997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car and Driver: C6 vs. 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 03:21 AM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
I actually did include the road course time in my comparison. What I find funny is that you make such a big deal about .6 sec. on a 100 sec. course, yet the 911 TT is about .6 sec faster in the 1/4 mi. time, yet you state that the C6 is as fast as the 911 TT. Which is it ? Is it negligible like you say the 1/4 mi. difference is between the cars or is it significant as to when you point out the difference on the road course ? Personally I think a .6 sec. difference in the 1/4 mi. is far more substantial than .6 sec. on a 100 sec. road course, yet you continue to cling to your belief that the Vette is as fast as the 911 TT. I think you are trying to look through your rose colored glasses, pulling stats that only favor the Corvette. Did you notice that the Carrera S out braked, & outhandles the Vette in the comparison ? And pretty much every tests subjective (read : which car the writers preferred) is pretty much won by the Porsche. It's funny I noticed in your signature that you own an S2000. Why would you want to own that Piece of crap ? The Nissan 350 Z is faster, or hell a Dodge SRT-4 will pretty much be just as fast for $10K less. The Evo & STI would stomp on you on a road course for the same amount of money. That is how you think of things right ? Strictly performance #'s for the $, right ?

Old 12-11-2004, 11:15 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Come on people, we all can't be endowed enough to own a Porsche. The others have to have a car to drive...and therefore the Vette was built.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:45 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
You obviously either cannot read or simply cannot accept some of the things I have stated. I originally posted that I thought the new C6 was as quick as the Turbo (based on the fact that I had seen posted 0-60 times of 4.2 for the Turbo). I never emphatically stated that, nor have I tried to make an ongoing case of it, if you go back I reiterateed that the C6 is "nearly" as quick as a Turbo and that is in fact true. In regards to the tests vs. the 997, I clearly stated that the lap times were most important to me, and though the 997 out accelerated, out braked, out pimped the Corvette, it lost at the track. I believe I have been consistent in my posts and a .6 gap per lap on a 2:00/lap track is insurmountable. But again maybe you are that one roque P-car owner who loves to drag and could careless that the foundation of Porsche's racing heritage is on road courses.

As far as owning an S2000, it is the funnest car I've owned which includes three Porsches a Vette, BMW's, Mercedes etc... As is most often the case you are probably just a bench racer and couldn't even exploit one of these cars if you were given the opportunity. Meanwhile, I was at the track last night. The S2000 is a fabulous car but I suspect that without the proper crest on the hood it is irrelevant to you? The reality is, Honda is running Formula One and they are competitive finishing 2nd in the constructors cup, their engines dominate in IRL and Honda races more motorsports than Porsche could ever dream to. Meanwhile, Porsche is cranking out SUV's while they are notably absent from ALL major motorsports series which may explain why they can't outhustle a Corvette around a track.

Apparently for you it is about the money, I could care less, I just want to have fun and I prefer that it be delivered with some value. My wife drives an 80K car and my personal rides are in excess of 100K, so its not that I can't get one, I simply chose another route. As you may or may not know, driving expensive cars can have its drawbacks.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:55 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
This one may actually be as fast. But for 60K I'm not going to hold their feet ot the fire. Just keep in mind that if you want to see one up close from your Porsche, you better be driving a Turbo or hope that light turns red.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:46 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
With the time spent arguing about this, you guys could've earned enough to buy the C6 and taken it to the track for a showdown with your 997S.

I've driven, owned and raced several NA and turbo'd cars, including Porsche and Corvette (C5), and I really enjoy all of them in one way or another. Each is different, just like fine food at a top restaurant. The engineers are like fine chefs to me. Each one has his own style, signature flavors, and I enjoy sampling them all. Some sportscars are moderately priced, some are higher priced. Each time I take one on track, I relish the experience of playing with someone's creation, after they've spent quite a long time preparing it for me to enjoy. The Corvette has its place in auto design history and motorsport, as does the Porsche (many Porsche's). After having owned both, I'd say I still would like to own both and try each new version as time goes on. It's just really enjoyable as a driver to have that opportunity. Do they handle differently, and have performance differences, sure. Are they each suffering from some achilles heel in terms of styling, minor interior issues, or social stigma, yes, there are always subjective reactions supporting one over another. But they are sportscars, designed to be enjoyed by driving enthusiasts, and we're lucky to have the opportunity to partake. I suspect if you all met at the track, shared and drove each other's Porsche's and Corvette's, you'd forget about arguing about statistics, and just have a great time. You'd see some impressive performance from both cars. Then the only argument would hopefully be, who's buying the first round before dinner.

