997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The GMG WC Roll Bar Review - Pics and Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Thumbs up The GMG WC Roll Bar Review - Pics and Video

Here's another instance of trying to write a review about something you hope never has to be used for it's intended purpose!

Since I've been running more events and the tracks have been getting quicker and bigger I thought it was time to protect myself from the dreaded roll over! Anyone can roll over at any time and the more and more you hit the track you really should invest in a good, solid, well constructed roll bar. For one it helps with the stiffness of the car second it gets you ready for the next item in your safety program the 6 point harness! And more than anything you just feel a whole lot safer and confident riding on track.

The thing I like about this GMG World Challenge roll bar is that it's built overly solid but gives you the ability to moves your seat back all the way for taller drivers.

Here is some pics and video of the install. I would highly recommend this as the second part in your safety program. The first being a good helmet!

Here is some info straight from GMG on this roll bar...

An evolution of the factory Tequipment bar, the World Challenge bar is made of 4130 Chrome-Moly Tubing that has been tig welded and normalized for superior strength and rigidity. A common problem of the factory T equipment bar is that it requires the use of 1-piece fixed back GT3 style seats for proper leg room. If you are 5’10” and taller moving the seat back far enough is a challenge with factory bar. The GMG World Challenge Harness/Roll Bar offers these key features.

- Made of Chrome-Moly Tubing that has been carefully tig welded and normalized
- Designed to work standard reclining seats or GT3 fixed back seats offering drivers the ability to move the seat all the way back (Not possible with the factory Tequipment Rollbar)
- Designed to work with clip in kit for harness (no need to drill holes in your floor to mount the harness anchors)
- Additional cross-brace and lugs for increased rigidity and strength
- Comes complete with all hardware to install. Mounts like the factory bar –(directly to seat belt anchors, no cutting required of car)
- Available in Standard Satin Black finish or Bavarian Silver powder coat (optional color matching to your car available)
- Installation at our facility is available and recommended.
- Shipping available (oversized)

Fitment: All 997 coupes including GT3, GT3RS and 997TT
(Please specify with or without sunroof)

I lurked around while they installed it and whoa it's not easy!

Here it is just waiting for a good home!

The seats need to come out for the install (not easy)

Installing all the mounting points

The car and the bar meet for the first time...how nice!

Getting it in is well...a *****!

All in and looking good!

All in and feeling safer already!

Here is some video of the install!
[VV]2889271[/VV]

[VV]2889460[/VV]

[VV]2889699[/VV]

Old 07-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gomez
Here's another instance of trying to write a review about something you hope never has to be used for it's intended purpose!

Since I've been running more events and the tracks have been getting quicker and bigger I thought it was time to protect myself from the dreaded roll over! Anyone can roll over at any time and the more and more you hit the track you really should invest in a good, solid, well constructed roll bar. For one it helps with the stiffness of the car second it gets you ready for the next item in your safety program the 6 point harness! And more than anything you just feel a whole lot safer and confident riding on track.

The thing I like about this GMG World Challenge roll bar is that it's built overly solid but gives you the ability to moves your seat back all the way for taller drivers.

Here is some pics and video of the install. I would highly recommend this as the second part in your safety program. The first being a good helmet!

Here is some info straight from GMG on this roll bar...

An evolution of the factory Tequipment bar, the World Challenge bar is made of 4130 Chrome-Moly Tubing that has been tig welded and normalized for superior strength and rigidity. A common problem of the factory T equipment bar is that it requires the use of 1-piece fixed back GT3 style seats for proper leg room. If you are 5’10” and taller moving the seat back far enough is a challenge with factory bar. The GMG World Challenge Harness/Roll Bar offers these key features.

- Made of Chrome-Moly Tubing that has been carefully tig welded and normalized
- Designed to work standard reclining seats or GT3 fixed back seats offering drivers the ability to move the seat all the way back (Not possible with the factory Tequipment Rollbar)
- Designed to work with clip in kit for harness (no need to drill holes in your floor to mount the harness anchors)
- Additional cross-brace and lugs for increased rigidity and strength
- Comes complete with all hardware to install. Mounts like the factory bar –(directly to seat belt anchors, no cutting required of car)
- Available in Standard Satin Black finish or Bavarian Silver powder coat (optional color matching to your car available)
- Installation at our facility is available and recommended.
- Shipping available (oversized)

Fitment: All 997 coupes including GT3, GT3RS and 997TT
(Please specify with or without sunroof)

I lurked around while they installed it and whoa it's not easy!

