997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Adjusting Sport Bucket Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Adjusting Sport Bucket Seats

I searched but couldn't find the answer, so I'm hoping someone here knows. Does anyone have an idea on how (or if it's even possible) to raise the sport bucket seat (the carbon one, option P03)? I was told by a few dealers that the customer can only slide the seat forwards and backwards, but that the dealership could adjust the height of the seat (something about a pivot point in the front with and adjustment in back). By default, they are a little too low for me, and wanted to find out just how difficult it is to adjust before I finalized my order. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I looked into these seriously before ordering my 09 C2S. No adjustment whatsoever and I even complained to the dealer about it. Every other racing shell I've seen has a pivot point where you can adjust the rake of the seat as a whole. I went so far as to ask "how about if we put a spacer / washers at the front bolt point to tilt the whole works a bit and got a big "no". Now maybe one could modify after the fact, but I don't like the idea of messing with something that wasn't intended to be messed with. In the end, I went with the manual sport seats (again).

Old 06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
camhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond reputecamhabib has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RonCT
I looked into these seriously before ordering my 09 C2S. No adjustment whatsoever and I even complained to the dealer about it. Every other racing shell I've seen has a pivot point where you can adjust the rake of the seat as a whole. I went so far as to ask "how about if we put a spacer / washers at the front bolt point to tilt the whole works a bit and got a big "no". Now maybe one could modify after the fact, but I don't like the idea of messing with something that wasn't intended to be messed with. In the end, I went with the manual sport seats (again).
I don't understand how a huge car company could make a "one size fits all" seat? I'm somewhat tall guy (5'10") and I still need a few inches on the seat. What do they expect shorter people to do?

Can anyone else verify that the seats cannot be adjusted?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, your best bet is to ask the dealer you are ordering from and not rely on what we might suggest. Or, you might try talking with somebody like Suncoast that sells lots of these.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
The problem is I did ask a dealership - in fact a few of them. A couple said you could, and a couple said you couldn't. To be honest, I find the word of a dealership about as trustworthy as that from a convicted scam artist. They will tell you just about anything to get you to buy.

I just sent an email off to Suncoast, hopefully they're a little more knowledgeable. In the mean time, if anyone has a set of these seats and has been able to adjust them first hand, I'd appreciate hearing how.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I don't think it can be moved but I have seen a few technian wizards customize cars in ways that i never imagined . I can think of at least one pro basketball player who fit in a 993 cab so it can be done.

At 5'10" you are in the zone but you may know some passengers who may not fit plus comfort is sacirifed but the seats are amazing .

I also thought about getting them in my current car . I changed my mind .

Jest remember this --It's important --
You can only order them in black if you buy them later on . If you want them in another color it has to be on that car from the factory .

Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
yrralis, they're already ordered on the car, adjustable or not. I know of one way to raise them up, which is to just buy a new set of rails, but that takes more time and effort then I was hopping to spend. I could live with them as is, since they are only an inch or so bellow where I'd like them to be, but I just find it hard to believe Porsche in all their engineering wisdom wouldn't make these seats adjustable.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by camhabib
yrralis, they're already ordered on the car, adjustable or not. I know of one way to raise them up, which is to just buy a new set of rails, but that takes more time and effort then I was hopping to spend. I could live with them as is, since they are only an inch or so bellow where I'd like them to be, but I just find it hard to believe Porsche in all their engineering wisdom wouldn't make these seats adjustable.
Have you passed the deadline to change the order ?
Also Porche seating to me always feels a bit lower than some other cars . I'm 5'9" (near same height as you) which means that to feel that I am not pressing down on the clutch awkwardly stressing my bad left knee the steering wheel poition appears higher than both my BMW and Honda .
Having had several Porsches I feel more out of place in the OTHER cars.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
No, I definitely still have time to change the options, but having sat in all the seats that Porsche offers, there is no way I'd go for any but these. They are just that good IMO. I'm sure I'll figure out some way to get these seats into the correct position. Like I said, worst comes to worst, I buy a new set of rails for a couple hundred and bolt them on. I could probably even have them custom machined at someplace close by if I can't find anything suitable pre-made.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:50 AM
vexed is infamous around these parts
My parents live in the Boston area, my Mother is vertically challenged and when she got her new Caddy SRX they had a shop raise the seat for her, by raising the rails I believe. I don't have the name but could get it if that would help, I know they do conversions for persons with disabilities.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
On a related note, does the sport bucket seat fold forward (to let ppl/things in/out of the back seats)?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 AM
pogoteurfou is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CMOS
does the sport bucket seat fold forward (to let ppl/things in/out of the back seats)?
Yes , it does !
For the height of the seat , i have adaptative sport seats and i think it's what u need : fully adjustable as a "standard" electrical seat
Edit : i realized i misunderstood , the topic was about sport bucket seat and not "standard" sport seats
Sorry for the mistake but i speak better french than english
See ya all and have fun
@+
Nico

Last edited by pogoteurfou; 06-19-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I wanted the Sport Buckets for my 09 but at a athletic 6'5" tall I did not fit when I tried them out in a GT2.

The Sport Bucket would not go back far enought putting my knees into the dash and it sits up rather high and my head was cramed into the roof.

Manual Sport seats go much lower and further back. To me Porsche really messed up with the mounting design on the Sport Bucket seats.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by vexed
My parents live in the Boston area, my Mother is vertically challenged and when she got her new Caddy SRX they had a shop raise the seat for her, by raising the rails I believe. I don't have the name but could get it if that would help, I know they do conversions for persons with disabilities.
[QUOTE=mdrums I wanted the Sport Buckets for my 09 but at a athletic 6'5" tall I did not fit when I tried them out in a GT2./QUOTE]

Camhabib -

This is the problem you will face even if you customize yoir own seat . Passengers may not fit . Part of the car's enjoyment for me is being able to take others for a comfortable ride.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
yrralis, I know what you mean. In the end tho, it's my car, and I'm buying it for me and no one else. I've had cars with seats similar to the sport adaptive and they just didn't hold me in well enough. I really believe that the seats make the car - and these seats are about as sporty as they get. I also plan to add the removable bar in the back to attach a race harness to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Sport Bucket Seats