997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Clutch life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
TripleInboard is infamous around these parts
As a tangent but still a bit on topic. I know a guy that had a 2000 E39 M5 that he owned since new. Driven as his daily the clutch went out after 9k miles. He traded in the '00 on a new (at the time) '02 M5, and the original clutch is still there after 80k miles. Point is perhaps there could be a variety of factors which go into the life a clutch outside of driving style. Manufacturing defects, parts suppliers change, small updates, etc...

Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
This is one area where I have to agree with 1999Porsche911. I easily exceeded 100,000 miles on my 911 clutches. It's all in learning how to drive a stick. When I first started driving a stick I was terrible, going through a clutch in less than 50,000 miles. Some of that, I've been told, is attributable to smaller HP engines,--people have a tendency to slip clutches to make up for power shortcomings. Once I learned what was going on inside the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing, I never had to replace a clutch again. When I traded in my 1977 911S (purchased new) in 1983 for another 911, it needed an engine rebuild. (Typical of the magnesium cases.) When they tore it apart to rebuilt it at about 115,000 miles they simply left that original clutch in,--it had plenty of clutch lining left.

The 997S has another plus over the 997 which is a self-adjusting clutch. If you're in the market for a used 997 I would never consider a car that needed a new clutch in such a short time. Imagine what other things have been abused on that car, e.g., synchros, etc.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If you are only getting 32,000 miles, you should move to the PDK. Clutch change cost at an indy is between $1200 and $1500, including the kit.

BTW: How about a wager of a new car that I currently have a car that has more than 210,000 miles on it and the orginal clutch? Just because some people can't properly driive a stick doesn't mean the rest of us have a problem. But, then again, you also think a 997.2 would pull away from a supercharged 996 in a straight line
I don't bet . I have never replaced a clutch (resulting from wear and tear) . I don't keep my cars past 20K miles .

I did replace my clutch in my Turbo ONLY because a 700 Hp increase meant jumping to a stage 3 clutch . The car had under 4K miles and the stock clutch held 600 Hp with no problems. Plus I did a Gt2 conversion on it . It wasn't cheap.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is one area where I have to agree with 1999Porsche911. I easily exceeded 100,000 miles on my 911 clutches. It's all in learning how to drive a stick. When I first started driving a stick I was terrible, going through a clutch in less than 50,000 miles. Some of that, I've been told, is attributable to smaller HP engines,--people have a tendency to slip clutches to make up for power shortcomings. Once I learned what was going on inside the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing, I never had to replace a clutch again. .
Yeah right @@
Are you ready to attribute all mechanical wear related breakdown to lack of driver skill ? Would a worn out seat be a result of a big butt?

I have never kept a car to 100K miles in my life . I would be bored to tears with it by then , But if I did I would accept routine wear as a fact of life rather than blame myself when things wear out.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
you also think a 997.2 would pull away from a supercharged 996 in a straight line
Is this a conclusion or simply where you got tired of thinking? The 997.2 has enough class and sophistication that its ability does need to be defended . I could care less if you care to mount a rocket on the rear of a 996 it will never have what it takes to be in the same league as the 997 and that's why so many owners traded out of 996's and even Porsche replaced it . Besides ... it lost . Face it.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I know-well how to drive a 6 speed. My guess, as to why my clutch wore out at 32k miles is: my wife got stuck (badly) on our steep driveway, going up and down, etc. Painful, you get the picture. The whole garage stank of clutch when I got home. Or the previous owner (I acquired it at 12k miles) was heavy on it.

My point is: if you know what you're doing you should certainly get far more than 30k miles. But if you let someone unfamiliar with it drive it, it doesn't take much to burn it out prematurely.

Now, with my Stage2 clutch, it's tricky- there's very little gray area to it, it's either engaged or not, so you'd better 1.) have the rpm's ready, and 2.) have room in front of you. I now pay the valet to watch me park it.
CATTMAN

Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yeah right @@
Are you ready to attribute all mechanical wear related breakdown to lack of driver skill ? Would a worn out seat be a result of a big butt?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I know you are a mechanic of some kind, but surely you must know that the type of driving will impact the life of the clutch. 210k miles on the highway, 210k miles in the city, I doubt that it is possible. A clutch is like a brake pedal, it is designed to wear when used, don't use your brakes, they will last for ever. To say someone that can only get 32k on a clutch should move to a PDK is one of the least thought out statements you have made on this forum. Normally I respect your opinion, but you are off on this one.

