997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ferrari 360 v.s. CS/CS2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Porscheburn is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb Ferrari 360 v.s. CS/CS2

In case you haven't noticed, the F-cars 360 have plummeted in used car pricing. Clean, no stories, under 10k miles cars are having trouble being moved at $75,000. There are predictions that 2010, perhaps earlier, that the actual sales prices will need to be in the $50,000 range.

It occurs to me that out of the blue, a Ferrari 360 purchase can be on a buyers list of options when looking for $75K or under mid/rear engined sports cars.

Has any thought about this recently? I am a present 430 owner, previous 360 and am looking for 997 convertibles.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I have driven a friend's 360 briefly, had owned 997S for 3+ years.

The only thing that the Ferrari 360 can give me is its brand name and attention. I don't feel that it can handle much better than my 997S. For daily use and not wanting to attract a lot of attention, keep the 997S all day long (especially that I have a limited production club coupe). So for me, no itch to buy a 360 at all.

For me to upgrade to or add a Ferrari to my collection, it has to be significantly better than a Porsche GT3 (my next car).

Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Porscheburn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I have driven a friend's 360 briefly, had owned 997S for 3+ years.

The only thing that the Ferrari 360 can give me is its brand name and attention. I don't feel that it can handle much better than my 997S. For daily use and not wanting to attract a lot of attention, keep the 997S all day long (especially that I have a limited production club coupe). So for me, no itch to buy a 360 at all.

For me to upgrade to or add a Ferrari to my collection, it has to be significantly better than a Porsche GT3 (my next car).
I would agree with most of your comments. The 360 does have greater curb appeal and a glorious Ferrari engine and its accompanying sounds.

I feel it is a bit more comfortable but this isn't a huge issue one way or the other.

It's a reflection of the times just to have this discussion. I don't envy anyone who is holding a 430 or 360 at the moment unless they enjoy taking it in the depreciation shorts a couple of hundred thousand.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Truth be told, I'd not thought of a Ferrari as a daily driver. Probably a combination of perceived cost, lack of even a tiny back seat (I tote my son around in my Carrera), cost of repairs and insurance, vulnerability to akward staring, etc.

I do covet a Ferrari, but it couldn't be my daily car, as my 997S is currently.
CATTMAN

Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
shuffles is infamous around these parts
I've noticed the attractive pricing myself on 360's. For me, it would be just based on the fact that I've always wanted a ferrari. I've driven 360's a bit and could probably make a long list of what's better / worst than my 997s but it would be futile; they're different cars. I would not trade my 911 for that car, and unfortunately for me I can only afford one "expensive" (100k + type) car at a time, and I'm already feeling overstretched with an M6 and my 911. Luckily the M6 lease is up beginning of next year, maybe if things are going better financially then I will look into the ferrari once that's done. I just will not give up the 911 though.

If I could have them both together (the ferrari being a mostly garage queen), I would at these prices. But their price is plummeted because I feel most people would have them as garage queens, and as you know vacation homes and weekend cars are the first thing to take a hit when the economy suffers.

Last edited by shuffles; 06-09-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I would think especially after looking to Ferrai service prices and intervals that the 997S Porsche would be much better for a drivers car that you could use every week.

I am a track rat and I know that a Ferrari will not last as long with track duty. However with the F1 transmission a Ferrari 360 can be faster at the track.

Ferrari wins the curb appeal and engine sound and possibly driving fun game.

I am a Porsche owner BUT if I could get a under 10,000 mile say 2006 Ferrari 360 F1 for around $50-70k I would go with the Ferrari....the fun factor has to be amazing.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Ferrari wins the curb appeal and engine sound and possibly driving fun game.

I am a Porsche owner BUT if I could get a under 10,000 mile say 2006 Ferrari 360 F1 for around $50-70k I would go with the Ferrari....the fun factor has to be amazing.
Yes it is purely the curb appeal for me too, but almost worth it. Still wouldn't switch, but a second car all day. This thread got me checking out craigslist for prices around town, have yet to find one anywhere less than ~$85k in the LA area, I believe an 2003 at that price. I did, however, find an F430 F1 3k miles in a nice color combo for $149k.... hmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
This is kind of the dilemma I'm facing right now. I'm looking not for a daily driver, but a weekend / going out / have fun in car. The C4S I'm about to place an order for (~$130k) is within the range of a used 2005 F430.

