997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 Lower Control Arms versus Tarrett Camber Plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:39 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zoomzoommo
I'm unsure of the differences between the cup and standard GT3 lower control arms.

I did spend lots of time researching this upgrade for my 997, and ended up ordering the parts from Sunset. Here is the best thread I've found on the subject:

http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...trol-arms.html

For the trailing arm, I had a local machine shop make two 8.5 mm thick washers, per the thread. I bought a 12" stick of 1.50" diameter aluminum, so it was a simple job for the shop. I think they charged $35. Lots of guys stack washers, but this didn't seem right to do. If you spend three times as much, you can get the 997 GT3 lower control arms and not worry about this issue.
Thanks man, I already got some answers about this topic from a friend

Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM
stevek-o is infamous around these parts
GT3 lower control arms

I need to do the GT3 lower contol arm upgrade. But since I just corded the outside front my track tires due to not enough negative camber and had to do a trackside Hooiser purchase, I am low on funds. Where have people found the best price on these two-piece arms?

Thanks,

Steve
2005 Boxster S

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
you will ruin he hoosier on 1 day without more than -2.5 to -3.5 front camber

Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
you will ruin he hoosier on 1 day without more than -2.5 to -3.5 front camber
Yes, I know. I ran them a bit at BIR and had a lot of front outside wear. I was planning to go to Road America in a couple weeks, but I won't go back to the track until the camber is fixed.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:04 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
There really aren't and smokin deals to be had on the arms. Tarett is probably the best deal and he'll supply the washers. His spacers are much cheaper than OEM as well.

I used the 16mm on each side plus the litronic 1mm.

Min camber I can get is 2.3 degrees.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by atr911
Min camber I can get is 2.3 degrees.
Thanks, Tarett does look good as they will make up the bushing spacers needed to use the stock trailing arms. I did notice they were much cheaper on the arm spacers too. I just need to save the cash now.

When you say min camber of 2.3 degrees, does that mean you can not get more negative than -2.3 degrees? I want to get to be able to get to at least 2.5 negative and maybe 3.0 negative. I am interested to figure out the right arm spacers I need.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
With the 16mm shims the least I can get is 2.3. I can adjust on the upper mounts for -3.0 + degrees.

Be aware that tires will wear and the car will tramline (follow camber and cracks) on the street.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I run -2.2 front zero toe and -1.8 rear and .16 (max) toe and my street tires are wearing good and my track tires are wearing good.

It is the toe that really wears the tires.

Before I had GT3 lower control arms my max front camber was -1.4 with the Sport PASM and in my other Carrera S cars with regular PASM it is only -1. However I got excellent street tire wear that those setting with the same toe settings I am currently running.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the specs. I currently have -0.75 camber front with no toe. In the back , I have -2.0 camber and 0.2 toe total (0.1 per side). That was the most I could get out of the front. I corded the front outside edge on a nice set of Sport Cups with that. The new Hoosiers look bad in the front after running a few sessions, rears look to be wearing even. I need more negative camber in the front, but maybe -2.2 is enough.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevek-o
Thanks for the specs. I currently have -0.75 camber front with no toe. In the back , I have -2.0 camber and 0.2 toe total (0.1 per side). That was the most I could get out of the front. I corded the front outside edge on a nice set of Sport Cups with that. The new Hoosiers look bad in the front after running a few sessions, rears look to be wearing even. I need more negative camber in the front, but maybe -2.2 is enough.
For R-comp tires you need WAY more camber up front. You need to track with street tire or at the max a Toyo R888. You will continue to ruin tires outside edge until you get more camber or adjust your driving to suit the set up of the car.

Keep front and rear with in .5 of a degree.....so if you run -.75 front you need to be at -1.4 ish rear MAX... -2 with your current alignment is cause your front to push and further wear out the front tires. Reduce you rear camber so that the rear can rotate some and the car will actually run a little better...however for the tires you are running you need way more camber in the front.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I was planning to go to Road America in a couple weeks, but I won't go back to the track until the camber is fixed.
I promise I won't. Tires are a terrible thing to waste.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996toomey
I paid $595 a piece for the GT3 cup lower control arms. I have them on my car. Mine are Porsche Motorsports parts. I bought them from GMG but checked around and in May 2008 that was the going rate.
get 996 gt3 LCAs - they are $600 for both arms. they do fit 997 car.

now about hoosiers - even with 2.3f 2r degrees of camber but with stock shocks and springs my car did not get much benefit. it needs way more camber like 3f 2.7r and way stiffer springs/shocks. now with kumhos v700 traction is way better than with hoosiers and outer wall of rear tires not getting damaged at all. on hoosiers it got almost completely eaten up when tires were 50% used so I had to flip them around.
hopefully with new suspension hoosiers will start working properly.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-06-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
now about hoosiers - even with 2.3f 2r degrees of camber but with stock shocks and springs my car did not get much benefit. it needs way more camber like 3f 2.7r and way stiffer springs/shocks.
996 GT3 LCAs for me. I have PASM (and Sport Chrono if it matters) on my 987S so I am hoping to don't need more than negative 2.5 degrees camber in the front. If that is not enough, I will go back to Sport Cups or something else when the Hoosiers are done.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:01 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
996 GT3 LCAs for me. I have PASM (and Sport Chrono if it matters) on my 987S so I am hoping to don't need more than negative 2.5 degrees camber in the front. If that is not enough, I will go back to Sport Cups or something else when the Hoosiers are done.
i think better advice was to use toyo ra1 instead of hoosiers - those should work fine with this camber. why not to try hoosiers as well, it is all fun.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
vjramire is infamous around these parts
GT3 Control Arms

Hi (to: mobonic),
Can you still get deals on GT3 Control Arms?
Tried to PM you but I'm new to the forum. Please e-mail me at vjramire@yahoo.com since I don't check in frequently.
Thanks!
Vince

Originally Posted by mobonic
If you want to get more than 1º of negative camber you have to go with the GT3 control arms.

I went through this whole discussion with numerous tuners and shops.

If you want to do it right, and get some real camber for the track go with Porsche GT3 Control arms.

I just did this mod and went from -0.6º to -3.5º

It was like driving a new car on the track. I was laughing after my first few turn and was finally feeling the car more.

If you want to get a set of the Porsche Motorsports GT3 control arms PM me as I can get you a deal through my friend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Lower Control Arms versus Tarrett Camber Plates