Every independent and dealer I spoken to says 30-50k miles is the average.
Normally you respect his (1999porsche) opinion? You should lose rep points for that!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
OK. Question for you guys getting high mileage out of your clutch. Can you post what it is that you do that you feel others don't? What are your tips on how to a) get maximum life out of a 997 clutch and b) properly drive a manual transmission 997?

Last edited by swajames; 06-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Normally you respect his (1999porsche) opinion? You should lose rep points for that!
I have seen many posts by him that I don't like, but still respect his comments as being on the mark or close to it. Take all the rep points you want, this isn't eBay and it won't change the fact that I am full of $hit on 95% of my posts!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by swajames
OK. Question for you guys getting high mileage out of your clutch. Can you post what it is that you that you feel others don't? What are your tips on how to a) get maximum life out of a 997 clutch and b) properly drive a manual transmission 997?
When downshifting always match engine speed to tranny speed.

When upshifting, don't lay on the gas until you have the clutch fully engaged.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 PM
There are many posts on this forum (search feature) which discuss clutch issues. The extreme cases require replacement and the mild still require an in house service . Porsche requires major maintenace at varous intervals (PDF) http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default

Here is an example of one member facing a big hurdle at 17500 mi and on the thread it was not uncommon to see 30K and 50K miles are possibilies .
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...need-help.html

Guessing the life expectancy of an auto part is speculative but if one is buying a used car there is unknown history .

in Rye's case it's a good question to ask because he's looking at cars .

Of course some drivers are careless but unless Porsche offered a 200K mi full cluch replacemrnt warranty on all cars (which they don't) then the bill will be handed to the car owner .

Whether it's at 17K mi , 30K mi , 50K mi or 200K mi --it's not a cheap repair .

Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Jeez - if the clutch in my 997 wears out after 50,000kms I'll have to trade it in on an Auto sedan. Never heard such nonsense.

We regularly keep our cars for 5 years and many have been manuals. Haven't replaced a clutch since the early 90's and that was in a 150,000km old Alfa which was owned by someone else for the first 100,000km.

Come to think of it my 1973 Alfa GTV still has it's original clutch after 93,000 miles.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM
supergoji is infamous around these parts
122,000 miles on my 1996 300zx clutch. and i beat on it good.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is one area where I have to agree with 1999Porsche911. I easily exceeded 100,000 miles on my 911 clutches. It's all in learning how to drive a stick. When I first started driving a stick I was terrible, going through a clutch in less than 50,000 miles. Some of that, I've been told, is attributable to smaller HP engines,--people have a tendency to slip clutches to make up for power shortcomings. Once I learned what was going on inside the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing, I never had to replace a clutch again. When I traded in my 1977 911S (purchased new) in 1983 for another 911, it needed an engine rebuild. (Typical of the magnesium cases.) When they tore it apart to rebuilt it at about 115,000 miles they simply left that original clutch in,--it had plenty of clutch lining left.

The 997S has another plus over the 997 which is a self-adjusting clutch. If you're in the market for a used 997 I would never consider a car that needed a new clutch in such a short time. Imagine what other things have been abused on that car, e.g., synchros, etc.
I agree. There are 2 kinds of Porsche drivers. Those who like it for the cachet and bragging rights and they wear out a clutch in no time (see example THREAD HERE). And those who actually know and appreciate the car for its road driving abilities and their clutch lasts a long time - these are often labeled arrogant by the other camp. And these people who make their clutches last are no slow-pokes either, many actually push the car to very high limits, it's just that they are not drag strip drivers.

It's ridiculous to see a 911 in a 1/4 mile contest. It just does not belong there. YMMV.

Last edited by adias; 06-11-2009 at 10:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Clutch life