997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Retrofitting PASM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
Retrofitting PASM

Is it possible to retrofit PASM to non PASM equip car? If so how much will it cost. This past weekend, i drove my brother's 09 c2s and the ride felt much better in terms of evening out bumps and whatnot.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Anything is possible, as long as someone is willing to pay for it!

I think it would be cheaper to sell your car, and then buy a C2S of the same year, a lot of work to change this over.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a non-PASM car that's a blessing. You can get an aftermarket suspension and set the spring rate, dampening rate, and even ride height. Then, get a great alignment including corner balance. And I'll bet all of that would be less than even trying to install PASM shocks never mind the electronics that would have to go with it (which I don't think is possible anyway). I don't remember all of the options, but I think JIC (Cross) makes a suspension for the 997 and I loved mine on my 964 race car. With JIC you can go all the way from sport street to full race depending on which of the 15 dampening settings you pick and which spring combination.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
a a
a a is infamous around these parts
A 997 without PASM is like a girl without thingies...

I always wonder why some people load their cars with carbon bits, illuminated door sills and the like but dont bother throwing in PASM as well.

Painted air vents combined with a leather rearview mirror and a bit of carbon (anything closer to nonsense doesn't really exist IMO) could pay for PASM and you still will have some spare cash to fill the tank a couple of times

997.1 Carrera (plain vanilla so non-S and non-4 but WITH the PASM.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 AM
berty987 is infamous around these parts
If you are really interested in retro fitting PASM , the first place to look is the parts catalogue. Under the options section find the option code for PASM , then search the rest of the pdf document for all the assocoiated parts for that option code using the code number as the search word. I think you will find that the anti roll bars, springs , shocks are just the tip of the iceberg, then there will be looms , control modules and accelerometers to add and finally a recode of the car using the porsche workshop tool. Unless you can find someone with a genuine PWIS or 100% emulator its unlikely porsche will recode this option for you unless they do the retro fit themselves (safety and liability concerns). Better to sell the car and buy one with PASM if its your main requirement , otherwise buy aftermarket springs and shocks. .

Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by berty987
If you are really interested in retro fitting PASM , the first place to look is the parts catalogue. Under the options section find the option code for PASM , then search the rest of the pdf document for all the assocoiated parts for that option code using the code number as the search word. I think you will find that the anti roll bars, springs , shocks are just the tip of the iceberg, then there will be looms , control modules and accelerometers to add and finally a recode of the car using the porsche workshop tool. Unless you can find someone with a genuine PWIS or 100% emulator its unlikely porsche will recode this option for you unless they do the retro fit themselves (safety and liability concerns). Better to sell the car and buy one with PASM if its your main requirement , otherwise buy aftermarket springs and shocks. .
Don't forget the wiring harnesses. They are expensive.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dksu
Is it possible to retrofit PASM to non PASM equip car? If so how much will it cost. This past weekend, i drove my brother's 09 c2s and the ride felt much better in terms of evening out bumps and whatnot.
Yeah - in normal mode PASM cars do ride softer than a non-PASM car. At least that's my experience. But maybe it's too soft and a little "floaty"?

The non-PASM suspension seems to be a very good compromise for everyday use.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
dksu has a spectacular aura aboutdksu has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the input guys. So which CW do you recommend for my 09 c2? Where can i buy them?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
You should look at KWv3 and Bilstein PSS10 (non-damptronic). Not sure if they are configured for the 09 models yet, but they seem to be the most popular for the non-PASM 997.1. The KWv3are suppose to have the nicest fast response valving (impacts like pot-holes, cracks in the pavement, etc) giving a nice ride. Both have adjustable settings for normal response (cornering/braking). I think the KW's have control for both impact and rebound where the Bilsteins combine them into one setting - but I could be mistaken. Some of the board sponsers sell them and can help you with the details.