997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mobridge impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 PM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Mobridge impressions

Got the Mobridge for ipod and phone the other day. The phone is perfect but the interface for the ipod is OK only. I'm not the type to read the manual so that doesn't help, but I'm finding the music hard to sort. The sound quality of ipod is nowhere near using the CD slot either - but that's probably the ipod's fault.

Overall, I'd recommend the Mobridge to get the bluetooth phone connection but less thrilled on the ipod bit.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I have the MoBridge as well and agree that the iPod interface is pretty weak. But from what I read, it's the limitation of the PCM, rather than the MoBridge itself. It would be interesting to hear from owners of other/equivalent devices about the i/f on theirs. I also have a Cab, which renders the microphone for the bluetooth relatively useless. Maybe there is an alternative mount point that is better.
Re the sound quality, I have the standard sound system (no Bose) and I don't notice that it sounds any worse than a CD.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 AM
tbl178 is infamous around these parts
i have it installed also...ipod interface is kinda hard to use but the sound is pretty good. for the fone, it's good when u have softtop up, but it's down, the other party has hard time to hear u

Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 AM
cakasa is infamous around these parts
Pardon my ignorance .... but what's a MoBridge

Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of the limitation is due to the pcar's software. I have used all three products (Dension, MoBridge, NavTV) and each has inherent limitation due to this. However, it is pretty easy to get used to. The Dension and MoBridge units have always worked well for me, the NavTV does not charge the ipod enough to leave it in your car all the time. Basically if you do not bring your ipod into the house and manually recharge it every few days it is as dead as a brick and causes boot up problems when you start the car (can't find ipod sometimes). This is something that NavTV has refused to address, even though I was involved with testing the unit for them and let them know about it several times. Other than that it works great and navigation is fine.

I've had the best support experiences with MoBridge, Scott (owner) is a really nice guy.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
mObridge audio quality is absolutely fine, assuming you're running decent source material from your iPod. Most of my material is high bit-rate AAC (with some high bit-rate MP3) and it's essentially indistinguishable from the audio from a CD. I'd suggest you do two things, one is to check your source material (any old 128K MP3 files won't cut it anymore) and also to try another iPod to see if you experience the same issues. Plan B is to go back to the installer and have them take a look - you may have an install issue here. As pOrsch3 says, Scott at Mobridge is super-helpful and he'll point you in the right direction.

Two other tips, you can "unlock" the iPod so you can control your music choices directly from the iPod, if you have a large collection it is much quicker than using PCM to select tracks. The other is to make mObridge-specifc playlists for your favorite track/albums. I have getting on for 90GB of music on my iPod and these make it much easier to manage.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
THE 1-99 thing could only be more annoying if it was 1-10
its a clunky interface and would be more elegant if it were just
a powered direct link from the ipod to the head unit using the
ipod as the controler and not the out of date head unit.

Last edited by cuemaster; 07-07-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cuemaster
THE 1-99 thing could only be more annoying if it was 1-10
its a clunky interface and would be more elegant if it were just
a powered direct link from the ipod to the head unit using the
ipod as the controler and not the out of date head unit.
You can do that already. All you need to do is select "exit lock mode" and full control returns to the iPod. Even when you're manually controlling the iPod, you can still select next track or previous track using the arrow buttons on the PCM phone pad.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cakasa
Pardon my ignorance .... but what's a MoBridge
It's a 3rd party ipod and bluetooth integration unit for cars without these as standard. See http://www.mobridgeinc.com/

Also see http://www.dension.com/ as another example of the same type of product. Search both on the forum - there are many people using them.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
cakasa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aggie57
It's a 3rd party ipod and bluetooth integration unit for cars without these as standard. See http://www.mobridgeinc.com/

Also see http://www.dension.com/ as another example of the same type of product. Search both on the forum - there are many people using them.
Gotcha AGGIE57 ..... Thanks for the inlightenment.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cakasa
gotcha aggie57 ..... Thanks for the inlightenment.
oh well.....