997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Must have upgrades for a new 09" C2S owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 AM
pdto is infamous around these parts
Must have upgrades for a new 09" C2S owner

Hi fellow 6speedonline members!

New member here! I just put down a deposit on a 2009 C2S 6 speed and I would probably be able to pick it up within a week. This is my first Porsche, so this is definitely a new experience to me. I currently drive a 2007 Z4 M Roadster which I am returning very soon.

I am putting up a list of upgrades and possibly ordering some of them before the car is delivered.
1. OEM Clear Side Markers (is ebay a good place for these?)
2. Mower Axle Front Plate Frame
3. Grey 997 Turbo Wheels with Narrow Body fitment (where can I find these besides buying new from the dealership?)
4. Short Shifter (What are the options?)

Is there any must have upgrades I should look at?

Thanks and I hope I can take delivery of the car very soon!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by pdto

New member here! I just put down a deposit on a 2009 C2S 6 speed and I would probably be able to pick it up within a week. This is my first Porsche, so this is definitely a new experience to me. I currently drive a 2007 Z4 M Roadster which I am returning very soon.

I am putting up a list of upgrades and possibly ordering some of them before the car is delivered.
3. Grey 997 Turbo Wheels with Narrow Body fitment (where can I find these besides buying new from the dealership?)

>OEM Clear Side Markers (is ebay a good place for these?)

If you ask your sales rep nicely, he should be able to throw those in for free and have them installed for you at the time of delivery!

Personally, I'd wait on the replacement wheels. Get used to the look of the car in person first. Your opinion of what you want there may change in a few weeks.

You might want to get with your dealer very quickly about the front license plate. I don't know when your guys drill to install the front plate holder, but you don't want to be too late on that.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Sercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura aboutSercan has a spectacular aura about
My brother bought a set of clean and painted side markers for his 99 M Coupe on eBay.. just watch out for the weirdos on eBay.

Good Luck
-Sercan

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Congrats on the new car. The must have upgrades in my opinion are:

1. Exhaust (Tubi for the 997.2 sounds AMAZING)
2. ECU upgrade (go with EVOMSit and free up some more power)
3. Lowering springs (H&R) is a good choice
4. Short shift kit (We run the EVOMS kit on our shop car and love it)

Feel free to let me know if you need any help sourcing out any of the parts you're looking for. Happy to help.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I agree - though with a slight variation. Note: these items are based on my 997.1 car. I suspect that the biggest variant will be the exhaust changes.
1. Handling - coilovers. If you have PASM on your car, I'd recommend the Bilstein's (PSS10's). If not, others are more knowledgeable about alternatives. I hear that Moton's are excellent;
2. Sway bars. I have the H&R's although I would recommend other brands that have broader adjustability;
3. Exhaust - I have the Fabspeeds (though I repeatedly hear that AWE and Borla getting the most votes);
4. Intake - EVOMS. It changes the sound, does add observable power in the upper RPM band, and is reasonably priced for the return you get.
For me, this is the must-have list from a performance perspective.

Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Congrats on the new car. The must have upgrades in my opinion are:

1. Exhaust (Tubi for the 997.2 sounds AMAZING)
2. ECU upgrade (go with EVOMSit and free up some more power)
3. Lowering springs (H&R) is a good choice
4. Short shift kit (We run the EVOMS kit on our shop car and love it)

Feel free to let me know if you need any help sourcing out any of the parts you're looking for. Happy to help.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pdto

Well not sure about "must haves" but depending upon the usage there's a few here
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-ca...rt-type-i.html

Old 07-06-2009, 01:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The stock options are (no order of importance)
1) PASM sport suspension
2) Sport Chrono . Recommended with manual too.
3) Sports Adpaptive seats . Full leather
4) Bose
5) Sport shifter . Aluminum gear shift/brake handle
6) Clear sides (free on delivery)
7) Stitching on seats and gear shift ( if deviating stay away from light colors --they get dirty) .
8) Either painted . leather, or carbon center console .
9) PCM upgrades -ipod . etc... Nav is apersonal choice -I would skip it.

Skip the Turbo wheels . Just get Carrera Classic and upgrade later on .
Same with exhaust and suspension , interior bits .. all can be found in aftermarket .

Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Drivers Education! These cars are unique in there setup and handle a lot different then your BMW. Join your local PCA and take a few classes. Once you get a feel for the car, you will know what you like and don't like. This will tell you what you want to change (as well as listening to the advice of the fine people here at 6speed).

Congrats on the new car!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Or if you feel adventurous, book a trip to Barber Motorsports...you'll really learn to enjoy your car!

http://www.porschedriving.com/Sports-Driving.aspx

Old 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Each dealer has given me a set of clear sides - they are $29 a set at Suncoast if you buy after (no eBay).

Honestly, there are no "must have" items on a $90k or more Porsche. I've tried short shifters, don't like them very much. Stock is already pretty short. The car is coming with wheels, right? Use them and their tires up, then decide if you must have a different set. Front plate frame? Don't know anyone that has a front plate on their Porsche, so can't offer any advice on the frame.

Have the dealer re-align after the car settles in. They are all notorious for coming off the boat with a messed up alignment (both of my new 997s were way off). No charge from dealer.

Best thing you can possibly do is join PCA and do some DE events to learn how to drive the car as it was designed. Seat time! Then you'll know if you really want to change anything about the new car (as you said, this is your first Porsche, so you'll need some time before figuring out if anything needs to be changed).

One really nice upgrade is the Sharkwerks Primary muffler bypass. Deeper tone, slightly louder (but civil), no drone, enhanced performance, easy to install.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Looks like you have done your homework along with all great suggestion above mentioned. Congrats and enjoy her in good health.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
The clear side markers are a must

If you want to keep the warranty, I would say get the OEM Short Shifter, Sport Chrono, PDK (if you like automatic, it's a personal choice and I respect it)... These are for performance.

I agree with Larry about the Painted-Leather-CF center console. Try to get some kind of Sport Seats, since the regular seats do not give you any support in the turns...

For handling go with some coilovers or some springs

For the wheels I suggest you keep the OEM Carrera2 wheels and get them painted depending on your cars color...

Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The stock options are (no order of importance)
8) Either painted . leather, or carbon center console .
yrralis1,
On a black car (since you have one) what would you do with the center console? I'm not sure what direction one would go for the best effect.

I think the painted consoles are best with red car with red console, yellow on yellow, etc. Black?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CMOS
yrralis1,
On a black car (since you have one) what would you do with the center console? I'm not sure what direction one would go for the best effect.

I think the painted consoles are best with red car with red console, yellow on yellow, etc. Black?
I suggest CF Adds a nice touch, it still is black. Or Gloss/Piano Black might look nice. What's the color of your interior?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
CMOS --
I will post two black interiors . One is mine and the other is from another forum member . Regarding his notice that the PCM unit is black . If yoirs is aluminum I would not go for carbon fiber .

First here's mine --Painted to door handle --

Here is one that I really liked from another member --

Attached Images