997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

First time Porsche selection/config, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
L Ray S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by camhabib
Not 100% sure, but special leather is anything, color or quality wise, that it outside of the normal. "Special leather" includes the naturals if I'm not mistaken. The natural is a higher quality then the remainder of the special leathers however. As it was described to me, the dying process is different, as the regular leathers have the color "painted" on in a way, while the natural leathers are dyed through and through. Hope that helps.
Here's a good discussion on the forum about some of the pros and cons of natural leather: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2154450

Hope it helps.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The natural leathers are great quality and real nice. The brown on the aqua is the first tan interior I have liked and the natural gray almost looks black yet has a beautiful tine to it . I would pick them hands down over the regular colors .

Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I don't know where you live, but here in ATL with the heat hitting near 100 for the past couple of days, I have to say the ventilated seats are among my favorite options. They almost double the effectiveness of the AC.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Majestyk
After stalking these forums for over a good year now, I decided now would be a good time to make a post. I am on the verge of walking into a dealer and placing an order for something. I have a relatively good idea of what I want (Porsche Configurator = awesome) but I just wanted to see what some more knowledgeable people think would be most appropriate for my situation. My price range is around 100-110k, but further convincing could stretch it a bit more. I'm not too interested in used cars.

The first criterion is that the car remain elegant, yet visceral, and can turn into a beast instantly. I know this is pretty much what defines a Porsche, but it's what I really want, and what has helped me make color choices etc.

The car will be my only car, so it must be comfortable and PDK for me is pretty much a no brainer. It will also be driven across country, mostly from Houston to the Rockies. I don't really intend on driving it up there during the winter, however.

I am not afraid of really speccing this thing up, and am more than willing to pay for them.

I have to say, that this forum is AMAZING. The amount of information on here is like nothing I have ever seen for such a specific topic. I trully appreciate your time, feel free to ask questions, make comments about my idiocy etc.
Go for the 997.2 GT3!!!! Their MSRP are $112,000. You said you could stretch the budget a little more... I don't know if you would like to drive it as a Daily Drive car... I heard that the clutch is really hard and the suspension is really stiff... But it is the ultimate performance car

Do you want RWD or AWD? Also I did not get the part whether you wanted PDK or not...

Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Cayman S 2009 is infamous around these parts
Just my opions

Just my opinions

Originally Posted by Majestyk
Alrighty. I have personally narrowed it down to either a Carrera S, or perhaps (depending on financials/ what you guys say) a GT3. The GT3 would pretty much be the base car, with navigation.

Here is what I am thinking for the Carrera S:

19" Sport Design Wheel
Your choice

Sand Beige interior
Full leather interior for me, it's a 100K sport car. I can't bear not full leather.

Aqua Blue Metallic exterior
Again, your choice.

Dynamic Cornering
Do you drive it a lot at night. I live in suburbs and I come home late, so is half day half night driving for me. A good lighting system means safe. Well worth it.

Park Assist
When you back up, how many times you had bumped into something? I don't like the beep when I focus on back up. I might had bumped one or twice since I have my licence (30 years +). My other car has rear view camera. I never look at it. I feel safer and will pay more attention by not using it. It's only a $530.00 option, but I save it.

Self Dimming mirrors
Well worth the money, safety feature. You can flip the mirror inside but not the one outside, specially the passenger side. So get it.

PDK
Check all the forum. A must unless you are a diehard manual guy. I have both manual and automatic car. I enjoy manual for sport car, but I order a PDK C4S. It is a trend for the future of automatic gearbox and you can drive semi manual too if you like. For a DD car, I will take it. I believe a 30k Honda will have double clutch soon.

PASM Sport
It is a free sporty option on C4S and $950 on C2S come with LSD. unless you do mind the 20mm lower body look, I think this is a no brainier.

Sport Chrono Plus
With PDK, 0-60 4.1 sec. Should packed with PDK together.

Sport Exhaust
This one take me long to decide. I sure know I won't go for a after market exhaust system (this is not a Civi), and I don't want to bother my neighborhood. $2500.00 sounds not justify only for the better deeper sound. Also Porsche claims there is no performance boost.
The reason of why I finally took it because I was not sure. I play safe.

Adaptive Sport Seats
I think regular Sport Seats can save you around 2K. Once you find your sweet spot. They are the same. You play with the car not the seat. Can save some $ here.

Porsche crest in headrests
$280.00, why not. This is something very easy to ask your sales to give you before you pull out your check book. I got it along with carpet and set of color wheels crest, I keep the old one for my winter wheels set.

Carbon Package
Your choice again. Full leather interior already looks very good.

BOSE
I don't expect the $1400.00 upgrade will give me excellent sound quality, you will never have it. Just imagine the tire noise of 235 front 305 rear on the highway.
But it provide 5.1 DVD audio and a surround effect which is not available on standard Sound system ( I have a lot DVD Audio so I pick Bose). Surround Sound can also mask the sound quality which make you feel a larger sound field, it is good for a less roomy car with poor stereo. If you just do casual listening, you probably don't need it.

Multifunction Carbon steering wheel
It works well with PCM together, also is a safely feature. The stock wheel is dullish to me.

Navigation system can be skip by using a $200.00 Garmin, much better.

As for bluetooth and universal audio connection. I use a $40.00 Motorola T505 (ebay) as a hand free phone connection. It does a excellent job plus it can use built in bluetooth and FM transmit whatever songs and video from my iphone to the head unit wirelessly. It doesn't load the contact list to the PCM but I can simply press a button and voice dial. For $40.00, nothing can beat it.

Forget about the voice control. My wife laugh every time I say go home and the system say "Sorry, there is no gas station near by"

Some of these things might later get removed as "unnecessary", but for plugging into my financial spreadsheet, it gives me a ballpark number for what the car is going to cost.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
I'd go for Natural Brown over Sand.
Add Carrera S model designation Armrest (Its Cheap and adds a nice touch)
And ditch the BOSE / the standard Sound System Plus sounds better.

Have Fun

Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Makes the car a fine place to live and play:

XM Satellite and the Universal Audio Interface- Who listens to commercial radio?
Sport Chrono w/ PDK- Tailored shift and throttle maps, mild to wild. Phenominal.
PASM Sport Suspension- A little lower, ride is not compromised.
PCCB- Reduced rotating mass, lower unsprung weight, no dust, looks awesome. If you don't regularly track the car, and finances allow, this is a no-brainer to accent driving dynamics and pedal feel.
Dynamic Cornering Lights- Try a car with and without, you will never go back to static lights.
Seat Ventilation- As the OP noted, in warmer weather, these are mighty fine and reduce/eliminate sweaty backs. Love mine.
Natural/Special Leather- Perforated for sporty look and better breathing. Softer, more supple, covers more areas in the ****pit. Love mine.

Be sure to sit in and try the various seats! Make sure you pick the one that fits your body!