997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheels+tires combo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I actually did a bit of research and it seems that those wheels I liked -

O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT

are not forged first of all and may not be even safe to use as they may not meet the specification. Here is M5 related discussion it is discussed in more details.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...lt-wheels.html

I assume it has same relevance for 997 then?
They are not forged but they are pretty darn light for being a cast wheel. Not sure of your budget but if you're looking for forged, lots and lots of choices to pick from. I love my HRE P40's (P43's would look great on your car). Based on your previous posts when you were looking for your car, I assumed budget was of some consideration and that's why I pointed out the O.Z.'s. Wasn't sure you were ready to spend $5k on a set of HRE's. Not sure of any forged wheels that have any decent reputation that is going to cost you anywhere close to what the O.Z.'s cost.

In terms of their safety, Gomez has been running's his for awhile and don't think he's had any issues.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ack-black.html

I'm sure Damon at Tirerack could chime in here as well to confirm what a great wheel they seem to be (O.Z. has a great reputation). 7 pages worth of info here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...0-997-gt3.html

Last edited by JoeShark; 07-17-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:27 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Your stock Porshe wheels are not forged either. OZ makes some nice cast wheels.

I actually did a bit of research and it seems that those wheels I liked -

O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT

are not forged first of all and may not be even safe to use as they may not meet the specification. Here is M5 related discussion it is discussed in more details.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...lt-wheels.html

I assume it has same relevance for 997 then?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
The cast wheels will not be as strong as the forged ones on bad roads, but they will be fine and easy to repair if you do bend them. I read the M5 forum thread - pretty funny. What do they think will happen to the wheels? They will break in half? OZ's have been around for a while and make a quality reasonable wheel. Heck, if you want to have some fun, buy some HRE's. They are forged - only in the centers. The rims are cast and soft as butter. Anybody that owns them, bends them that I've ever read about. Most people sell them after they have the repolished and repaired. BBS makes some great wheels (not sure about the P car fitment), the RGR and RSGT both have forged rims so they are bullet proof on the road.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
No one has mentioned CCW. Light forged wheels at reasonable prices.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ng997

I like CCW wheels...great deal for the money. Just haven't fallen in love with their designs for the 997.

Dave

Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Utkin -

I have stayed out of this because of your desire to see what else is out there but us. It seems though you still have unanswered questions on brand, quality, and sizing. Please give me a call. 10 minutes wit you and I can have it all cleared up.

Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-18-2009, 10:09 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
If I ever switch from my RS171s Im going with CCW for sure. Great quality product, great price, plenty of finishes, and I like the traditional motorsport design.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
That is what I use for my track wheels. CCW also makes some nice street wheels too...or just use there Corsair wheels for the street.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Utkin -

I have stayed out of this because of your desire to see what else is out there but us. It seems though you still have unanswered questions on brand, quality, and sizing. Please give me a call. 10 minutes wit you and I can have it all cleared up.

Thanks.
I actually emailed you 7/16 but you decided not to reply me. there is no need to continue it now, i am all set already.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
I actually emailed you 7/16 but you decided not to reply me. there is no need to continue it now, i am all set already.
What did you wind up getting?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Dealership gave me several options to consider. I figured I better stay on Porsche native brand rims rather than going cheap aftermarket. It`s a part of the whole image after all. That`s a best part of buying car way lower than original budget was set for - I have around of $10K now to spend on stuff I like and having 2 sets of rims is a pretty convenient thing.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
So as I caused domestic disturbance with grave threat to forfeit my credit card privileges while presenting my idea to buy BBS rims I really liked I had to resort to humble www.wheelsrims.net for that:

Item # 1:
--------------------------------
Product name : 19" x 8" Alloy Wheel
Part num : ALY67325U20
Price : $265.04
Qty : 2
Vehicle : Porsche 911 2006

Item # 2:
--------------------------------
Product name : 19" x 11" Alloy Wheel
Part num : ALY67326U20
Price : $265.04
Qty : 2
Vehicle : Porsche 911 2006

Price is nice, product is probably questionable but some people left positive reviews for them here and there, so, will let know how bad will new set of MPS2 perform on those rims.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I'm betting you ended up with cheap knock-offs, but it sounds like you know that from your calling them questionable. There are reasons why they are half price. I wouldn't trust my $100k car and my life to untested wheels.

If you are looking for Porsche OEM, there's always a set of 997 wheels with tires at the classifieds, on eBay, forums, etc. I'd say typically an as-new set with PS2 tires runs in the $1500 to $2000 range. I got a new set (50 miles) of wheels and PS2 tires from a guy who went aftermarket for $1500.

OZ has great wheels and is extremely well respected. $1500 for a set of their new wheels at Tire Rack in 18". I ran OZs on one of my cars on the street and track for years. I run Volks on my current track car - extremely strong, light, and reasonable (and they do come in silver or gunmetal).

I have to ask - if this is a street car, why do you feel you need to have 2 sets of wheels and tires?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
I'm betting you ended up with cheap knock-offs, but it sounds like you know that from your calling them questionable. There are reasons why they are half price. I wouldn't trust my $100k car and my life to untested wheels.
Surprisingly enough they were recommended by couple of people I know.
I also do not believe into things which are too good to be true. Do you have any references pointing at that seller? I googled it and found couple of people saying they received wheels with legit Porsche numbers on them. Go figure.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Smaj is infamous around these parts
From the vendors site - http://shop.wheelsrims.net/quality.html

"It's inventory of remanufactured OE wheels, rims, hubcaps and wheel covers at 50% off dealer price. "

So they may in fact be OEM wheels, but they are likely not "new".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheels+tires combo