997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hypothetical

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Hypothetical

It's a holiday weekend here in the U.S. and so I thought I'd pose a hypothetical. Doubtlessly impractical from an expense perspective, does anyone know if it would be possible to transplant a GT3 engine/gearbox in to a 997S (in my case, a Cab)? By 'possible', is it essentially a bolt to bolt replacement?
If not the GT3, would a TT shovel in there (less interesting though)?
A long-standing Frankenstein'ian dream...

Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 AM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Anything is possible, I guess. Just go to one of those honda forums and you'll see some crazy engine swaps they do. Is it worth it? IMO, not at all. It's better off waiting down the road and trading up to the GT3 or turbo. I'm guessing at least a $30-40K job, but that's just a wild guess.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
from my limited knowledge, the wonder of a GT3 is not just the engine, but the chassis, suspension and everything else put together. In terms of hp, GT3 is not much more than 997S with X51.

It will be cheaper if you buy a TT cab, or a GT3 and chop its roof off.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I agree with the others. You need to account for wiring, computers, differnent mounting points for these items.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I agree with the others. You need to account for wiring, computers, differnent mounting points for these items.
+1 on engine mounts. You would need to fabricate and modify your chasis to accept the engine...different design, different mounts.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
stardoc is infamous around these parts
Why not just throw in a supercharger? Cheaper and more practical and it'll undress the GT3.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it is not at all 'plug-compatible' and it was a hypothetical due to the likely costs. But now it's a total non-starter. And yes, I've considered (and continue to) a sc. My preference is for an na driving feel, or if not that a tt high rpm hit. But the tt is a very heavy car, and I'm also not necessary a fan of AWD. It is interesting to read about some folks who have removed the front drive assembly on the tt.
I was close to pulling the trigger on a sc and then read a few comments about heat soak. Not sure how significant that is and will have to do more research now.
The other issue is that I now have a sum of money and a bunch of personal time invested in my 'S' and I really like it. I'm not a frequent car trader so whatever I do is more likely to be based on the car I have.
By the way, does anybody have any personal experience with RUF sc conversion?
Again, thanks.

Last edited by Verde; 07-04-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Someone placed a Turbo engine in a Gt3 . Big $$$ though. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...-on_195659.htm

Old 07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Here's a little more on the Gt3Rs Turbo https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onversion.html

Old 07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Verde: If you ever are in L.A. let me know, We can go for a ride, my turbo is RWD with a stock motor and for city driving a turbo is great, it has more low end torque than a GT3.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
That's is certainly an odd combination

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Here's a little more on the Gt3Rs Turbo https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onversion.html

Old 07-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on it someday. So, you did the front drive removal? How did it feel post-op, and can you compare it to the feel of a standard RWD P-car (other than the incredible speed)?
Thx

Originally Posted by David9962000
Verde: If you ever are in L.A. let me know, We can go for a ride, my turbo is RWD with a stock motor and for city driving a turbo is great, it has more low end torque than a GT3.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Someone placed a Turbo engine in a Gt3 . Big $$$ though. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...-on_195659.htm
DAMN that sounds sweet !

OHHH man you guys plant these crazy ideas in peoples heads......LOL!

Stacy

Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Stacy --I believe that 9ff cars are built with new internals . In short it's tuning creativity at a level beyond a stock engine with bolt ons . There's some Turbo rivary as tuners from the US hear the claims of the Europeans , see the Euro journalist literature yet these cars never seen to show up at events like Texas Mile .

When I modified my Turbo I placed a limit within reason . I wasn't prepared to mess with the internals . What I have noticed is that the US tuners remain on the cutting edge of offering quality performance at resonable cost. Plus they are here in case something needs to be fixed . Thus far my Evt700 has given incredible reliability . My car is two years old and the only routine maintenace thus far has been to change the oil . I have faced not even one reliability issue with 8600 miles .

You ought to take a peek at the Turbo forum and get a chance to read about some of thse cars . Lately the post volume on that forum has tapered somewhat from last year where several of forum members were eagerly modding . I am not sure if its the down economy or if people simply completed their car's goals . Either way if you ever do get a Turbo .. there's lot of options and ideas to make it even more amazing .

Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't like the understeer, it was really bad compared to my GT3. Now it's awesome and the PSM still works. If you replace the stub axles it's totally reversible and the weight saving is 71 lbs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical