997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

who other 997 owners loved the styling of the 993?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tmg57
In their day, I loved the styling of my 964 and 993, but never really warmed up to my 996. There was nothing about that car that I liked. My 997 looks just fine.
I agree that the original narrow-body 996's weren't much to rave about, but the 2002-2004 996 C4S was absolutely beautiful!! All the wide-body Turbo-look features plus that full red tail light/reflector made it look very agressive and unique - a classic! All it needed was more power. I traded my 2003 C4S for a new 2009 C4S and I absolutely love the power of the 997.2, but it doesn't even come close in looks to the 996 C4S. By the way, I like the interior dashboard layout of the 997 but I think the interior door panels of the 996 C4S are much better looking than those of the 997.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by etwd
couldn't have said it better myself! Well done!

Other than the front lights being round, therre is NO other difference..............
(996 haters, go for a long walk on a short pier)
I am no 996 hater...but that's just Clarkson's attempt at humor. No self-respecting 911 enthusiast would ever suggest that the 996 and 997 look the same. Aside from the difference in the headlights, the proportions at the hips are different as well.

I have never mistaken a 996 for a 997, just like I’ve never mistaken a 993 for a 997 just because the headlights are round.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the 993 was the most flowing and coordinated exterior design of all the modern Porsche 911's that preceded or followed it. ( The 356 is in a class by itself and as such not included in my comparison.)

As for the interior, I think the 997 is the most visually appealing, small and enigmatic control buttons aside. Overall quality and durability of the interior I would award to any of the cars built prior to the 996.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:20 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Another indicator of the general consensus of people who prefer the classic stylings of the 911 sans 996 are the prices...996 prices have dropped below the level of the 993 even though it's older. I don't think it has anything to do with "collectability" or air-cooled vs. water cooled, but rather demand for all round headlight 911's. You can pick up a base 996 in the 30k range and a 993 in the 40k range...even with the 5 year age difference.

I find the 996 is also slab-sided at certain angles. Porsche put the waste back in with the 997 which makes the hips stand out more.

PS: It's not hate, just a personal preference...if you own a 996, it's still a Porsche...I wouldn't take it personally. Heck, I still look at them whenever I see them and have a few pics of some at a recent car show.

J

Old 06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
flash80 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
Another indicator of the general consensus of people who prefer the classic stylings of the 911 sans 996 are the prices...996 prices have dropped below the level of the 993 even though it's older. I don't think it has anything to do with "collectability" or air-cooled vs. water cooled, but rather demand for all round headlight 911's.
J
This is wrong on so many levels. Have you looked at prices for 997s recently? Base 997s are in the 40s and 997TTs are in the 80-90s.

The 993 IS more collectable because they made less of them. It's simple supply and demand.

I'm not here to argue asthetics, I think that the 993, 996 and 997 all are great looking cars. Porsche enthisiasts will always be able to tell them apart, but the average person has no clue. Everyone always asks me if my car is brand new.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
Wink VW bug style headlights aren't for everyone

I do prefer the more pronounced hips & tailight design of the 997, but I actually think the MKII 996 headlamp design is the best Porsche has made. Whenever I see a VW Bug/Beetle or any non-996 911 coming up behind me from a distance, I can't even tell wether it's a VW or a Porsche. It really doesn't look like a sports car design for today. That's just my personal opinion, & you could say I'm biased. But lets take into consideration the real world, unbiased, normal people's (non-enthusiasts) opinions: When my brother still had his 997 S Cab (which was beautifully optioned, Carrara White, beige interior, sport design wheels, sport chrono, etc.), we used to work at the same place & park next to eachother & people would always ask me if MY car was the newer one or a "more expensive model" & they would always complement me a lot more on how sporty or aggresive it looks. ...The questions for him would usually be if it's an old car & some ignorant people would even ask if it's some kind of VW, lol.

Last edited by RaphaelP; 06-25-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold

Other than the front lights being round, therre is NO other difference..............
Hmmmm...

I guess no one really noticed the wider rear ends on the 997 compared to the flat *** of the 996?

What's wrong with not liking a 996? Every car maker has to have a bad model year somewhere...too bad it fell on the 996.

It's just an opinion, if it don't matter to you... then who cares what some of us think. No need to resort to violence

But if you say so... I'll go for a long walk to my 997 and instead --- enjoy its beautiful lines.

The 996 is still a great car. But as far as looks is concerned, it's the least attractive of the Carrera model line...that's all. No hard feelings.

