997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

new iPhone gs and PCM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:53 AM
ayrton1975 is infamous around these parts
new iPhone gs and PCM

I bring my experience, I have just buy an iPhone 3gs 32 gb to be connected to my 997 pcm.
To my regret, I immediately noticed that the bluetooth fortunately works but the cable interface to pcm the iphone not charging the phone while making them listen to mp3.
I feel really strange and not functional and also a contradiction.
What's more I can not understand if this is a problem of software or data cable supplied.
I do not know if it has already happened to some of you!
Ciao thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Apple has shifted the design of their interface from 12V charging (firewire) to 5V charging (USB.) The iPhone originally used 12V firewire for charging...as did older iPods and Shuffles...They shifted to 5V charging in the last year. Which means devices which used to charge older iPhones, iPods, Shuffles can no longer charger newer devices.

To remedy this, you can purchase a new cable:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...9972electronic

or, an interface adapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9QvWu5ggE

Old 07-03-2009, 07:05 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Ayrton, take a look at your cable...is it a 9 pin din? Is your car using PCM 3.0? The cable from SunCoast should work fine.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:47 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
There is an adapter you can buy from Griffin that you place between the device and the cable. I needed to get one for my new Nano...its easy

Jason

Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 PM
First of all I wanted to compliment for your amazing porsche!
Thank you for the explanation bbywu very precise, you have been very precious and also you Jason, but it is incredible that it should go to statunitens users to understand what is the problem, you are always ahead of others, there's nothing to do!
I'm trying to see if I can send me in italy Kit suggested by bbywu But I also warned of the problem porsche workshop of my city exposing what bbywu said.
We'll see if we manage to solve anything!
Thanks guys!
Greetings from Italy and I will make you know what went ...

Old 07-03-2009, 04:35 PM
simgr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
Ayrton, take a look at your cable...is it a 9 pin din? Is your car using PCM 3.0? The cable from SunCoast should work fine.
Maybe I'm dumb but it took me 3 weeks to realize that with the new cable you need to plug BOTH the round DIN plug AND the USB plug into the car - once you do that, the car will charge the 3g(s) iPhone... seems like a neat solution to the problem to me if only Porsche had told us...

My May build '09 997.2 actually came with this cable as standard (but the dealer didn't realize either) - so now I have a spare - anyone in the Boston area need one?

/simgr

Old 07-03-2009, 07:25 PM
ervjohns is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simgr
Maybe I'm dumb but it took me 3 weeks to realize that with the new cable you need to plug BOTH the round DIN plug AND the USB plug into the car - once you do that, the car will charge the 3g(s) iPhone... seems like a neat solution to the problem to me if only Porsche had told us...

My May build '09 997.2 actually came with this cable as standard (but the dealer didn't realize either) - so now I have a spare - anyone in the Boston area need one?

/simgr
I am so dumb I didn't realize that either! No wonder my iPod is not charging....

Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simgr

/simgr
You are not dumb - the cable should describe its usage. I see that PAG found a workaround and not a solution. They bring the +5V pin from the USB connector. By doing so one cannot have an iPod and a flash drive connected simultaneously. Duh!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 AM
perhaps the best accessory for you adias and also for me is the schosce, I'm trying to see if I can send me in italy, but why we are so backward here in Italy damn!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ayrton1975
perhaps the best accessory for you adias and also for me is the schosce, I'm trying to see if I can send me in italy, but why we are so backward here in Italy damn!
The problem with that is its bulkiness. It makes for a very tight fit in that small compartment.

And BTW... you can buy it in Italy straight from Apple - see HERE.

Last edited by adias; 07-04-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Great!!!! I had no thought to look on apple store, what a fool, then we are not so backward in Italy!
Thanks adias i'll buy it and try to see if i can put all that into the small box...

Old 07-04-2009, 11:13 PM
psloss is infamous around these parts
CableJive has a unit that will insert between the cable and the iPhone 3G(S) which is shorter than the other unit mentioned in this thread. I have them both and the CableJive unit is a better fit. Here's the link http://www.cablejive.com/charge-converter

Old 07-05-2009, 05:53 AM
I spoke with an importer of cables and components for car audio and also dension importer which is the manufacturer of the gateway 500, that is in my Porsche, and told me that already comes to 5v then it seems only a matter of software compatibility between the gateway and the 3.0 pcm infact the official web site Dension not be appointed pcm 3.0.
Again, because I think that the gateway 500 is also used by audi, I go to watch a Q7 for a friend of mine to see if it uses the gateway 500, he told me that his 32GB iPhone gs is recharged.
I'll also contact Dension!
See you soon

Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by ayrton1975
I spoke with an importer of cables and components for car audio and also dension importer which is the manufacturer of the gateway 500, that is in my Porsche, and told me that already comes to 5v then it seems only a matter of software compatibility between the gateway and the 3.0 pcm infact the official web site Dension not be appointed pcm 3.0.
Again, because I think that the gateway 500 is also used by audi, I go to watch a Q7 for a friend of mine to see if it uses the gateway 500, he told me that his 32GB iPhone gs is recharged.
I'll also contact Dension!
See you soon

Why do you need a Dension unit if you already have PCM 3.0? Doesn't PCM 3.0 already have an iPod interface?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 AM
psloss is infamous around these parts
It has an iPod interface, but it is not compatible with the iPhone 3G(S) or newest Nano. The PCM charges through the firewire connection which Apple has abandoned. The iPhone/Nano will function, but won't charge. The CableJive adapter fixes the problem and charges the devices properly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new iPhone gs and PCM