997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Blurred license plates in photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 AM
oregondave is infamous around these parts
Blurred license plates in photos

I often see license plates blurred in online postings, tv shows (supercars exposed, etc.). Does anyone know the exact reason for this? Is the concern for reverse lookups on DMV records and people want to keep their address confidential for privacy / security reasons?

The reason I ask is that I have custom license plates coming in a month or two (maybe quicker thanks to the carpocolypse) and I was going to post a pic here on the forum.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Yes that is the reason.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:15 PM
SOLISIMO is infamous around these parts
Yeah pretty much that, thats the reason my tag is registered to a different address

Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I do not understand th reason for the blurred license plates because you drive on the street and people see the plate. What am I missing on this subject?

Last edited by mdrums; 07-19-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM
SOLISIMO is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
I do not understand th reason for the blurred license plates because you drive on the street and pople see the plate. What am I missing on this subject?
haha good point

Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM
genew is infamous around these parts
I do not understand th reason for the blurred license plates because you drive on the street and people see the plate. What am I missing on this subject?
That's what I've always wondered but figured I was missing something!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Exactly. It is visible wherever you drive and park, so why the concern about a photo?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Exactly. It is visible wherever you drive and park, so why the concern about a photo?
Video, I understand...especially if it's incriminating evidence. But as long as the photo doesn't show anything illegal...then no harm, no foul. But if you wanted to go real CSI... "they" might try to find a similar blemish on the photo and video and correlate the two cars as the same. Maybe I'm just watching too much CSI

Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
oregondave is infamous around these parts
Yeah, maybe too much CSI :-)

Just did some googling on this and it's more of a liability thing for TV. They blur plates because it's easier than getting waivers from each driver. The plates connect cars to people and their personal information (which is easily obtainable) so tv producers don't want the liability of some nut stalking a tv star. Yeah, you run the risk of this happening when you drive on the street, but the tv/internet expose you to a much wider audience of nut cases that are trolling for information.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Hey ROCKSTARDOC, long time so see. How are the TUBIs? I love CSI (LV & Miami) also.
As far as plates are concerned, I don't care if my plates are clear in photos or not - I can't blur them on the street - even though I would like to at times!

I may someday get my dream personal license plates - with the correct combo of numbers and letters so that it is very confusing to figure out. Like IlI1I1Il or something - stealthy I think....

Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Food for thought here, manufacturers can easily cross-match your plate with their database and reject your warranty claim for modifications that you discuss here on the board.

The difference here from driving around on the streets is that PCNA is not on the streets taking photos of our cars.

Just ask the Subaru guys why they blank out their plates at autocross events.

All it takes is one post with your plate to match your user name to the plate and all your posts.

PCNA follows these boards on a regular basis.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
v21
v21 is infamous around these parts
There is a lot of talk about speeding (plate + admission in writing = not good), concerns for privacy (it's the internet, possible to locate a car + its driver after seeing online).

I am a bit paranoid. I would blur my plate just there is no reason not to, except maybe the extra-time spent doing it.

Many don't and don't worry.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by summoboy
Hey ROCKSTARDOC, long time so see. How are the TUBIs? I love CSI (LV & Miami) also.
As far as plates are concerned, I don't care if my plates are clear in photos or not - I can't blur them on the street - even though I would like to at times!

I may someday get my dream personal license plates - with the correct combo of numbers and letters so that it is very confusing to figure out. Like IlI1I1Il or something - stealthy I think....
Hey Summoboy,

Looks like you've gotten rid of the supercharged 997S and moved on to bigger and better...ie the TURBO. Congrats. BTW, love the Tubis, but once warranty is done and the car is payed off, I'll likely start the real mods or follow your suit and go with the turbo or GT3.

Gundo,

I didn't think of it your way. "If" I ever do consider DE's, then I'll make sure to blank out my plates on the track. One can never be too paranoid... better safe than sorry.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
blurred license plates

Originally Posted by Gundo
Food for thought here, manufacturers can easily cross-match your plate with their database and reject your warranty claim for modifications that you discuss here on the board.

The difference here from driving around on the streets is that PCNA is not on the streets taking photos of our cars.

Just ask the Subaru guys why they blank out their plates at autocross events.

All it takes is one post with your plate to match your user name to the plate and all your posts.

PCNA follows these boards on a regular basis.

And probably some enforcement also. Has this happened to anyone here? I.E.warranty rejected because of mods and their various posts????

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Yes. Long story short, I was denied a leakdown and compression test based on PCNA discovering my Rennlist oil usage survey.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blurred license plates in photos