The 911 is certainly more drivable and useable (can drive in the winter, leave it in parking lot without coming back and finding puddles of drool around it, etc) but when I already have a very useable daily driver (Audi A4) is sensible something I should really care about?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Michael2364 is infamous around these parts
I do not own a 360 but have access to one on a regular basis. I have about 4k miles of seat time in it. I also have about the same amount of seat time in a F430.That being said, I would not want one. They're fun to drive but thats about it. About $3-5K to change the timing belts every 3 years or 20k mikes which ever comes first is absurd. I think I have one Ferrari dealer on Long Island. Imagine going out of state and having a mechanical issue with it? Your screwed period. At least a regular service place can fix a 997 and you can go to autozone and get many of the parts if need be in a pinch.
The 360 is fast but the 997s is right there. Now the f430,well that is a different animal all together, but I still wouldn't want one.
I would never consider either a daily driver ever. You think your gt3 lip hits on a p car? The ferrari is a disater. I cant even get it in my drive way, and my pcar with aero cup and lip clears it no sweat.
If you want hey look at me, then the Ferrari is for you. If you want similar performance but a little more stealthy , a back seat and the ability to go to the supermarket (god forbid)go for the p car. Just my opinion.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The 997 is the only supercar you can drive every day. The 360/430 isn't. Finicky, limited visibility, atrocious service prices, subject to drool and key marks if left in the mall parking lot.
OTOH, as a weekend driver, a Ferrari would be fabulous. With limited driving miles the interval service pricing is not a great concern, there's limited vandal risk, and the visibility is a non issue. You're driving it out on the open road.
But for such duty, it's the 430 that you seek. It's a magnificent car. There's pride of owning a relatively rare car. And nothing sounds like an F-car.
I already have a garage queen. But if I didn't, at today's prices, I'd consider adding a Ferrari. But add, not replace.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Ferrari maintenance is an entirely different ball game . With Porsche the resources available for technicians to look up and resolve problems are organized . With Ferrari it's not the same plus it's more expensive and when it comes to depreciation miles on an F car are a huge negative . Everywhere you park it will have finger prints of people looking in on the car and it's flashy styling can also attract negative attention .

If you don't mind hearing "it's on boat from Italy" as you wait for a part .. or paying big bucks for routine service .. buy the F car .

My local dealership sells both . I look and respect the cars .. just don't want one .. too much high priced headache to make it fun.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yrralis1

My local dealership sells both . I look and respect the cars .. just don't want one .. too much high priced headache to make it fun.
sounds a bit odd coming from a guy who has 200k in his 911

i think Jay Leno nailed it in one of his PM articles. he said out of all the exotics, Porsche is the most reliable period and whats the fun in having a lambo or ferrari when you're afraid what might happen if you drop that clutch.

he said with porsche, you can beat on it and not have to worry.

especially with older ferraris, i have seen many owners walk on egg shels trying to protect their baby.

with those cars, the entry fee is just the beggening. you better have a sizable nest egg if you really want to enjoy them the way they are meant to be enjoyed

Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bara
whats the fun in having a lambo or ferrari when you're afraid what might happen if you drop that clutch.
From what I know about the newer Lambo's (Gallardos atleast), they are fairly decent to beat on in a mechanical sense. Many of the internals are shared with Audi, and their warranty is on par with other Audi vehicles. However, service itself is a nightmare, it's slow and expensive. That's what my friend that owns an '06 tells me, but I think it was before he spent $4200 replacing a slightly cracked windshield

Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Bara -
The Gt1 engine is reliable enough that I was willing to buy the mods . Plus the tuner's whom I have chosen have spent a great deal of time in research and development to make the products .

I wouild not do the same with Ferrari . Maybe a Tubi exhaust and that's it.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
You guys are reminding me of saying in the horse world. "The cheapest thing you will do is buy the horse then the expense begins" That sounds like it about sums it up with Ferrari. The car is just the beginning. OTOH, to have one sitting in my garage would be nice, but would rather have a GT3 or yrralis1's TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ferrari 360 v.s. CS/CS2