997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

His new car numbers left me thinking aboit new and used PRICE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
His new car deal left me thinking about new and used PRICE

If the "10 percent off plus either a)1.9 percent financing or b) 10 more K off) is the most recent numbers posted -post 18 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...scounts-2.html

post number 17 --https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...od-deal-2.html

THEN --- This will shove used car prices DOWN. Think about this ... who would pay 60K for a 90k 07 when a new 09 for the same 90K can be priced in the mid 70's (cash deal) or a tad higher with low finance ?

Right NOW is the time to buy a new car if these numbers are accurate . These types of incentive programs do not last long . Likewise if one is looking at used cars this is also the time to cite those new car numbers as leverage to explain why you as the buyer refuse to pay 60+K for a used Porsche.

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-19-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM
sid_vicious is infamous around these parts
I agree on on the New>Used pricing. Seems like the value in used cars was end of 2008/early 2009 and many(like myself) missed that chance. Common sense would say used prices take another leg down to normalize where new cars are being sold, but these days common sense is out of style. Also as you said, if the level of incentives on new cars will not last once inventory is drawn down, do you think used prices stay around the levels they are at now?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Maybe some value in an '08, especially the ones that are left over, but these are not such great values compared to just getting an '09. But, consider that an '09 is essentially at the end of the model year and in the course of 3 months is a one year old car, i.e. minus $25k plus in depreciation. So, does that make it a good value since the book value of the car is going to be way less? I'm not so sure. Not that surprising that the '09's are probably discounted - the lack of discounting on the '08's seems to have been a disaster for most dealers.
I saw in the paper today an ad for an'09 Saab. MSRP of over $40k, they were selling it for $25k. Now THAT's a discount! Not that I'm buying one, mind you.

When we talk about '08 for $75k versus '07 at $60k, keep in mind that the price difference makes the '08 25% more expensive. Same token says why do you pay $55k for an '06 when you can get an '07 for $60k? That drove me to buy an '07. The difference to an '08 is 25%, that's a big check. Everyone has their budgets, of course...

Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
if the "10 percent off plus either a)1.9 percent financing or b) 10 more k off) is the most recent numbers posted -post 18 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...scounts-2.html

then --- this will shove used car prices down. