997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

EVOMS V-Flow questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
EVOMS V-Flow questions

I just purchased and installed an EVOMS V-flow intake on my 997S. Very nice product and a seemingly straightforward installation. I have just a couple of questions and was wondering if someone(s) with installation experience could assist. BTW, unless I missed something, it seems odd that while having excellent installation instructions, EVOMS doesn't seem to have any assembly instructions, which is the basis of my questions:
1. The system was freshly boxed with the red-colored filter wrapped in plastic. I'm assuming it comes pre-oiled and so I don't have to deal with oiling for the next 10K miles or so?
2. The filter/venturi(collar)/intake pipe (with MAP sensor) connection was a bit confusing. The collar has three brass threaded holes but there seem to be no screws/holes to fasten it. Is that correct? And in that regard, the collar connects through the hole in the housing into the intake pipe but is not 'fastened' to the pipe other than a press fit. Did I miss something?
3. There is a 90 degree rubber elbow that is part of the parts bag. It seems to be identical to a part already installed in the car that is part of the Helmholtz resonator assembly (from recollection, I don't have the car in front of me at the moment - and, btw, about the funniest name for a car part I've ever heard!). Um, what's it for? Ahem.
Thanks in advance,
Verde

Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I didn't install mine, but I do know that the filter is ready to go when you get it out of the package.

The threaded holes are likely for reconnecting the Mass Airflow Sensor, and other items to the unit.

I could take a picture of mine if that would help, other wise this is a good bump to hopefully get some one else to chime in.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
h2woo is infamous around these parts
1. yes it is preoiled, less is more so it may look dry but it is ready to go

2. that is what i did, press fit. it's nice and tight, no use for the 3 holes

3. i didn't get a 90 degree rubber elbow, but i did get a rubber nipple cap to plug the helmholtz vacuum hole.

enjoy the intake! it's not nearly as loud as my boxster evo intake was, but that could be the difference between driving a rear-mounted engine and a mid-engine car.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, that really helps. I had to assume that is was pre-oiled but I really wanted to check. I wonder how/when the three holes are used? It seems that one could drill out the plastic body and secure the venturi ring to the body using two or three of those brass threaded holes. It would ensure that there is no air leakage of hot engine air in to the intake. Maybe someday, but glad I didn't miss something.
And I did get the rubber cover for the Helmholtz relay which I did use. The elbow must have just fallen from the sky.
I'd also like to figure out (perhaps when I drill out the body - above) how to reuse the rubber shock mount that secures the original airbox. Just seems like a good idea.

For the other post, thanks for the response. I was not referring to the predrilled MAF holes (which I did use properly!!) but to the three brass threaded holes in the venturi/ring that attaches to the filter.

BTW, it may just be psychological due to the (slight) change in sound, but the engine does seem more free-revving above 4K RPM. Feels like it has a lighter flywheel. It's really a nice mod and excellent price/performance compared to most.

Originally Posted by h2woo
1. yes it is preoiled, less is more so it may look dry but it is ready to go

2. that is what i did, press fit. it's nice and tight, no use for the 3 holes

3. i didn't get a 90 degree rubber elbow, but i did get a rubber nipple cap to plug the helmholtz vacuum hole.

enjoy the intake! it's not nearly as loud as my boxster evo intake was, but that could be the difference between driving a rear-mounted engine and a mid-engine car.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Red Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the rough
Verde,
Be careful about the oiling of your filter. You should check with them to see if you have an oil based or the new non-oil synthetic filter. The oil based filters can cause MAS problems. If you have the oil base one-recommend you buy the filter sock and avoid the oiling. You can always remove and clean the filter

Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
From their catalog, it appears that the 'red' one is the oiled filter and the grey/black one is the non-oiled. Mine came with the 'red' one. It seems that the latter (grey/black) is designed to be used with the sock. Would it be safe to assume that it comes from the factory pre-oiled and that they know how to dole out just the right amount?
It's my assumption that the oil/MAF issue arises when home mechanics (such as myself) try to clean and re-oil the filter and overdo it - creating the MAF mess. Though I have oil-based K&N filters on my other cars that I plan to clean and re-oil, the Porsche is a $100K sports car that is very CEL trigger happy so I plan to just buy a new one (about $79.00) each time. When that arises, the question is which one to get?
Am I getting all this right?
And thanks,
Verde

Originally Posted by Red Bogey
Verde,
Be careful about the oiling of your filter. You should check with them to see if you have an oil based or the new non-oil synthetic filter. The oil based filters can cause MAS problems. If you have the oil base one-recommend you buy the filter sock and avoid the oiling. You can always remove and clean the filter

Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Red Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the rough
Buy the new one, it's cheaper than having to replace the MAS.
Enjoy the awesome sound it make's!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
lakercarrera is infamous around these parts
how is the intake I am considering getting one

Old 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
anthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really nice
Originally Posted by Red Bogey
Verde,
VERY good advice. This has happened in many other cars when people have put on oiled filters. Definitely good to hear it first hand from someone who has direct experience with this particular application, though.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Most have commented that the sound is significantly different/better. I haven't noticed much of a change, though what is different is definitely better. But I really think that from mid-rpm on up, the engine revs more freely. As if 5 lbs were taken off of the stock flywheel. I may need more time to listen more closely, but so far, it's all good and nothing bad. I'd recommend it.
With this, for the 997S, my list of 'must have' mods are:
Bilstein's (for Damptronics);
H&R bars or others
Aftermarket mufflers (I really like my Fabspeeds)
EVOMS V-Flow
I drove to SFO and back from the peninsula today and the car is just about perfect. It is an amazing ride. Couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted by lakercarrera
how is the intake I am considering getting one

Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 AM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
Car definitely is a lot more free revving in the latter half of the rev range. I had to get used to the red line coming sooner than expected so you do have to modify your shifts accordingly.
There is a noted "whoosh" that you can hear as it sucks air in. Ofcourse if you have a modified exhaust like I do, that sound is less audible.
Not sure if the 10-15 stated HP gain is real or not, as it would then put is close to the 997.2 territory. Still think the best guaranteed bang for the buck performance upgrade is the SSK.

Last edited by stardoc; 07-03-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 AM
h2woo is infamous around these parts
overall it's a great kit. the removal of the stock and install procedure is very straightforward. i have found at around 5000rpm this thing sings. i'm kinda wishing my city had more underpasses and tunnels to drive thru.