph.., how soon are you going to buy? I am looking right now but am having trouble pricing out the c4s I want.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I am actually looking at C2S right now, but C4S would be cool, too. Larry (yrralis1) has provided some great suggestions, I just haven't found that perfect match yet.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
What is Larry's background? He seems quite knowledgeable.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lenderman
What is Larry's background? He seems quite knowledgeable.
Larry (me --lol) is an 8 time Porsche owner who happens to find entertainment follwing the market on the cars because I always learned something new when I traded in or sold my cars .

BTW -Nycpcar's C4S cab is very well kept . He and I have talked alot about his car in PM over the last year or so . If one is looking for a tiptronic Cab . his is a good car to consider.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Yrralis1 sounds much more exotic and "Porsche like" than Larry :-) You give out good advice. I assumed maybe you were in the business.

I would consider Nycpcar's C4S as I want a tip but my limit is 65k and I am under the impression he will want more than that.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lenderman
Yrralis1 sounds much more exotic and "Porsche like" than Larry :-) You give out good advice. I assumed maybe you were in the business.

I would consider Nycpcar's C4S as I want a tip but my limit is 65k and I am under the impression he will want more than that.
"yrral" is larry spelled backwards .
I don't know what NYCPCar wants for his car these days as I have not discussed it with him . What I do know is that he expresed that he took care of his car and lept the miles low . He was looking at the new ones and Turbos and was considering it.

I was never a car sales person but in my are I am known by many because the high end car comunity may seem big but it isn't . Being a "car guy" or enthusiast and buying these cars often the sales and service folks get to know me with time . Not just with Porsche but even BMW, Mercedes and Honda know me well. I know some guys at the two local Porsche dealerships for 20 years . In a way we grew older rtogether and have mutual respect . We become like family .

I learned alot from my own experiences wiith Porsches and most of the times the knowledge came when I went to sell or trade my car . That's part of why I know the used car market pretty well for these cars .

I would not want to work in the car business . Sharing what I have learned and seeing others enjoying their new cars is the most fun . Some folks here have saved money listening to my suggestions and others love the car so much that he'll buy it no matter what anyone says . It's all in good fun because the experience of owning a Porsche (at least to me) is priceless.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-03-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
I appreciate when people such as yourself share their experiences. It helps us all. I tried e-mailing nycpcar but his e-mail bounced back. I felt my offer would be too low for a car of the caliber he owns. By looking at the info provided by yourself and others, it looks like I will be buying a 2006 CPO with approx 30k in miles. I am trying to keep my out the door cost under 65k and that includes taxes. Since I am in Kalifornia, that tacks on almost a 10% premium to the agreed upon price. Add shipping and .., well you get the picture.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
When I first started looking for my first Porsche about two or three months ago (even though it felt like over a year now as I look back on things), I was totally naive to Porsche as I was coming from BMW's and Mercedes. As I was looking at used Porsche's only (due to my budget), that only made things more difficult as the market seemed to be moving daily and it was difficult to figure out what cars were worth (and most sellers, especially dealers, seemed to still be living in the good economic times). I got lots of great help here on the boards but Larry was 'DA MAN. Seriously, I can't believe the time he took to answer my questions both on my posts as well as PM's. He has such a great wealth of knowledge and he really kept me in check with reality. After all the looking, I ended up with the car of my dreams: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-porsche.html

Just don't get to discouraged and know that it is such a buyers market right now and if you miss out one car and/or pass on one car, there's going to be another around the corner. I ended up missing out on one car I was losing sleep over (a 2006 C2S Cab) and lo and behold, the car I have in the garage now turned out to be so, so, so, much better. Happy hunting.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for your input. I will keep looking. I have owned a a 944, a Boxster, and a 928s4. This will be my first rear engined car. Although I have gone to car control clinics where 997 were used, it was not a C4s so I am excited about the daily driving experience.