997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 C2S vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
997 C2S vs. Cayman S

I am considering a used 2005-2007 997C2S or 2006-2007 Cayman S. How do they compare in terms of driving experience? Input from anyone who has owned both greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I own a 997C2S and rented a Cayman S in Germany last year (including a trip to the Ring), and with out a doubt I would buy the Carrera again. The Carrera gets my pulse going every time I drive it, where as the Cayman was fun, it lacked the grunt and I would find it boring very quickly.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Thumbs up

The new Cayman S (DFI, 3.6L) makes about as much power as a pre-lift 997.

I've driven both, and I think the updated Cayman S is definitely a track monster. Remember it's mid-engined, pretty optimal when it comes to placement, and better balanced than my 997S. I've seen guys on track days keep up with much more powerful (and expensive) cars in their Cayman S.

The 997 is the more iconic sports car though. If you can live with the stigma of not driving the icon, then I'd say a Cayman S is an excellent choice.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:32 PM
movingup is infamous around these parts
he said 2006-2007 cayman S. not 2009

Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
I had an occasion to drive Han's (from RUF autocentre) tweaked Cayman S and it blew my mind. I believe it had a GMG setup with exhaust, ECU and suspension. I actually enjoyed driving it more than my 997. That said, my 997 doesn't have all the aftermarket goodies Hans Cayman had, but i couldn't believe what a great car it was!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
997Artdude is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dcentric
I had an occasion to drive Han's (from RUF autocentre) tweaked Cayman S and it blew my mind. I believe it had a GMG setup with exhaust, ECU and suspension. I actually enjoyed driving it more than my 997. That said, my 997 doesn't have all the aftermarket goodies Hans Cayman had, but i couldn't believe what a great car it was!
I think it's a stigma that keeps a lot of people from a Cayman S, at least in comparison to a 997.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NewSong
The new Cayman S (DFI, 3.6L) makes about as much power as a pre-lift 997.

I've driven both, and I think the updated Cayman S is definitely a track monster. Remember it's mid-engined, pretty optimal when it comes to placement, and better balanced than my 997S. I've seen guys on track days keep up with much more powerful (and expensive) cars in their Cayman S.
+1 on the handling of Caymans... But he is looking for a pre-lift Cayman. So my vote is for the Carrera; more power = more fun!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Evo did a comparo a couple of years ago between a non-S 997 and a Boxster S. No, not quite the question you're asking but maybe of interest nonetheless. It's in the porsche roadtest compilation book that they released recently but I also found a scanned copy on the web at http://coochas.com/porsche/Indiv911A...sboxsters.html

Regs

Old 07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Also take your size into consideration. I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs, and find the cayman too small to be comfortable in for more than a brief drive.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:29 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
I just went through the same debate you (PorscheUSA) are going through and picked the C2S. I took both for many drives. The Cayman S is fun to drive and does handle well. The C2S has way more "grunt" as someone put it and it shows up in the driving experience. Especially on the road. I will take mine on the track occasionally, but it will be mostly a road car. That drove my decision. The iconic look is hard to pass up and frankly so are the two small seats in the back. My 10 year old fits back there, so he can enjoy the Porsche too.

You'll be happy either way, but if you get the C2S you won't look back. You might with the Cayman even though it is a beautiful, fun car.

At least you have what someone once told me was a "high class problem." You're lucky to have to make such a choice. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 PM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
Here is a Motor Trend article that is somewhat related. The 911 being compared to the Cayman is not an S.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...911_specs.html
The link is to page 13 showing the specs of both vehicles.

Last edited by ROD; 07-15-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Tough choice . I sure do like a highly optioned Cayman S . It's one of the few Porsches that I like wthh the PDK, lsd, and even loooks great in an off beat color. This mexico blue car is my favorite Cayman .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJpoH3ayzW4

Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Nexus-6 is infamous around these parts
While not a Cayman, I own a 2007 Boxster S (with the "good" engine) which is nearly directly comparable to the Cayman of that year. I also own a 2005 Carrera S.

I like them both for different reasons. The Carrera S is my daily driver, while the Boxster S is the weekend + date toy for my wife and I.

That said, if for some reason I had to choose to sell one and keep the other, I'd put the 997 up for sale without hesitation. I'm a mid-engine sort of guy anyhow but I find the 987, especially in S guise with a few goodies (namely exhaust, software + plenum) to be absolutely sublime. I adore the car, top up or down...which leads me to believe that I'd enjoy a Cayman S just as much.

There are practical advantages as well, I suppose - two trunks vs 1 (though you can argue that the 911 rear deck is storage, I never put anything back there or in the rear seats). Lighter weight (marginally, but it feels more significant to me than the numbers would suggest).

Regarding handling - you don't really have to re-train yourself much on the 987 platform while the 911 does require a slightly modified approach. I brake a lot more in the 911 - I often find not even needing to brush the brakes in the Boxster by comparison in the same corners - it's so easy to thread through twisties that it really does live up to the "telepathic steering/handling" hype.

Both great machines, which is why I find I like having one of each. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Nexus-6; 07-15-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
I went through the EXACT same debate. Finally decided on a C2S cab. Drive both. There is no comparison. I finally reached the conclusion I would be "settling" for the Cayman.

The things I didn't like about the Cayman:
- Driver's seat does not go/tilt back far enough. Firewall is in the way.
- Had to duck down to see clearly out the side windows. (I'm only 6 feet tall!)
- Too much engine noise. Don't get me wrong, I like engine/exhaust noise, but in the Cayman, it is RIGHT behind you. You don't even get a break from it when you are just crusing.

Drive both! For me it only took 1 miles in a base carrera coupe after driving the Cayman S to know that the Cayman was not for me.

Of couse then I bought a C2S Cab...

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
I was lured into the Porsche showroom when I first saw the beautiful Cayman. One month after the Cayman test drive I decided to test drive a used pp 997. I came away with a 997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S vs. Cayman S