997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

To DIY people here - options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
have you ever had any legal issues with radar shifter? I am not sure it is worth doing, may cost pretty penny if cops will undig it.

I like the concept overall, but not so sure about active suppressor part of this design.
I have the SR7, and it doesn't block the laser, it only sends back a signal that they missed the target. When they try again, you can shut it off by hitting two buttons at the same time, and it will come back with the speed.

Radar detectors are not illegal where I live, and I have yet to get a speeding ticket in my Porsche! (knock on wood)

Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
There is a complete factory navigation kit available, if you want Bluetooth, iPod, or Auxillary input, there are aftermarket modules which are compatible with the PCM unit. Not sure about Sport Chrono, that may take an engineer to install that, and to figure out the correct wiring. The same is true with the factory parking distance sensors, I doubt it could be fitted.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have the SR7, and it doesn't block the laser, it only sends back a signal that they missed the target. When they try again, you can shut it off by hitting two buttons at the same time, and it will come back with the speed.
)
Do you have a picture by a chance how does it look like installed? Where did you put display module?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by suncoastric
if you want Bluetooth, iPod, or Auxillary input, there are aftermarket modules which are compatible with the PCM unit.
I found this so far:
http://www.whipnotic.com/i-want-that...r-porsche.html

is there more?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Do you have a picture by a chance how does it look like installed? Where did you put display module?
I don't have a photo, but I have my display installed right below my PCM unit in the small opening.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by AP 997S
eBay usually has Porsche PCM & DVD hardware and NAV discs up for auction. You'll need the required harnesses, antenna, fiber optic connections, etc. to install the new PCM and NAV. It's certainly a doable job if you're a competent DIY guy.
A question - do I need to replace PCM master unit to install navigation or does any PCM master unit already have all required hookups for navigation DVD and GPS sensor?

I asked dealer tech but he did not answer me today.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
A question - do I need to replace PCM master unit to install navigation or does any PCM master unit already have all required hookups for navigation DVD and GPS sensor?

I asked dealer tech but he did not answer me today.
Stay away from that tech. Any good Porsche tech should have known the answer.

The PCM is standard w/ or w/o NAV. I believe there are some inputs on the PCM for the antenna and possibly the DVD unit if it doesn't just become another client on the MOST (fiber optic) ring.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by AP 997S
Stay away from that tech. Any good Porsche tech should have known the answer.

The PCM is standard w/ or w/o NAV. I believe there are some inputs on the PCM for the antenna and possibly the DVD unit if it doesn't just become another client on the MOST (fiber optic) ring.
thanks, i generally wanted just to confirm if all parts I will need are DVD and GPS sensor and not new master PCM unit. there are 2 more local shops near to me so I`ll just need to get more info on inter-version compatibility between PCMs and other parts of GPS navigation system. should not be a rocket science i guess.