997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Will Next gen 911 will have Panamera comfort features?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
If I was ordering a new one, I would not order it with this option, as mirrors are standard.
Lovin' that!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
My earlier comment notwithstanding, some of these statements seem like a response to yelling fire in the dealer. Porsche's roots in racing and sports cars likely ensure that there will be a place for a hard-core driving machine in their lineup. But as we're seeing across the auto industry, among others, is that size matters. It is inconceivable that Porsche can remain solvent selling modest amounts of niche vehicles at the current price point. It's why they built the Cayenne and the Panamera, it's why they've softened some of their sporty cars and it's why some of their models are likely to be more GT than pure sports cars. I don't much like it, but it's better than paying Ferrari prices (which has also succumbed to some softening) or seeing them disappear altogether.
Porsche is fighting the automotive equivalent of the biological 'law of the excluded middle'. A world in which there are no mid-scale auto companies. Simply huge mass-market companies that have little interest in enthusiasts or niche high end and transient companies whose price point outstrip their utility. It may be a reason to 'buy now', or simply plan on saving for a GT3 (or GT2) in the future. Perhaps the only remaining non-GT/SUV/sedan of the future breed.

Last edited by Verde; 06-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CMOS
Lovin' that!
What, the comment or the free mirrors?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Auto headlights aren't some fancy luxury boy feature that add tons of weight to a sports car, they're a common-sense feature that adds no weight to a sporty car.

Air suspension I will agree is ridiculous just because they are expensive, expensive to replace, and prone to failure more than regular suspensions (every one I've seen, at least).

Doesn't Porsche have keyless go as an option on the Cayennes already? Is it only the Cayennes? I guess they figure the technology is still *relatively* new so they can milk it a few more years

So, hopefully, some "comforts" you'll see at the intro of the 997 successor, since it looks like the 997.2 is out of the bag already. Hopefully others you'll never see

Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
It seems to me that a lot of "enthusiasts" resist change for the sake of resisting change. As justinmm2 pointed out, yes, automatic headlights are strictly a convenience, but they add no weight and if anything, allow you to focus more on driving and less on playing with little switches. Similar thing can be said about cushy seats, yes, they add weight and cannot be directly moved into a space shuttle for take off, but they are much more comfortable then sport seats, and could easily allow someone to sit and drive for an extended period of time.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
It is a tough line - I was an e39 M5 owner and what the e60 did to the M5 is a crying shame. I hope there is never the equivalent reduction of the 911 to an e60 M5.

That said, I'd take the e60 Logic 7 sound system in a heart beat over the rather odd sounding Bose.

Last edited by stevepow; 06-17-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM
ARod is infamous around these parts
Hello guys!!!!
2 Things I would like to take out of the 997 and 1 other thing I would like to add…
1) I would like to see the exterior side mirrors removed and replaced with 4” screen incorporated into the door panel at the opposite side of the existing mirror is now. Or they could be conveniently located at the ends of the dash board.
2) I would love to remove the door handlers. I would like to see a flush and smooth exterior surface on the door.
3) And I would love to have the option of a moon roof without buying a targa.
For those who weight is important I’m not sure if the weight of the mirror in the inside of the car could be balanced out with the gain in aerodynamics of the car… you be the judge.
I’m all ears!!!!
Arod