997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pre-emptive battery change at 4 1/2 yrs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Pre-emptive battery change at 4 1/2 yrs

Hello all. I just got done doing a pre-emptive battery replacement on my 05 Carrera. Actually it was the original battery with no problems (yet) but here in Florida with the 92 degree heat and 4 1/2 years on the battery, I thought it was time. I put in a Duralast 48-DL from Autozone per Loren (consumer reports #1 rated along with Optima) and the price point was great. Didn't lose any settings other than a PSM reset (turn wheel left then right then drive a block or two) and window reset (per manual).

Didn't even lose the radio settings !!!

Just wanted to share. A simple DIY...almost as easy a a car wash!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Did you look into a lithium-ion battery at all? I've heard a little bit about them around here and they seem like a great way to save some weight and possibly increase lifespan / capacity.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by camhabib
Did you look into a lithium-ion battery at all? I've heard a little bit about them around here and they seem like a great way to save some weight and possibly increase lifespan / capacity.
Li-On batteries for starter motors? Those batteries are expensive and have a limited number of charging cycles (400). Optima batteries is another question.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Li-On batteries for starter motors? Those batteries are expensive and have a limited number of charging cycles (400). Optima batteries is another question.
I only asked because I saw this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-systems.html and thought the concept looked interesting. Are we talking about different things or is that product in that thread not as good as a standard car battery?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
I never even checked it out. I figured the heat would impact life along with charge cycle life/cost would negate any short term benefit such as weight. I looked in Optima but figured it would be better if I just changed out the battery every couple of years and feel safe that the car will always start.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Kurt RSF is infamous around these parts
new battery

I just put a new battery in my '05 S Cab, as well, which just turned 4. I'm moving the car to my house in Wyoming this summer.

I replaced the battery in my '00 Cab at the same age (4 years), and just replaced it again this April (9 years). This car is at my Florida house.

Batteries are cheap. I'd rather replace it before it dies unexpectedly on me.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
My 2 cents as a soon to be P car owner. Pre emptive changes are a waste of money. When the car starts cranking slowly you know it needs to be replaced. It is easy to get perhaps 7 years out of a factory BMW battery anyway. The replacement you buy isn't going to be nearly as good as the "new" battery you replace it with. I talked to someone today who thought his car would perform better after he replaced the battery! That's funny. I'm a bit surprised to talk about light weight batteries for a Porsche. The battery is in the front. I wouldn't want to reduce any weight in the front. You are making the already rear biased weight distribution even worse.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
My 2 cents as a soon to be P car owner. Pre emptive changes are a waste of money. When the car starts cranking slowly you know it needs to be replaced. It is easy to get perhaps 7 years out of a factory BMW battery anyway. The replacement you buy isn't going to be nearly as good as the "new" battery you replace it with. I talked to someone today who thought his car would perform better after he replaced the battery! That's funny. I'm a bit surprised to talk about light weight batteries for a Porsche. The battery is in the front. I wouldn't want to reduce any weight in the front. You are making the already rear biased weight distribution even worse.
"The replacement you buy isn't going to be nearly as good as the "new" battery you replace it with." - don't understand this statement.

Less weight is good even if it's in the front.

Search "battery" and you'll find a lot of reports of P-car batteries only lasting 3 years or less.

Replacing battery especially if left disconnected for a while may reset ECU which might improve performance.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The best thing to add with your new battery isthe Porsche Trickle Charger. Keeps the battery topped up. I use it over night once a week in the spring summer and fall, in the winter I leave it for long periods even though my garage is heated.

It can be used on other vehicles as well.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM
..still, 4 1/2 years on an original battery in Florida heat is plenty used up. I can tell you from experience that batteries don't always die with warning unless you are continually checking the load. One day they're great and next day, DOA. Those here in Florida or Arizona will tell you heat is the number one enemy and when they go, it's in the summer (or winter for those up North). No offense to ryem3, but I NEVER had a battery last 7 years

As far as trickle charger, car doesn't sit more than a day or two without spirited drives so no need but recommend one for the more occasional driver. $90.00 was well worth piece of mind.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slant83
As far as trickle charger, car doesn't sit more than a day or two without spirited drives so no need but recommend one for the more occasional driver. $90.00 was well worth piece of mind.
You would be surprised how much the trickle charger will add to the battery. I can do two days at the track with all the accesories off and it will still be adding a charge for 6+ hours.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 PM
To all FWIW, I feel more comfortable replacing the battery every 4 years. Never need a tender, never worry about the DOA with a key click-click-click or no lighting and realize I'm stranded. It was just time. Also, when (or if) it goes on someone else, a friendly trip to the dealer for your $150 computer reset on top of the cost of the battery. Consider the piece of mind as a bonus It's just me and wanted to share. I'm sleeping better already