997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche:0 Xterra:1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
v21
v21 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 808c2s
This is what an XTerra can do to your beloved by backing into you while waiting at a stop light . Mother F#%$@ker! Sorry, had to vent.

Attachment 100131

I see people driving and it looks like 70% of the population is retarded! What a moron.

This is infuriating.

I always anticipate moves like these by morons out there and make sure I leave plenty of distance between me and the car in front of me.

Always leave a lot space: quick get-away in case of danger, people backing-up on purpose or without knowing it, someone rear-ending your car pushing it into the car ahead, etc.

Make sure the back tires of the car in front of you are visible to you and then double that distance between you and the car ahead just to be safe.

So sorry about your car.

You hit my sentiment exactly on the head. If people would just pause and think a bit and not be so inconsiderate of others around them, things would be a lot better in this world.

Anyway, dropped the car off this AM at the shop. My insurance will take care of it first, then go after the OP's insurance for reimbursements. The OP insurance contacted me to start the claim process. They're awaiting the OP's version of the accident. Will see how honest she is. I still have faith .

I'm anxiously waiting for the repair estimate as well.

That's going to be a $6,000 job.

Next, her insurance will send an adjuster to hassle the body shop of your choice but in a nutshell, they fix the car, get paid directly and you won't have to deal with anything money-related.
Make sure they use OEM parts too if that's what you want.

Her insurance should be able to offer something for each day the repair estimate timeframe is written for by the adjuster (like $25/ day). Most people just take the cash, some elect to have a car rental paid for instead.

This will also cost you time and more aggravation unfortunately.

I hope her insurance premiums go through the roof, moron.

Lesson for everyone:
When you have the other party's insurance info, it's smarter to file a claim with their insurance. This keeps your insurance out of the equation which is good even if you weren't at fault. No filed claim on your policy is always best.

If the counter-party admitted responsibility (and you will have taken plenty of pictures of the location and of the cars under different angles as well as, the other driver and DMV windshield tag up-close), their insurance will pay for your car to be repaired at the body shop of your choice.
If not, then involve your insurance and let them handle it.

Always keep a voice recorder in the car (check recording laws in your state, in mine, it's a one-part-consent on the phone and no restriction in public places face-to-face meeting recording), a camera (cellphone camera works too) and *always* call the cops to file a report even the other driver begs you not to and the cops give you a hard time to file one (it's paperwork for them and they don't like to if no one is injured): there will be almost no recourse in case the other driver's story changes.
In cases like these, it puts pressure on the person at fault, they won't easily lie in the face of the cop right then and there. As time passes their story is more likely to change.

Last edited by v21; 07-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
why cant women back up?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM
vexed is infamous around these parts
Vexed,

Thanks for the tip. I don't think you will be able to see my car, as it will probably be under cover per Dwayne. He was rather nervous having my car at his shop . I told him that he took care of an F50 before, this is nothing .
I saw the back of it, he parked it in the new area closer to the court. I am sure he will ensure no one touches it.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
v21,

That is good advice. I usually allow enough room between me and the car in front. My space is when I can see the vehicle's back tires. Your distance is even greater than that. Hmmm gotta reevaluate my driving technique.

Well, although she's a moron, I just hope she learned something from this. As long as she admits it's her fault with her insurance company, that's justice enough for me.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
vexed,

Thanks for checking it out for me. Yeah, Dwayne and his son are good people. Do you belong to PCA-Hawaii?

Originally Posted by vexed
I saw the back of it, he parked it in the new area closer to the court. I am sure he will ensure no one touches it.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[QUOTE][When you have the other party's insurance info, it's smarter to file a claim with their insurance. This keeps your insurance out of the equation which is good even if you weren't at fault. No filed claim on your policy is always best.
/QUOTE]

If this were a Honda I would agree but a modified Porsche owner gets minimal sympathy about having to dig deep even when its not his fault . Even if he repairs it to the letter of how it was there's a diminished value resulting from the paint damage and documented accident history.

It never hurts to start out by calling her insurance company and it certainly would be impressive if they cut a check for the full deal but to me that's dreamland .

I think that before he even opens his mouth to any insurance company , if she declared fault , he can let an attorney talk for him . a letter or a phone call costs a few hundred bucks and you can guess 6K for the damage but estimation won't pay the bill .

I do believe your advice is sincere . I simply disagree.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:04 AM
vexed,

Thanks for checking it out for me. Yeah, Dwayne and his son are good people. Do you belong to PCA-Hawaii?
Just joined, ironically my prior car I bought from Scott Schulte and without knowing it sold it to the son of the membership chair. Are you going to the picnic?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Great! The PCA-Hawaii guys are quite nice and mellow guys. Loves to talk about Porsches all day. Unfortunately I won't be at the picnic due to a prior engagement.

Hope to see you at future events.

Just joined, ironically my prior car I bought from Scott Schulte and without knowing it sold it to the son of the membership chair. Are you going to the picnic?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
v21
[QUOTE=yrralis1;2454749]
[When you have the other party's insurance info, it's smarter to file a claim with their insurance. This keeps your insurance out of the equation which is good even if you weren't at fault. No filed claim on your policy is always best.
/QUOTE]

If this were a Honda I would agree but a modified Porsche owner gets minimal sympathy about having to dig deep even when its not his fault . Even if he repairs it to the letter of how it was there's a diminished value resulting from the paint damage and documented accident history.

