997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.

Hey everyone.

To those of you who have been on here a long time, I've not been on here very much lately. I miss you guys! I've stayed away because it's rough on me... given the situation below.

As all you buddies of mine know, I was at VIR last November and blew the engine. I replaced it with a brand new one, and that took a while. Then, I had reconstructive shoulder surgery in January (right/shifting shoulder). That didn't go perfectly, so I've gone back again. I drove my 911 for the second time (not counting 5 mile jaunts) yesterday. My shoulder's hurting a good bit still as I sit here typing. Literally, the car has less than 100 miles on the new engine. I'm not sure I'll ever recover to the point that I can fully enjoy that car anymore. Really a bummer. REALLY. So, I'm just sitting here reading all of your threads, and thinking that I might should just sell the car.
I haven't looked at how things are going right now in the marketplace, but I know I'll take a bath. I have receipts in the 6 figure range, PLUS the sticker.

Again, shoulder surgery was January 6. I'm still on pain meds. What do you guys think?

If you don't know me, or have forgotten me, my car is the black car in the middle here.

It won the shootout, and got some pretty heavy praise. I love that car. When I knew I was going to drive it finally, I got out of bed before 5am and just DROVE. Had a meeting at 9am. Didn't even stop for breakfast. Just took the longest, curviest way I could find.

Anyway, can some of you either give me guidance or help me get my head out of my ***?

Jared

Last edited by blakt out; 06-13-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Jared, you are the only one that can tell how much pain you are in and whether you can drive the car or not...what kind of physical therapy have you had...perhaps you need to find someone more familiar with athletes that can bring you back to the point that you can tolerate driving...we will all hope that your second surgery and recovery works out better than your first...God speed bro

Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Over the course of my life, I've had knee, shoulder twice, thumb, and hip surgery, broken over 12 bones, collapsed my lungs 4 times in a row landing me in the hospital for a consecutive and solid 2 months, even been in detox a few times for pain killer addiction. I went from full scholarship D1 skier to not being able to walk up stairs without issues. The scary part - I'm not even 21 yet. Long story short is that being injured sucks.

As grim as it looks at times tho, it does get better. It's hard to think of things that way when you're bumming around feeling like crap, but things always have a way of working out. To be honest, nothing helped me recover more then knowing I had something to look forward to. The very possibility of being able to get back on skies made me get my *** up in the morning, go to rehab, training, all that. If I had given up hope of getting back to what I love , I have no doubt my recovery would have not gone nearly as well as it did. You need a goal to work toward, and I think that the prospect of being able to enjoy something that you obviously love quite a bit may just be the medicine you need.

I say keep the car. Think of it, not as something that you have lost the ability to enjoy, but as something that with work and dedication, you'll be able to enjoy once again. Just try to keep in mind how great it'll be to get back behind the wheel like you used to once you get back to your full potential. They say the mind has amazing powers to control the physical, and I believe that to the fullest. Best of luck with your recovery.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:25 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Sell the car, heal yourself...

Buy a PDK

Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Give it time . Shoulder injury takes time. It's one of the most common issues with swimmers and I have faced it yet never had the surgery . Those who I know who have did heal over time . Some even retured to the sport. Shifting and driving correlate very strongly with the right shoulder and the pain would only aggrave the healing . Listen to yoir body . The car will be there and when you finally can drive it in comfort you'll appreciate it that much more.

Hang in there.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Jared, unless you are in dire need of the money I would say see what transpires. The shoulder is the most complicated joint in the human body, it can take quite sometime to recover.

Imagine selling it, then 6 mos. from now you are able to drive and have to go down this road all over again.

Dave

Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Give it more time. Camhabib said it best. Keep your car and use it as a motivation to recovery. You'll be amazed at what the mind and body can do over time.

I had a right shoulder injury as well. Took me 6 months before I could exercise again, but recovered I did, and so can you.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
Dude, beautiful car and sorry about your shoulder. I think I put all of 20 miles a week on my car if that, as I don't drive it to work. But everytime I come home and open that garage door, a feeling of calm comes over me just to see it sitting there for me. Keep the car, bodies will heal but letting your love and joy go will leave a bigger hole in your heart.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Jared, almost two years ago I was rear ended in my first 997S, the car was in the body shop for about 5 months. Immediatly after the accident I was depressed, and missing my Porsche. My wife noticed how much I changed, and it was apparent to me until she pointed it out. I bought another 997S (my current car) about two months after the accident. The moment I got the new car home, my attitude improved.

You have a business, a family, and a ton of responsibility and you will need an outlet...something for yourself. If you sell your car, you need something else (and JD doesn't count). As it has been said, you are the only one that will know if it is time to sell, but do find a new outlet.

I know if I were in the same position as you, it would be a tough call.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Jared,
Loved that article and loved reading about your car! It was one of the motivating factors for me to get my new car. Recovering from reconstructive surgery takes a long time, having a second procedure adds to the recovery. Give yourself time for your body to heal, keep your car and look forward to the day when you can 'really' drive it again!
Keep posting here!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 AM
nucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura aboutnucjd has a spectacular aura about
First take a breath. Second, take a step back.

Now, Shoulders are curious joints. Extremely mobile and there is only muscle, tendons, ligaments and a labrum to keep it where it should be. I have rarely seen patients come out of shoulder surgery and not have a have some degree of recovery, particularly with a second shoulder. JenK is right, father time is gonna be needed here and you will get better. It is all good. Lean on your friends, family and your buddies here and before you know it you will be rowing through those gears and this wil be a distant memory. BTW, if you don't mind what type os surgery did you have (i.e. rotator, cuff, labral repair)?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
J-Rad,
Keep the car. The money you've spent on mods will be nearly worthless at resale, and the car has already faced a huge depreciation due to market conditions. The money you'd get from selling wouldn't add up to much.

Plus, your shoulder will heal, and the car will be there waiting for you; it'll be as much fun to drive then as it was before your shoulder surgery. Do your rehab and get back in it, slowly.

If it's not a money thing, only sell knowing you're getting into something different, or better. Selling now will only provide regrets down the road.
CATTMAN

Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If you really love that car....and ya should...keep it. Get some rehab help possible some other opinions on your shoulder.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
If you love the car and see a possibility of being able to drive it again in the future, you should hold on to it. Nothing lasts forever, and situations change all the time. With that being said, it doesn't hurt for you to put out a feeler and see what kind of interest you'd get on it.

The great thing about testing the waters is that you'll be put in the situation to decide to keep or sell, once an offer is made. You can then make a better decision to your next steps and see if selling (or keeping) the car is what's best for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Hey Jared,

I was just thinking about giving you a call and I see this.....

Hey buddy.....do what makes things 'right' for you!

I hate to say this BUT....it is only a car and there are many more out there if you decide to get another one!
From all of the things you have done to your car(since you have owned it),it may be time to take a break.Sometimes owning and modding takes it toll on a person!

I get this way alot of times too......as you know I listed mine a while ago and have since been spending money/time on it...but always have it in my head that I need to kick my addiction to cars and sell it,LOL!
I always think I can live without a toy......

Again Jared just do what is your and your family's best interest!
Stay in touch Bro'...!

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.