997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need some help - oil post throttle body - black exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM
omes is infamous around these parts
Need some help - oil post throttle body - black exhaust tip

Hey all i need a bit of help here.

I am pretty new the p-car world so forgive me if some of my terminology isn't correct.

I have had my 08 C4S for about a month (bye bye E60 ///M5) and with some knowledge shared on this board and from my local tuning shop I decided to go with a couple of little mods for my Carrera.

I went with the GIAC software tune, Evolution Motorsports Intake and AWE Exhaust and AWE Tips.

When I picked the car up I loved the way it felt and sounded, so much more responsive on the throttle and felt like I definitely picked up some ponies which was a real treat.

After a day or two I noticed the drivers side exhaust tip had some heavy soot starting to build up and nothing on the passenger side (clean). I talked to my tuning shop and they had me come right in and re-loaded with a different version of the GIAC sofware. Anyways...car still feels great but I have this mystery soot build up on the drivers side exhaust tip.

I started peaking around the engine bay and just noticed that I have what looks to be some oil staining on the ...pardon my terminology ....the intake side, post throttle body / plenum - driver's side.

This makes some sense as the sooted exhaust tip is driver's side as well.

Any idea what is happening here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Side note....I have notice some increase in oil consumption.

Please see attached pics.

I found this (cylinder out of round - replace engine! https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...w-problem.html) ....i wonder if I should take to dealer....

Cheers
Omar.

Attached Images     

Last edited by omes; 06-07-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if you are still under warranty take all the after market parts (including exhaust) and flash off the car before you take it to the dealer (unless the dealer did the install) so they have no excuse to not honor the warranty...it is also possible that the aftermarket intake is the problem...good luck

Old 06-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks Chuck, my understanding is the GIAC is virtually undetectable, the intake for sure will come off pre-dealer visit!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I wouldn't have thought about the exhaust either but recently an rms warranty claim was denied by a Porsche dealer because of an aftermarket exhaust...so I would remove that too...I just thought that with the intake off and the exhaust off the GIAC program might cause some issues and it would be better to flash back to stock and re-flash later

Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I agree with Vse Chuck.
I never had this problem with my two 997S cars and am not a technican but after reading this thread from 2005 it seems like you are not alone with the issue https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...aust-soot.html

Those cars look stock too. It may be coincidence that you noticed this after fun drives with yoir new parts.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks all, I am going to remove the CAI and book and appt with the dealership.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Michael2364 is infamous around these parts
Omes, mine is alot worst than that. The car runs mint, but after reading this I'm gonna have mine checked ASAP. My oil consumption is about 1 qt every 800-1000 miles. And those are lame just driving around miles, no track or racing stuff. If I get a diagnosis from Porsche before you, I will post it.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Michael2364
Omes, mine is alot worst than that. The car runs mint, but after reading this I'm gonna have mine checked ASAP. My oil consumption is about 1 qt every 800-1000 miles. And those are lame just driving around miles, no track or racing stuff. If I get a diagnosis from Porsche before you, I will post it.
Thanks Michael.
I will watch for you post.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Michael2364
That is a lot compared to my car (unless I am on the track, then I have to add a litre (about a quart) every 5 track days.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Omes -- any chance of taking the parts off and trading it in before even requesting or inviting any service drama ?

It doesn't look good . You could hedge the loss right here . It's a tough pill to swallow.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
You drove for a month (you don't mention milage) and if it is an 08 it must have preowned miles on it. You saw no problem. You had mods installed and now there is a (very noticeable) problem. Seems obvious to me. Off the mods and see if it goes away. Find out why intake is leaking. It should not be. Sounds to me like shop mis installed something. I see no connection w the out of round issue. I suspect the intake is messed up. Please report back.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I put on about 1800kms on the car since I got it....it now has 8500kms on it.
I didn't notice on my stock tips, as there were just the steel one's and kind of tucked under the car and only had the car for a week before the mods went on. I did notice some black residue on the bumper from the exhaust on my first couple of washes but never really clued in. Booked in at my tuning shop tomorrow for an appt to take a peak then possibly off to the dealer after that.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I wish you the best . I hope I am wrong because it would make you happy . Realize this though --once you open the door to an oil leak on a Porsche it's a biggie . I understand cost is a factor . Good luck.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Update : Pictures of Stock Tips

Well looks like my stock tips show the same caliber of soot build up.

Car is booked in next week at the porsche dealership for a look and see.

Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Update:
Car went into dealership today and upon inspection I received a phone call this afternoon that my dealership sent the borescope camera footage to Porsche Germany and Porsche Canada and requested a new engine be sent to be installed into my car.
They didn't indicate exactly what the problem was (will probe more tomorrow) but was told once this caliber of request is made they have never been turned down.
Nearest engine is in Texas and look like will be 7-10 days for delivery then install booking.
I guess my sooted exhaust tips were worth looking into deeper.....
Lets just say it is going to be a fun 7-10 days beating on what is left of my current engine!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some help - oil post throttle body - black exhaust tip