997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you much to all of you.

As for my emotional state-
I haven't been driving it because of surgery, and since have had a baby boy, well, my wife has. I don't see myself going out and thrashing around on the track too much anymore either, because we started a new company and it's getting whatever attention I have left after my family. On top of that, we're moving. It's not a money thing though. And as Spyder put so well, I'm just putting a feeler out. But it's not a money thing. It's almost like a guilt thing... finding a better home for my "child". It's just silly out on the street now, driving around... after knowing what that car can do. Yeah, it's worse that when I drive it now I shift with my left hand. Maybe I'm just being emotional.

As for my shoulder-
It wasn't the rotator cuff, no. They told me "full reconstructive", but what I know is that the three ligaments that hold your collar bone down (and to your shoulder blade, I think) were all torn. One 100%, one 80%, and one less than 50%. They told me that they took out quite a many ounces of scar tissue (I waited 11 months to have the surgery... was on week 2 a 7 month trip to Switzerland (snowboarding) and Thailand and so I just taped my arm up and kept shredding. Anyway, they somehow moved or removed my pec and lat muscles to wrap kevlar tape around the whole joint a few times, then stitch it together so it wouldn't move, then put a 3" bolt through it to hold it down. Muscles were put back in place. One of the ligaments had essentially died, so they threw it out. The other two got repaired and strengthened to pull heavy duty. One was supposedly attached in a place where God didn't put one.

That's what I understand about the surgeries. They've also had to put me under to manipulate the arm because of freezing. It totally sucks.

You guys rock though.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
Jared,

Hang in therer brother. I have had two back to back rotator cuff surgerys on my left shoulder 22 years ago and it took almost 3 years of rehab to where I could use it and it was was good as before my accident. Now it is better than before. Because of the long rehab and painful rehab, I have chosen not to have the same surgery done on my right shoulder, but I have been able to condition it to where it is functional and doesnt hurt. Although, I can lift heavy weights with my shoulders I will never be able to throw a ball again... Good luck, It does get better, but the worst is trying to throw coins into a toll basket

Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blakt out
Thank you much to all of you.

As for my emotional state-
I haven't been driving it because of surgery, and since have had a baby boy, well, my wife has. I don't see myself going out and thrashing around on the track too much anymore either, because we started a new company and it's getting whatever attention I have left after my family. On top of that, we're moving. It's not a money thing though. And as Spyder put so well, I'm just putting a feeler out. But it's not a money thing. It's almost like a guilt thing... finding a better home for my "child". It's just silly out on the street now, driving around... after knowing what that car can do. Yeah, it's worse that when I drive it now I shift with my left hand. Maybe I'm just being emotional.

As for my shoulder-
It wasn't the rotator cuff, no. They told me "full reconstructive", but what I know is that the three ligaments that hold your collar bone down (and to your shoulder blade, I think) were all torn. One 100%, one 80%, and one less than 50%. They told me that they took out quite a many ounces of scar tissue (I waited 11 months to have the surgery... was on week 2 a 7 month trip to Switzerland (snowboarding) and Thailand and so I just taped my arm up and kept shredding. Anyway, they somehow moved or removed my pec and lat muscles to wrap kevlar tape around the whole joint a few times, then stitch it together so it wouldn't move, then put a 3" bolt through it to hold it down. Muscles were put back in place. One of the ligaments had essentially died, so they threw it out. The other two got repaired and strengthened to pull heavy duty. One was supposedly attached in a place where God didn't put one.

That's what I understand about the surgeries. They've also had to put me under to manipulate the arm because of freezing. It totally sucks.

You guys rock though.
Jared, I was in pain jut reading the procedure...

I understand exactly what you mean though. What does your wife feel you should do with the car? I have 2 boys (7&4) now and I have to say they love Daddy's "Porschee", but they also told me if I sell it to get a Shelby GT500...they love those as well.

Dave

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
She only says that I shouldn't have a car like that that I can't drive like I want to. There's two sides to this "can" thing: 1) CAN I drive it well on the street, and 2) CAN I drive it well on the track. If I can't drive this car WELL on the track, then I need to get PDK (Lord be with me, I don't want to).

Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by hjacobs2000
Jared,

Hang in therer brother. I have had two back to back rotator cuff surgerys on my left shoulder 22 years ago and it took almost 3 years of rehab to where I could use it and it was was good as before my accident. Now it is better than before. Because of the long rehab and painful rehab, I have chosen not to have the same surgery done on my right shoulder, but I have been able to condition it to where it is functional and doesnt hurt. Although, I can lift heavy weights with my shoulders I will never be able to throw a ball again... Good luck, It does get better, but the worst is trying to throw coins into a toll basket
Wow, man. That's serious. 3 years? Glad it's better than before, but I have slept on the couch sitting up for 6 months and don't know how much more of this stuff I can take!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blakt out
Hey everyone.

To those of you who have been on here a long time, I've not been on here very much lately. I miss you guys! I've stayed away because it's rough on me... given the situation below.

As all you buddies of mine know, I was at VIR last November and blew the engine. I replaced it with a brand new one, and that took a while. Then, I had reconstructive shoulder surgery in January (right/shifting shoulder). That didn't go perfectly, so I've gone back again. I drove my 911 for the second time (not counting 5 mile jaunts) yesterday. My shoulder's hurting a good bit still as I sit here typing. Literally, the car has less than 100 miles on the new engine. I'm not sure I'll ever recover to the point that I can fully enjoy that car anymore. Really a bummer. REALLY. So, I'm just sitting here reading all of your threads, and thinking that I might should just sell the car.
I haven't looked at how things are going right now in the marketplace, but I know I'll take a bath. I have receipts in the 6 figure range, PLUS the sticker.

Again, shoulder surgery was January 6. I'm still on pain meds. What do you guys think?

If you don't know me, or have forgotten me, my car is the black car in the middle here.

It won the shootout, and got some pretty heavy praise. I love that car. When I knew I was going to drive it finally, I got out of bed before 5am and just DROVE. Had a meeting at 9am. Didn't even stop for breakfast. Just took the longest, curviest way I could find.

Anyway, can some of you either give me guidance or help me get my head out of my ***?

Jared
Hey Jared, seriously that's a rough situation and I really hope you get better. Nobody deserves to enjoy that car more than you... And what a car. Hopefully you can recover over time and just enjoy it again?