997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 Lower Control Arms versus Tarrett Camber Plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i always assumed all you needed in rear to get to -2deg camber was an adjustable toe link
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm

as you cannot get -2 deg camber in rear with stock toe link and remain at 0.10 toe setting. adjustable toe link will allow you to get to -2 deg camber in rear. front gt3 arm will allow up to -3 deg camber in front.

now if you chew up your tire edge that means soft springs and a lot of body roll. to change springs/shocks is one way, cheap fast way to reduce body roll is to install GT2 sway bars - tarett sells them with droplinks, do that first. rear install is DIY, very easy, front one is a PITA to some degree and really needs a lift to get it done easily, research it.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I've got stock everything except the GT3 control arms / wishbones and rear toe links. After many years of this at high rates of use (instructor level), I've had only even tire wear. Trust a good set-up shop that knows the 997 and you won't have tire issues.

My suspension is stock 997.2 Sport PASM.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Nittos on 997 sizes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Doc you're going to kill any so call slick or R-Comp tire with less than -2 degree of camber up front. Stay with streets until you get your corner speeds up and get proper alignment.

Also for a 997 car Nitto nt01 do not have the proper sizes in 18". Your rear tires have to be taller than fronts.
Not in the NT01 model. I have seen 997's with NT01 (245 40 18) front and NT05 (305 35 18) rear. Claimed to be the same rubber compound just a different tread. The size ratio is good to go.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jurnes
Not in the NT01 model. I have seen 997's with NT01 (245 40 18) front and NT05 (305 35 18) rear. Claimed to be the same rubber compound just a different tread. The size ratio is good to go.
it is first time i hear NT01 and NT05 have same rubber. Nt05 is a street rubber with treadwear 200.
Toyo RA1 and Nitto NT01 are claimed to be based on same compound.

nitto has new NT555RII tire that is apparently a road-racing version of a drag radial NT555R tire but I have no idea of how good it is and never saw anybody using it. size wise it may work as its 305/35r18 tire has 26.3" diameter. who knows.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...w/viewall.html

'Striking the balance is the challenge. Nitto found that balance by starting from a clean sheet with the NT05’s dry, sticky compound with added stiffeners and silica to increase tire strength, wear and wet-traction abilities'

it is not nearly same compound.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i always assumed all you needed in rear to get to -2deg camber was an adjustable toe link
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm

as you cannot get -2 deg camber in rear with stock toe link and remain at 0.10 toe setting. adjustable toe link will allow you to get to -2 deg camber in rear. front gt3 arm will allow up to -3 deg camber in front.

now if you chew up your tire edge that means soft springs and a lot of body roll. to change springs/shocks is one way, cheap fast way to reduce body roll is to install GT2 sway bars - tarett sells them with droplinks, do that first. rear install is DIY, very easy, front one is a PITA to some degree and really needs a lift to get it done easily, research it.
Paul and Ron -- Thanks for the feedback. No doubt this cars rolls a lot. I've seen it in my track pics though I guess it's also obvious given that it's ~3600lbs on stock springs, etc. I won't do springs for reasons I mentioned, so sway bar (in conjunction with links and LCA's) could be the way to go.

I wonder if the GT2 sway bars will fit my 4S. Suncoast site says 2006-2008 GT3, so maybe it's just for narrow bodies?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
call tarret and discuss, they are nice to deal with. i do not own widebody car so i do not know, i would be 80% sure sway bars are same as i never saw a 'C4S specific' bars.
when you call them ask what bars they sell, you want newer stiffer bars which are usually called 'GT2' bars but in reality they are GT3 bars, just newer model. older model has thinnier rear bar than this new one.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Tarett sells 997.2 GT3 sways. For C4S you just need different drop links in the front, all the sway sizes are the same.

The .2 GT3 sways are stiffer in rear & softer in front vs. the .1 GT3 , that's what you want.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is first time i hear NT01 and NT05 have same rubber. Nt05 is a street rubber with treadwear 200.
Toyo RA1 and Nitto NT01 are claimed to be based on same compound.

nitto has new NT555RII tire that is apparently a road-racing version of a drag radial NT555R tire but I have no idea of how good it is and never saw anybody using it. size wise it may work as its 305/35r18 tire has 26.3" diameter. who knows.
The NT-05s I saw on the rear of the 997 were listed as tread ware 100. I did not have the opportunity to talk to the car's owner.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
sway bars

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Tarett sells 997.2 GT3 sways. For C4S you just need different drop links in the front, all the sway sizes are the same.

The .2 GT3 sways are stiffer in rear & softer in front vs. the .1 GT3 , that's what you want.
RSS, TPC (and others) offer model specific sway bars that are not re-bagged GT3 bars

Old 10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
akirasan is infamous around these partsakirasan is infamous around these parts
KonaKai: LCAs are the way to go, understanding that we C4 folks are limited on maximum negative camber based on front axle (dis-)engagement. Guess your spring comments were separate PMs but simply going with the TechArt springs kept all the street drivability while the slight drop bought a little free static negative camber. I'm running RSS sways F&R set to mid for the moment, now that I have my Nittos (245/40 18 & 305/35 18) I may dial to full to change roll rate. Good enough for 1:53s at Sears Point...

Jurnes: perhaps the Nittos you saw were NT555RIIs - those are the same compound as the NT01s and have the benefit of being able to be flipped side to side a la R888s for bonus life.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jurnes
The NT-05s I saw on the rear of the 997 were listed as tread ware 100. I did not have the opportunity to talk to the car's owner.

Are you sure they were 05s? I have them on my S2000 and

1. They are 200TW

2. They do not have the same grip of either the R888 or the RA1.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by akirasan
KonaKai: LCAs are the way to go, understanding that we C4 folks are limited on maximum negative camber based on front axle (dis-)engagement. Guess your spring comments were separate PMs but simply going with the TechArt springs kept all the street drivability while the slight drop bought a little free static negative camber. I'm running RSS sways F&R set to mid for the moment, now that I have my Nittos (245/40 18 & 305/35 18) I may dial to full to change roll rate. Good enough for 1:53s at Sears Point...

Jurnes: perhaps the Nittos you saw were NT555RIIs - those are the same compound as the NT01s and have the benefit of being able to be flipped side to side a la R888s for bonus life.
Which Nittos do you run that are size 305 35 18?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 AM
akirasan is infamous around these partsakirasan is infamous around these parts
NT555RII - road course version of the 555, NT01 compound, 555 tread pattern. Overview from Nitto's site:

The Nt555RII is a D.O.T.-compliant road race competition radial designed with the muscle car racer in mind. Using the same computer-designed tread pattern as the NT555R, the Nt555RII has been thoroughly updated to handle the task of road racing. Construction modifications were made to enhance cornering feedback, controllability and stability

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks. Is this a reasonable substitute/replacement for the NT-01?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Lower Control Arms versus Tarrett Camber Plates