997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel Center Cap...Noobie Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Wheel Center Cap...Noobie Question

Ok, need some advice from the experts here.

I just got some new HRE P40's put on my car. I never got around to telling the installer what center cap I wanted to have put on (either the Porsche colored crest of the HRE branded one). They went ahead and put back on the OEM colored crest.

What would you guys do? Call me total noobie here but I'm not sure what is the "norm"? I tried searching some threads but threre doesn't seem to be much of an answer. Am I just way overthinking things here?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
If you wanted to switch, you could try listing them for trade in the for sale section, maybe someone would want to trade. They're plenty of guys with your wheels on 6speed.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Wheels are a very personal thing.....do what you want.
I have a variety of rims, Fikse, HRE, and TechArt....on almost all I have placed Porsche center caps....none are OE caps but other I have selected but no matter. On one set of HREs I had to get the Porsche centers machined to get the best flush fit.

Decisions also can be.....which Porsche centers to use.....do you finish centers to match wheels.....do you paint the crest. I'm not **** about this....but there are plenty of options....do what you like.....(just as long as long as you point the crests bottom point toward the valve stem ).

Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
There is no "norm".

It's your car, do what you want!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Thanks for the responses so far. Based on GreggT's response, I guess I haven't overthought it to much. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to search some more and look at more pictures.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I woild no way switch the Hre center cap . It's bragging rights right there. Porsche can design many terrific things but they have yet to place a stock wheel on a 997S even close to a P40 in quality.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I woild no way switch the Hre center cap . It's bragging rights right there. Porsche can design many terrific things but they have yet to place a stock wheel on a 997S even close to a P40 in quality.
You haven't steered me wrong so far

Ok, phone call to the installers tomorrow to ask about where the HRE caps are and when can they put them on.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I had a set of HRE's and I liked the look of the HRE caps. They do tend to have there colour wear off the logo over time.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
I have the HRE caps on my p40's..I also have my old turbo caps in case I decide to change them out in the future..

Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
HRE caps Joe.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM
444YYY is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GreggT
(just as long as long as you point the crests bottom point toward the valve stem ).
THAT is hardcore. I like it!!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
ghsu is infamous around these parts
I like the hub caps to match the finish on the wheels, so for instance, if you have the HRE brushed aluminum finish, your stock OEM hub caps don't match precisely. In this case, I'd go with the HRE caps b/c they match. My HRE P43s are the silver powdercoat, which HRE specifically matches to Porsche's OEM silver finish, so I use the OEM hub caps. I understand that HRE will custom finish hub caps with the Porshce crest. That is definitely the hot way to go if you have any of the HRE finishes that aren't the silver powdercoat, in my opinion...