Here it is just waiting for a good home!

The seats need to come out for the install (not easy)

Installing all the mounting points

The car and the bar meet for the first time...how nice!

Getting it in is well...a *****!

All in and looking good!

All in and feeling safer already!

Here is some video of the install!
[VV]2889271[/VV]

[VV]2889460[/VV]

[VV]2889699[/VV]
Looks nice...I take it you can't use the back seats anymore

Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
nope. back seats are history. My son was a bit bummed out but he can ride in the front from time to time.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gomez
nope. back seats are history. My son was a bit bummed out but he can ride in the front from time to time.

I would love to do the roll bar. I have 2 boys 4 and 7..need the back seats.

Dave

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Looks nice...I take it you can't use the back seats anymore
These cars have back seats?

I thought that they were useless, so I took them out before the idea of a role bar ever came around.

When I take the kids out, we take the Touareg...no drinks or food spilled in my Porsche

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
im glad that you put some interior back into the car - it was looking way too stripped out for a car that is not a pure track car

Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
^^ I believe this was his roll bar prior to the full stripping. The date on this thread is over a year old. I was about to ask why he took off his wrap before I checked the date lol.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Here is what the car has become... It's as "Pure" as I can afford I guess

At Laguna Seca (me driving)

At Long Beach Grand Prix (Not me driving that Parade Lap)

Cage build process pics (Custom Cup Car cage built by GMG)

Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 PM
tiny is infamous around these parts
Having gone 'all the way', would you still suggest the GMG Challenge bar for the occasional track day vs. the RSR bar?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by tiny
Having gone 'all the way', would you still suggest the GMG Challenge bar for the occasional track day vs. the RSR bar?
Yes. It's better than nothing and it's the right thing to do. The RSR roll bar is even better. What's your life worth? Sounds harsh but I would never EVER go on track without some kind of roll over protection.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 AM
tiny is infamous around these parts
Thanks and totally agree. Just cannot decide between the two bars, think they both are better options than factory 'roll over bar'. Is the RSR bar that much more difficult (and costly) to install? Were you happy with the Challenge bar while you had it?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by tiny
Thanks and totally agree. Just cannot decide between the two bars, think they both are better options than factory 'roll over bar'. Is the RSR bar that much more difficult (and costly) to install? Were you happy with the Challenge bar while you had it?
I was happy with that bar for sure. Not sure if it's easier to install. I'd say go for it

Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Not4off is infamous around these parts
GMG World Challenge Roll Bar

Gomez...

Thanks for the review and the great install pictures. I have purchased this roll bar for my 2009 C2S. The seller thought that the 997 GT3 from which it came had a sunroof, in which case it should fit my car. However, I'd hate to get the seats out, the bar in, only to find out it won't quite fit because it was intended for a 997 without a sun roof. Do you know if there is a way to tell from the production date (4-12-2010) or the serial #300 if what I have will fit my car. Or could you provide me with the vertical measurement of the pictured roll bar?

The part # is GMG WC-GT. Also...How did you anchor the sub straps?
With a Brey Krause sub bar? Any info would be helpful. I have talked to the folks at Global Motorsports Group but they haven't been able to answer my question yet. Thanks...

...Richard

Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Not4off is infamous around these parts
GMG World Challenge Roll Bar (997, 997 GT3)

Gomez...

Never mind my previous question regarding the fitment of the GMG World Challenge Roll Bar as far as the car having a sunroof or not. Although GMGs website instructs buyers to specify with/without sunroof in their orders, the company builds only the one size bar, and told me that specification needs to be removed from the website. Also talked to an installer who said he couldn't remember needing to specify whether the car had a sunroof or not. Spoke to a 997 GT3 owner today at the track who was very happy with his World Challenge Roll Bar...and no "creaking."

...Richard

Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Great to hear it worked out! Sorry I didn't have an answer for you in time. But I had did have a feeling that it would work out for you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The GMG WC Roll Bar Review - Pics and Video