997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do I need to warm up the engine in the morning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 AM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
Do I need to warm up the engine in the morning?

I've always waited at least 30 seconds or wait until the RPM drop below 1000 RPM before I drive off in all my cars(Mercedes). Do I still do this with Porsche? The manual stated no excessive idling. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

John

Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
FWIW I let mine idle high and wait to drive off until it drops down....about 30-45 secs. Don't know if it's needed but that's what I do. I figure it gives the CATS a chance to heat up etc.....

Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Not neccesary, I start it and start driving (slowly) for the first few minutes.

Other then that drive it like you stole it!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I wait till the idle drops down, then take off. However, I keep it below 3k until the water and oil heat up before I let her have it.

J

Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Gearhead888 is infamous around these parts
Just about every vehicle ive owned, ill sit in the garage for about 30-45sec...then take off slowly till the cars warm. My supra ill sit in the garage for a minute or two, let the exhaust get a little heat going before I drive it & again take off slowly, ill shift at about 2500-3000rpm till it gets nice & toasty.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 AM
REFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really nice
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Not neccesary, I start it and start driving (slowly) for the first few minutes.

Other then that drive it like you stole it!
Same here, start her up, back her out and you're off!
By the time you make it thru your residential area, it's more than enough of a warm up.
I just really can't see engines being made in the 21st century that require so much babying. Maybe if it's for aviation but not on the road.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 AM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
I believe the reason the manual states no excessive idling is to discourage the consumer from burning unnecessary gas. It's Porsche's contribution to the energy conservation.

As for me, I agree with everyone else. I'll wait about 30-45 seconds to allow the idle to come down. If it's really cold outside it will take longer and I usually just drive off slow. Before I open her up, I wait for the oil temp to come up. It just gives me that extra security that the engine is well protected and lubricated. Although in theory this is not necessary if you're using 0-50 wt oil since the ambient temp should not make the oil more viscous. Another reason is that the internals slightly expand as it warms up, and I don't want to be stressing the engine during this "small" change.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by REFLUX
Same here, start her up, back her out and you're off!
By the time you make it thru your residential area, it's more than enough of a warm up.
I just really can't see engines being made in the 21st century that require so much babying. Maybe if it's for aviation but not on the road.
Must be a Canadian thing!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:33 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, those older engines that were made out of metal and used oil for lubrication...must have been a pain in the @ss.

J

Old 06-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Exactly...I wait for the motors rpm to drop to proper idle. If I am in a hurry I let the car coast a bit at the higher idle which propels you.

Dave

Old 06-20-2009, 05:01 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i drive under 4k till it warms up a lil and then i beat the living crap out of it... 2000 miles of abuse and havent lost a drop of oil... :-D

Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
supergoji is infamous around these parts
i start it up, and keep it 3k and under till it heats up. with a turbo car if everything isnt expanded properly you'll get blowby. which is bad.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I start it , give it a few seconds and slowly warm it up . The Porsche warms up fairly quickly though . My Honda Si is a bit faster to get warm and the M3 takes longer than both .

No hard driving until the car is totally warmed up .

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 PM
yemenmocha is infamous around these parts
30 secs won't hurt it as far as idling. The more important procedure is to drive gently until everything is warmed up. I let the oil temp reach 200 before spirited driving. It's not that hard to achieve, since it's so damn hot here in Arizona.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
my car takes 2 min until the RPM drops down to idle ?????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need to warm up the engine in the morning?