Enjoy your sportscar driving guys, it's a true gift. Have healthy and happy holidays.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:43 PM
I've taken my cars on the track several times thank you.

Now all of a sudden you are backpeddling. Let's look at your statements :

"current C6 is as quick as an 05' Turbo" - 05997S

Now you start interjecting the word "nearly" in your post. If you are only looking at 0-60 times then the Carrera S is as fast, if not faster than C6. In all the tests it has either posted as fast, if not faster 0-60 times. I show that the 1/4 mile times of the 05' 911 TT is substantially faster in the 1/4 mi. times and you blow them off as insubstantial, yet you state that the 997 S is outperformed by the C6. The tests show that the Corvette past 80 is going to start outdistancing the 997 S, but those same tests also show that the 911 TT is much quiker than the C6 after 80 mph. Your notion of the C6 being as quick as the 911 TT is as wrong as somebody making the assumption that the 997 S is as quick as the C6 (at speed). The notion that fast is 0-60, especially from this small test is foolish. If you are expecting a 1 sec. advantage these days that can't happen. Simple law of diminishing returns. The Vette can do low 4 sec. 0-60 times. Even the most exotic cars in the mid to high 3's. Very few cars will give you the advantage that you think a $150K car should. Not enough traction, or hp to do this. I'll give you the .6 sec. on the track, but I would say that is even more insubstantial than the .6 sec. + in the 1/4 mi. that the 911 TT has on C6.

"spend so much money on a Porsche for a very small margin of performance." - 05997S
"but for straight up performance there are much better deals to be had." - 05997S

It seems the only person harping about money & $ for performance is you. That is why I brought up your S2000. In the same way the S2000's performance #'s can be matched by a SRT4, or surpassed by a comparably priced EVO or STI. For some reason you got your S2000. In that reasoning, maybe that is a similar reason that people get a Porsche instead of a Corvette. The SRT-4 can match the S2000 in almost all performance categories, like the Vette can with the 911, but after you get off the track there is different things that you looked at beyond the pure performance #'s.

"as far as owning the S2000, it is the funnest car I've owned" -05997S

So you discount the fact that in every test the writers all gave the nod to Porsche (and some by quite a bit) on subjective feel/fun to drive, yet when you are rationalizing your own car ownership then it applies to something different than just pure performance #'s.

All I'm asking is that you be consistent. If it is about money & performance #'s than why aren't you driving an SRT4 (instead of your S2000 ? If it is about more than just money, such as tactile feel, fun at the track, quality, etc. then why aren't you putting that into your equation when you berate Porsches ? In ratio a $20K SRT4 is 2/3 the price of a $30K S2000. The CorVette is approximately 2/3 (maybe a little less) than the Porsche.

Old 12-11-2004, 04:34 PM
SD1
My first mention of the Turbo V. Vette, you have yet to post on the thread.

"They are not dreaming. Take into consideration that their standard car(Corvette) is now nearly as quick as the Turbo. Another 100hp and the car could be in the high 3's. Porsche will have to step up. I think thats great. I know that there are a fair amount of people who do cross shop the Vette and the 911, I did.

My 2nd mention.

"I do believe the current C6 is as quick as an 05' Turbo unless you care to prove otherwise.

You still haven't posted yet. Now here is your second post where you make the assinine remark that I made a false statement, I am only sharing what I have seen posted in mags in the past and I clearly leave room for correction, you are the only one making false statements

Fanman says: " First you make a false statement that the C6 is as fast as the 911 Turbo model"

Here is you essentially agree with me that the Porsche is a bit expensive. But of course when I say it its an outrage or some excuse to make the Vette look better.

Fanman says: "I agree with you that Porsche is a bit overpriced"

Here is another inaccuracy, as the Corvette has posted a 4.1 in another mag. Its actually .2 slower than the fastest time the non X50 Turbo posted.

Fanman says: "the FASTEST time for the C6 is still a substantial .4 sec. (slower)"

Now you get personal, I don't know, do you think this adds to your already impressive character?

Fanman says: "I noticed in your signature that you own an S2000. Why would you want to own that Piece of crap ?"

I think at this point we can clearly see it is you who is in need of some backpedaling. I don't mind a friendly exchange of ideas and opinions, but you are clearly showing a lack of respect not to mention a grasp of the facts.

