997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche extended warranties?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Porsche extended warranties?

Is it possible to buy a Porsche extended warranty if you are not the original (first) owner of the car? I thought I read that this was possible and there was even a schedule of cost depending upon time and mileage of coverage.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Sorry. Looks like still waiting for a response there. Also, was wondering about factory warranty extensions before considering other vendors.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the warranty extensions offered by Porsche dealers are not factory but third party...at least for my dealer that was the case

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-17-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
simgr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Is it possible to buy a Porsche extended warranty if you are not the original (first) owner of the car? I thought I read that this was possible and there was even a schedule of cost depending upon time and mileage of coverage.
The Porsche extended warranty (aka Certified Pre-Owned warranty or CPO) can be bought by anyone.

The terms change depending on whether you buy it before the original warranty expires or not -- if you get it before the original warranty expires then you get another 50k miles (up to 100k) or 2 more years whichever comes first. If you wait until after the original warranty expires then its more limited; sorry dont recall the limitations since I bought mine _before_ the original expired (by about 10 miles and 3 days!)

Seems like a good deal to me - ~$1600 for another 50K miles...

/simgr

Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
That's good feedback and what I wanted to hear. How long ago did you buy that? I would definitely try to get continuous coverage and the CPO is the best. Is it really a no deductible CPO warranty?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure if the above information is completely correct. I don't believe you can get a Porsche CPO'd if you are not the original purchaser of the vehicle. I am not 100% positive, but I think this is the case.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Hence my query. Can a second owner get a warranty extension prior to new car warranty expiration?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in, but I think the answer is no for a CPO. You can purchase an extended warranty but it would not be considered CPO by Porsche.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
That's my impression. Still goes back to the original question of whether Porsche extends warranties on cars currently under mfg. warranty?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I am not sure if the above information is completely correct. I don't believe you can get a Porsche CPO'd if you are not the original purchaser of the vehicle. I am not 100% positive, but I think this is the case.
Ah.. I guess I just assumed this would be possible -- I fail to see how they could justify not making this available if you aren't the original owner -- the original warranty carries over to you (and I know for a fact that the CPO warranty is transferrable)...

But I have to admit that I was the original owner of mine (BTW - the $1600 was for a Boxster; should have mentioned that! Not sure what the price is for a 911 yet -- still got 49868 miles to go on my original 911 warranty ;-)

/simgr

Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
That's my impression. Still goes back to the original question of whether Porsche extends warranties on cars currently under mfg. warranty?
I am sure you can get a warranty by walking into Porsche and paying for one if the car is still under factory warranty, but it won't be considered a CPO warranty. Like stated before, I believe CPO warranties are only extended to original owners.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
SilverSled is infamous around these parts
Porsche Only Offers CPO Warranty

I just bought a 2007 997 that was left over but the dealer "punched" in January of 2008 to start the warranty running. The long and the short of it is that PCNA's only extended warranty program is through CPO. If you own the car, regardless of first owner or not as long as the car is under the factory warranty you can get a CPO extended warranty but the dealer has to buy the car from you and you have to buy it back. The cost of the warranty is around $2,100 and the CPO process is another $350. Otherwise you have to go with an aftermarket warranty.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM
More interesting news. Guess I'll also need to contact my local dealer, or perhaps dealers so that I talk to one with the best answer! I think a dealer will not be so willing to do this buy/sell deal. If it is a real buy/sell, this could be a tax event, which could cost thousands. I've heard of it before - anyone ever done it?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by SilverSled
I just bought a 2007 997 that was left over but the dealer "punched" in January of 2008 to start the warranty running. The long and the short of it is that PCNA's only extended warranty program is through CPO. If you own the car, regardless of first owner or not as long as the car is under the factory warranty you can get a CPO extended warranty but the dealer has to buy the car from you and you have to buy it back. The cost of the warranty is around $2,100 and the CPO process is another $350. Otherwise you have to go with an aftermarket warranty.
Interesting... so, in my case, I bought my Boxster at the end of a lease; the CPO was a single payment of ~$1600 plus I had to pay for the inspection to validate it's worthiness (bit of a cheek really given that the car had been serviced at the same place but there you go).

I'm expecting to be able to get the extended warranty for my 911 when it gets close to the 50K limit but maybe I'm fooling myself... of course, by then I might have to get the warranty from Tata anyway ;-(

BTW: I did find some documentation online at the Porsche site that seems to imply any car can get the extended warranty so long as it passes the inspection; for example, http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default includes the statement "you can take out the follow-up warranty at any time while the vehicle is still under the original warranty"

/simgr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche extended warranties?