It never hurts to start out by calling her insurance company and it certainly would be impressive if they cut a check for the full deal but to me that's dreamland .

I think that before he even opens his mouth to any insurance company , if she declared fault , he can let an attorney talk for him . a letter or a phone call costs a few hundred bucks and you can guess 6K for the damage but estimation won't pay the bill .

I do believe your advice is sincere . I simply disagree.

My sentence should have read:
when you have the other person's insurance info and when that person admitted fault to you (that's why you have to have a voice recorder on you and ask the right questions while it's on) and/ or their insurance company, their insurance will pay-up the shop of your choice for your repairs up to the amount their policy allows. If insufficient, your insurance would have to be brought into it to cover the short fall.

That's why it's important to squeeze the party at fault because once some time passes, more often than not they'll change their story or just deny everything. Then it's really tough. And if there is no Police report or if it badly accounts for what actually happened, it's really tough to get some satisfaction in payment.

I don't know whether it makes a difference if it's P car or anything else.

Perhaps I didn't get what you really meant. Would you please clarify?

This is based on unfortunate experience. Have you had any similar situations
you had to deal with?

FYI: I have been pleased with this recorder based on its outdoor performance even with some wind and traffic on site.

Last edited by v21; 07-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Photos, written statements, and recordings are great to have but in this economy it's not common to see the outside party's insurance company pay for ALL of the damage . His customized bumper as well as the diminushed value will be very hard to get . Insurance companies love to accept premiums but do not like paying out --especially with an expensive car which has customized parts.

Some insurance companies pay on the spot (immediate) but it's days since his accident and I have not seen him post that he was offered a check . That's not a good sign .

The bottom line -it's not his faul --

1) If he calls his insurance company -he faces a claim history . Yet there is a proper way to notify them where an attorney can inform them and keep them up to date with every aspect of his car which they are insuring .

2) Her insurance company must be informed and the legal accountability for full immediate payment placed fully on them .

If he calls , or writes .. then his words are left up to their interpretation and when it comes to payment they are very good at making his statements work to THEIR benefit. His damage is in the thousands . It's best to make sure his represntation is done by a legal profesional and what he ends up paying the attorney will be a lot less than what he has at stake to lose.

[quote=v21;2455238]
Originally Posted by yrralis1

My sentence should have read:
when you have the other person's insurance info and when that person admitted fault to you (that's why you have to have a voice recorder on you and ask the right questions while it's on) and/ or their insurance company, their insurance will pay-up the shop of your choice for your repairs up to the amount their policy allows. If insufficient, your insurance would have to be brought into it to cover the short fall.

That's why it's important to squeeze the party at fault because once some time passes, more often than not they'll change their story or just deny everything. Then it's really tough. And if there is no Police report or if it badly accounts for what actually happened, it's really tough to get some satisfaction in payment.

I don't know whether it makes a difference if it's P car or anything else.

Perhaps I didn't get what you really meant. Would you please clarify?

This is based on unfortunate experience. Have you had any similar situations
you had to deal with?

FYI: I have been pleased with this recorder based on its outdoor performance even with some wind and traffic on site.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Update to the repair. Total cost is ~$4700. All OEM parts, including GT3 bumper. My insurance will take care of the repair and go after the other insurance for reimbursement, including deductable.

I decided to get my Insurance co involve as they have a good working relationship with the shop that I put my trust in. The OP insurance co does not work with that shop, so to save me the frustrations, I'll let the 2 companies work it out with each other.

Last edited by 808c2s; 07-14-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
v21
Thanks for the update, not as expensive as I thought it'd be.

The option you chose is also probably the least time-consuming for you as well.

Good luck. Put-up some shots of your P car when it's fixed.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM
V21,

Thanks. Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at the total cost. Not as bad as I thought. Yup, something already good is coming out of this

Originally Posted by v21
Thanks for the update, not as expensive as I thought it'd be.

The option you chose is also probably the least time-consuming for you as well.

Good luck. Put-up some shots of your P car when it's fixed.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I saw your car again last week, it looked like they had dropped the bumper to assess the damage. I am sure they will make things right, and her insurance has no choice. She is 100% at fault and has to pay. Did they give you an estimate of how long to get the parts, paint etc?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Vexed,

Appreciate the update. Yeah, I have no reservations about Dwayne and Jon making it right. As Jon said to me, " no worry, we'll make it disappear for you" .

I just found out from my Insurance co that the actual Police report did not contain any written statement reporting who's at fault, because it's considered a "minor accident", and no injuries were noted with either party. According to the police dept, it's not their job to figure out who's at fault when there's no bodily injuries. I guess that's why we have "No-Fault Insurance" as mandatory coverage huh?

Well, I can only hope the OP is an honest person at this point. We'll see.

Jon said that it'll be done by end of month or early August. Well before the Labor Day Concours event in Sept.

I saw your car again last week, it looked like they had dropped the bumper to assess the damage. I am sure they will make things right, and her insurance has no choice. She is 100% at fault and has to pay. Did they give you an estimate of how long to get the parts, paint etc?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.