997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Owning a Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
mdj09 is infamous around these parts
Owning a Porsche

I know that there are other cars that will kill a porsche and is affordable but do people own porsche's becouse of the name and the qualtie that they bring kind of like ferrari?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdj09
I know that there are other cars that will kill a porsche and is affordable but do people own porsche's becouse of the name and the qualtie that they bring kind of like ferrari?
No. True Porschephiles like Porsches for their inherent design and driving dynamics and care less for their image and cachet.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdj09
I personally don't know of many cars that can do a 0-60 run bordering on 4 seconds and can handle the way a Porsche does, all while being significantly cheaper. If 0-60 times are important to you, so that you can get out in front of someone at a traffic light and "beat them" I think most people will tell you that this isn't the car you want. If you want a supercar that you can drive around every day, that isn't flashy, and that is actually practical, Porsche is one of the only games in town. How many cars do you know that can hold their own with a Lamborghini or Ferrari and still fit in a parking garage space? Thats why I'm getting one anyways.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Everyday supercars?

Z06 and GT-R are really fast for the money.

I chose the 911 because I've always wanted one.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
If you live in southern California, I bet most people buy the name more than anything else. Lots of people don't know anything about the car they bought. Same with their parents (who bought it for them too, probably). This was very apparent going to high school down here. But don't worry, I bought my car (not a Porsche, but from the same country) because it does everything I wanted. The name's just nice.

A Corvette and GTR can outrun a 911 C2S on a track, but I would choose a 911 (can't afford one ATM) because there probably is something special about an RR platform. My dad used to own a couple too, so I bet it would bring a smile to his face to see another one in the family again.

That said, the Corvette and Skyline have been out forever too, so they are legends themselves as well (the latter not in the US, really); probably one of the reasons why people will buy the next one once it comes out.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Other cars may be fast but I will quote Porsche (twice) first by saying it's a "precision driving instrument" .

I have never driven any other car like the 911 . In fact in its many decades of production I have been lucky enough to buy several and have followed this car as it evolved . From the earlier models with it's quirky offset pedals and the traditional five dials to it's moden car with PDK and i pod the car continues to hit home runs with it's peformance, reliability, and quality .

Other cars are respectable but Porsche "is all for some but not for all "

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
no. True porschephiles like porsches for their inherent design and driving dynamics and care less for their image and cachet.
+1 ..

Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
No. True Porschephiles like Porsches for their inherent design and driving dynamics and care less for their image and cachet.
+1

Drive one and you will know why people drive them.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 AM
DaveC is infamous around these parts
A little reading about the history of Porsche will go a long way toward understanding why a well informed buyer might choose a Porsche to drive. Part of the enjoyment of Porsche ownership comes from the connection to a record of design and engineering accomplishment tied directly to motorsport competition.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
uh, that might be a bit of an overstatement by saying "care less". Let's call it "pedigree" and most people do care. It's part of the pride of ownership.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the sentiment- However, every pcar owner I know loves their car for the "image" and pedigree. Not meaning "image" in the warped Hollywood look-at-me sense, more of the image associated with the car and history. Pcar owners are a specific breed of driver.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
I agree with the sentiment- However, every pcar owner I know loves their car for the "image" and pedigree. Not meaning "image" in the warped Hollywood look-at-me sense, more of the image associated with the car and history. Pcar owners are a specific breed of driver.
I agree with that in the sense that I admire the car's history an legacy. But that admiration is intellectual, not exterior. The car is not a prop to tell the world that I've arrived... but I know that for some it's only that. That is what I meant in my first comment.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with that in the sense that I admire the car's history an legacy. But that admiration is intellectual, not exterior. The car is not a prop to tell the world that I've arrived... but I know that for some it's only that. That is what I meant in my first comment.
Yep I hear ya- Though for me it is the exterior admiration as well.. .just look at that wide a$$!!

I love how the car feels when I drive it, and the feeling it gives me every day just looking at it. To me it is like driving a fine work of art. I could give a darn what anyone else thinks.. heh

Besides, in Beverly Hills everyone has one- they are like hondas around here (sad I know..). For this area it is a very average car and does not command undue attention. Works for me.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
If I just wanted passion and beauty I would buy an AM, or Ferrari or Lambo. If I wanted simple sterile muscle I'd buy a GTR. If all I wanted was a daily driver then an M3 would get the nod. And if image wasn't important then I'd buy a Vette. Although Porsche doesn't 'lead' in any of these categories, it manages to combine all the above features into an amazing package which is undeniable and doesn't exist in any other brand.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stardoc
If I just wanted passion and beauty I would buy an AM, or Ferrari or Lambo. If I wanted simple sterile muscle I'd buy a GTR. If all I wanted was a daily driver then an M3 would get the nod. And if image wasn't important then I'd buy a Vette. Although Porsche doesn't 'lead' in any of these categories, it manages to combine all the above features into an amazing package which is undeniable and doesn't exist in any other brand.
What if you just wanted a chick magnet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owning a Porsche