Last edited by SD1; 12-11-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Fine, then consider yourself corrected. I think the #'s have proven that the 911 TT is the faster car, even per your requisites of a fast car ? of only the 0-60 times. I have pointed out that the 1/4 MILES TIMES of the 911 TT is a SUBSTANTIAL .6-.7 sec. faster than the C6. You point to a .6 sec. advantage that the Vetee has on the road course (that I had posted) as substantial (do you realize that in the article the writers even listed that as a wash), yet blow off the .7 sec advantage in the 1/4 mi. *Do you realize that is about 7-8 car lengths ?). Where you get the .4 sec. is the post I listed where in Corvette Monthly the 911 TT X50 was .4 sec. faster than the Corvette Z06, that is again faster than the C6. I don't think you are lying, I just think you were mistaken. You ask that if somebody can prove otherwise go ahead, I did. The 911 TT (not to mention the Turbo S) is a substantially faster car.

I do think the Porsche is overpriced, and I don't like the way they delineate non-S & S models, I have always said that, always agreed with that, but I don't think that a Corvette is a superior car, and I don't make statements like the C6 is as quick as the 911 TT.

You made a statement of it being nearly as fast, then in YOUR second statement you said it was AS fast (not nearly, but as fast). Somebody proved otherwise, now you are trying to fight a losing battle. Have the guts to admit that your statement might have been off, even if it was your 2nd statement.

The reason why I brought your car up was to be facetious and use it as an example. Why do you disparge the Porsche 911 saying the Vette is a better car, that the Porsche leaves something to be desired, etc yet here you have a car that for substantially less money you can get the same if not better performance ? You stated that you have more fun in the car, that it is a "better" car to drive, yet you can not afford Porsche the same benefit of the doubt despite the fact that EVERY writer that has tested these 2 cars have essentially said that from a subjective point of view the Porsche is the better car at any price. The reasons that you use on why the Corvette is a better car, is the same reasons SRT-4, EVO, STI, Mustang owners will use to talk down about your current car, yet you use thesame reasons to knock the 911. All I want you to be is consistent.

Do I think :

Porsches are expensive, if not outright a bit overpriced - Yes

Porsche should have offered us the Carrera S as the standard Carrera - Yes

Corvettes are faster on the top end - Yes

Porsches have better balance - Yes

Corvettes are as fast as the 911 TT - No

Porsches have better feel, and are better than Corvettes, even at $30K more - Yes

II have been consistent with my point of view, I've presented facts (some good, some bad for Porsche), but you continue to use only points that favor the Corvette. If you can see the whole picture and be less bias instead of arguing with everybody on this board, you might find time to actually give props to the 911.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 PM
bpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the rough
In Motor Trends comparison of the C6 and 997S, the final two sentences say: "The 911 Carrera S is simply the better sports car. At any price." The Porsche weighs more, has 105 ft/lbs less torque, 45 less hp than the vette and still outperforms it 0-60, 60-0, 600 ft slalom, 200 ft skidpad and equal time in 1/4 mile. Talk about agile and quick!!

Old 12-11-2004, 08:53 PM
SD1
Again, had you read the entire thread I said multiple times that I like Porsches and specifically the 997 and that I'd be proud to own one had I chosen to buy one. I never said I thought the Corvette was better and I have not "argued" that it was as fast as a Turbo. I did point out that an amatuer driver in a C6 could probably win a few times out of ten against a Turbo and I still believe that, and I could be wrong but I have beaten what I thought were obviously faster cars at track events before so...

I have been consistent and I took the time to reread my posts just to ensure I wasn't mouthing off to you after I had contradicted myself. About my S2000, you weren't being facetious, you were being an *******. You quote me as saying the S2000 is a "better" car to own, I never posted that. You have continued to insert your imagination into what I post and that is not helping you. Go back and reread the entire thread, I haven't bashed Porsche only the usual its overpriced and that for the level of performance you get and especially the reliability and build quality particularly the 996TT isn't much better than a Vette if at all.

BTW This is my last post on this thread

Old 12-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Thank god you are ending this thread with an idiotic post, like your other posts. You are no different than the SRT4 owners on the S2000 that give a back handed compliment then proceed to trash the car, and make dumb comments. In thread terms, you are being a "troll." It's not me that has gotten into arguments with the other posters on this board, it is you. Read the other posters disagreeing with your statements. You came to a Porsche board laid a few debatable compliments, then proceeded to make statements that were refuted, and got all hot and bothered when people disagreed with you. When you make comments like you do on a Porsche board expect people to defend their cars, and the reasons they got them. Just like you got defensive about your car ownership, when I brought up the SRT4, you are on a Porsche board. What did you expect ? That people would agree with you on your ideas that a Corvette is = to a 911TT ? Of course an idiot wouldn't think his idiotic statements are out of line. Goodbye, & good riddance.

Last edited by Fanman; 12-12-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
911 flyn is infamous around these parts
Ditto....