Last edited by rockstardoc; 06-25-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
Hmmmm...

I guess no one really noticed the wider rear ends on the 997 compared to the flat *** of the 996?

What's wrong with not liking a 996? Every car maker has to have a bad model year somewhere...too bad it fell on the 996.

It's just an opinion, if it don't matter to you... then who cares what some of us think. No need to resort to violence

But if you say so... I'll go for a long walk to my 997 and instead --- enjoy its beautiful lines.
Concerning your first comment...

This may or may not be related, but when I was looking at the 996 and 997 GT3 RSR's, the latter do seem to be a bit wider (even though both are sporting huge flares). The former seem to be noticeably narrower.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
maybe a pic of my ride will promote some 996 love

Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
ske
ske is infamous around these parts
i love the 996 for the sense that porsche took the chance to try something different, try on the new shoes and see how they fit. I am also a jaguar fanatic, just as they are straying now from what they've done for so long for the sake of progress and profitability, porsche did this in 1999 with the 996.

it was a great success for porsche as the 996 sold so much better than the 993, though we 996ers may be less vocal about it. In the end, who cares? The car did well and helped make porsche the successful giant they are now.

but yea, the 997 is sexier, and i'll be first in line drooling at the 998 ; )

Old 06-26-2009, 05:34 AM
fastgt350 has a spectacular aura aboutfastgt350 has a spectacular aura aboutfastgt350 has a spectacular aura about

clarkson is a biased putz

Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
ls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura aboutls911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
I know, same here. I completely forgot about porsche, and really cars in general, after the 996 came out. Sort of killed my hope in cars.

But one day back around 2005 ...

Wow! Me Too!!!

if felt exactly the same, not only gave up hope in all cars but humanity as well.
Please ignore my avatar..not sure how that fugly thing got there, probably someones idea of a sick joke.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
996.... also c4s, what happened?

Although porsche had better designs then the 996, the 996 was still better then many of the other options out there for sports cars choices. Wide bodied C4S 996 will still catch my eye as will a 996TT, but a basic none modded 996 is scary bland,,,,, as is a stock 997 IMO....

also..... another Porsche let down to me was the 997 c4s...... a wider stance and different badge is all about visually sets these cars apart from a base narrow 997........... at least 996 c4s got turbo facia, turbo brakes, wheels etc...with the c4s package.. a few things that really made it shine above a stock 996. Just when you saw a c4s 996 it was much nicer looking then a narrow stock 996.....sometimes looking more Turbo then narrow bodied 996......... where today a 997c4s isn't all that better looking then a narrow stock 997.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
speedyjp is infamous around these parts
tho i love everything about my often disliked skinny butted 996 daily driver...

i admit to preferring the styling of both the 997 and 993 models especially with the wider *****. something about those 997 hips & lines and the near legacy looking front ends (yes i do like those headlights better than mine) just bring back the legendary styling & trademarks of the 911 breed combined with more modern agressiveness. i'd love to have a 993 for its rawness when able to take advantage of it and a 997 with PDK for the horrendous day to day traffic pileups around here... but for now i'll just keep loving my 996 slushbox till its time to move on.

tho i've never owned a 993 nor obviously a 997, my previous pcars were a 82 911sc and a 94 964.

do any of you recall the 964 vs 993 styling debates? haha

Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
Very gracious of you to be so objective...and for the record, I like the 996 as well, both in NB and WB variations. In the end, they are all 911's and they all have the fundamental rear engine design DNA that's unmistakable. (Form Follows Function)

I actually prefer the look of pre 993's and if I have to have an air cooled 911, my thought is that you go all the way for a true old-school experience. I love the 964's and I also love the 911 SC's - they are just simple and pure. Give me a Turbo Look coupe, and I'll pass it on to my son.

Originally Posted by speedyjp
tho i love everything about my often disliked skinny butted 996 daily driver...

i admit to preferring the styling of both the 997 and 993 models especially with the wider *****. something about those 997 hips & lines and the near legacy looking front ends (yes i do like those headlights better than mine) just bring back the legendary styling & trademarks of the 911 breed combined with more modern agressiveness. i'd love to have a 993 for its rawness when able to take advantage of it and a 997 with PDK for the horrendous day to day traffic pileups around here... but for now i'll just keep loving my 996 slushbox till its time to move on.

tho i've never owned a 993 nor obviously a 997, my previous pcars were a 82 911sc and a 94 964.

do any of you recall the 964 vs 993 styling debates? haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: who other 997 owners loved the styling of the 993?