997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lowered the Car with H&R springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:54 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks really nice! One of the first things I will do to my car when I go back to Miami!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 AM
carrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the kind words gents. Glad to help.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Good job Mike.

Gents, one thing it is imperative to do when lowering any car is to take before pics JUST like Mike did. Many times here we see spring installs go south for variuos reasons and troubleshooting is very difficult without any "before" information. Had this install gone wrong for some reason it would have been very easy to troubleshoot.

I'm going to forward this writeup to our contact at H&R so they can see it. I also want to run the sagging issue by them as I really don't get any complaints of them doing it over time. At least if yours does you have proof.

Again, well done.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
car looks great i did the same mods plus sway bars and not only does it look good it handles unbelievably,I autocrossed it two weeks ago and i can't believe the times i am putting up.it's been two months and i have notice it lowered alittle more.I love the way it looks.Nice mod good luck

Attached Images    
Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Sev
Sev is infamous around these partsSev is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Good job Mike.

Gents, one thing it is imperative to do when lowering any car is to take before pics JUST like Mike did. Many times here we see spring installs go south for variuos reasons and troubleshooting is very difficult without any "before" information. Had this install gone wrong for some reason it would have been very easy to troubleshoot.

I'm going to forward this writeup to our contact at H&R so they can see it. I also want to run the sagging issue by them as I really don't get any complaints of them doing it over time. At least if yours does you have proof.

Again, well done.
All springs sag over time, over a very long time actually. But they sag very little. As for the H&Rs, I think people are mistaking sagging for settling. The springs will settle after a period of time (i.e. 2 weeks), that isn't sagging, more like going down to where they were intended.

At least, that's the way i see it.
Sev

Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 AM
carrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the roughcarrera mike is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sev
Nice pics. The springs will settle a little more and your gap will be reduced. I've had mine on for about 4 months now. It definately got lower from install day to about 1-2 weeks.

Also, if you are unhappy with firmness, consider adjusting tire pressures. I run 34 front 38 rear on 19 inch lobsters. Rides as good as any sports car ive owned...
Thanks Sev, Im actually using the unloaded tire pressure from the manual of 33psi F & 39 psi R.

Originally Posted by Sev
The springs will settle after a period of time (i.e. 2 weeks), that isn't sagging, ...
+1/agree with the terminology

Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
I've had mine now for over a year and no sagging issues. I also agree that they will settle but that is to be expected. I don't agree with all the negatives that have been said about the H&R's as so far I've been very happy with them. Car still handles like its on rails and with the 20" wheels the feedback from the road is unbelievable.
How much do the sway bars run you guys?

Last edited by stardoc; 06-12-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have a 09 Carrera S with the lower Sport PASM suspension. Just for comparision I measured mine today.

Front 26 2/16
Rear 26 12/16

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I would be surprised if there is "sagging", that would suggest the springs are actually weakening versus some setteling as the springs twist to the lowest point in the seats. Also, many questions about the cost of the springs. Springs are cheap, installs are expensive. Also, be sure to include a 4 wheel alignment. If your car drops noticably afterwards, then the alignment will be off. Happened to me and the additional negative camber killed a set of rear tires from the inside.
Can anyone post the labor time/cost they paid for the job?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
I would be surprised if there is "sagging", that would suggest the springs are actually weakening versus some setteling as the springs twist to the lowest point in the seats. Also, many questions about the cost of the springs. Springs are cheap, installs are expensive. Also, be sure to include a 4 wheel alignment. If your car drops noticably afterwards, then the alignment will be off. Happened to me and the additional negative camber killed a set of rear tires from the inside.
Can anyone post the labor time/cost they paid for the job?
Actually it is not so much that negitive camber makes tiers wear faster it is the amount of toe you have. Toe is very critical to tire wear.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
locus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond repute
anyone knows where to get DIY for lowering springs?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Smile

UPDATE / 14SEP

after 3 + months, 2000+ miles of driving
re-measured the height/gaps with full tank of gas (same weight on it as the last 4 pix in the intitial post:

REAR 26.56" or 26 9/16"

FRONT 25.81" or 25 13/16"

difference of:

.06" in the front &

.49" for the rear

Last edited by carrera mike; 09-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Cargraphic springs 25.5

Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carrera mike
REAR

FRONT

Originally Posted by carrera mike
UPDATE / 14SEP

after 3 + months, 2000+ miles of driving
re-measured the height/gaps with full tank of gas (same weight on it as the last 4 pix in the intitial post:

REAR 26.56" or 26 9/16"

FRONT 25.81" or 25 13/16"

difference of:

.06" in the front &

.49" for the rear
Great of you to document your lowering. I was just comparing your first thread to your update. Looks like the front is actually only .19" lower and the rear is only .04" lower. Such a difference is almost statistically negligible given the ability to measure accurately. The Caragraphic spring shots are great too.

If I could make one future recommendation. Please list the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender lip. This will take out the variability of sidewall height. If you compare 2 tires of different brand, even the "same" size, the sidewall heights will vary. Tire pressures may be different. Tread wear will be different. Measuring from the center of the wheel to the fender lip will eliminate those differences. The differences you measured could well be simply tire differences versus any difference in the springs.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
It's my experience that they all sag some after initial installation. I had to re-adjust/balance my Damptronics 4 weeks or so after initial install and setup. They've not settled (noticeably) since.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowered the Car with H&R springs