997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Baby seat question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
mstams is infamous around these parts
I have the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster (made by Britax) which fits perfectly due to its extremely narrow width and is adjustable. The back is removable and there's even enough room for the small cupholder to attach on one side.

I don't use the seat back with my 6 yr old. She prefers riding with only the booster bottom and the factory seat back. I remove the rear seat bottom (just pull it right out) and the fabric portion of the Safe Voyage seat bottom cover naturally sticks to the velcro that is already in place. No rear seat also makes cleaning up after the little ones a snap -- just vacuum the carpet of any crumbs they leave behind.

They are much cheaper than the Porsche seats and fit like a glove. Problem is they are no longer made so they can be hard to find. We liked it so much that when shopping for another seat for my wife's Audi S6 with sport seats I bought a few spares. PM me if anyone is interested.

Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
kiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to behold
So, here are the pics I promised, the first few are with the seat cushion still in place, the next few are with the cushion removed. I think i paid $70 for the seat online. My daughter loves it....she picked the color!

Attached Images      
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kiet420
So, here are the pics I promised, the first few are with the seat cushion still in place, the next few are with the cushion removed. I think i paid $70 for the seat online. My daughter loves it....she picked the color!
so if I see it right you did remove plastic base, right?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM
kiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to beholdkiet420 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
so if I see it right you did remove plastic base, right?
You know, it fits either way...with the cushion it sits alittle higher is all, it feels a bit more snug with the cushion, IMHO. Hope that helps...I think people remove it so that the leather doesn't get damaged

Last edited by kiet420; 07-22-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot a few words....
Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
oregondave is infamous around these parts
Looks like the booster seats are easier to fit than infant seats as there's less material to fit and the depth (front to back) is less. I'm working to get my Maxi Cosi Priori installed and will take it to a local high end baby shop today to do this install and/or advise if another seat works better. While the seat fits the narrow back seat on my 997s, the side impact pads and side bolsters on the seat don't leave much room to thread the seatbelt through the retention mechanism (the seat fits snug against the interior panels so you can't reach around 1 side). If I ever get this figured out I think I'll make a video to help other people out - this shouldn't be that difficult!

Regarding the seat cushion, I'll talk with the experts today, but my preference is to remove it and put the seat in lower. I can see why someone might want to keep the seat bottom installed to better secure the seat or booster - in that case I'd recommend buying a spare sacrificial cushion as baby seats tend to permanently mark leather (found out the hard way in my Lexus despite 2 layers of towels underneath).

Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
does anyone have pics of a rear facing infant seat in a 997? i wonder how far forward the passenger seat needs to go in order to accomodate this position.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by akim47
does anyone have pics of a rear facing infant seat in a 997? i wonder how far forward the passenger seat needs to go in order to accomodate this position.
Far enough forward to make it unusable. You may even have to flip the backrest on the seat forward along with sliding it forward.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 PM
oregondave is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Far enough forward to make it unusable. You may even have to flip the backrest on the seat forward along with sliding it forward.
Yep. I'm 100% sure there is no car seat that will work rear facing in the back of any 911. Even forward facing is a real challenge. A few seats work in the narrow width but very few leave any leg room between the infant seat and the back of the passenger seat.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
So, here are the pics I promised, the first few are with the seat cushion still in place, the next few are with the cushion removed.
Hi, I wonder what did you mean by 'cushion removed'.
I installed recaro vivo couple of days ago and it does not seem if one can remove anything from it rather than foam from the seat itself but then it probably would be very uncomfortable.
Plastic base is definitely not removable. I mounted it on a thick bath towel, hope it will not ruin the seat.

PS. It fits well, may be even a bit too tight so you do not have much space between booster and seatbelt lock. But my kid loved it.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-25-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM
RickyN F355 is infamous around these partsRickyN F355 is infamous around these parts
06 cab, took the seats out, too the base off the roundabout and i cant get in secure enough. had my buddy try also, same results, just not tight enough.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Child seats are make no difference for children 2 years and older.

I didn't believe it either. Steven Levitt (Freakanomics) did some research.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levi..._carseats.html

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
RickyN F355 is infamous around these partsRickyN F355 is infamous around these parts
even so, if u get caught without one ur prob going to have lots of 'splainin to do!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Baby seat available from someone on Rennlist. See HERE.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Hi, I wonder what did you mean by 'cushion removed'.
I installed recaro vivo couple of days ago and it does not seem if one can remove anything from it rather than foam from the seat itself but then it probably would be very uncomfortable.
Plastic base is definitely not removable. I mounted it on a thick bath towel, hope it will not ruin the seat.

PS. It fits well, may be even a bit too tight so you do not have much space between booster and seatbelt lock. But my kid loved it.
You can remove the leather cushion of your car seat. It is held in place with velcro, just pull it right off and the booster should sit lower and your leather seat won't get ruined. Take a closer look at the pics, I think i posted both..

Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
You can remove the leather cushion of your car seat. It is held in place with velcro, just pull it right off and the booster should sit lower and your leather seat won't get ruined. Take a closer look at the pics, I think i posted both..
yep, thanks, i figured that out yesterday actually, even uninstalled vertical seat back but then returned it back as booster was not stable enough without it.

My kid seems to like it what is important.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Baby seat question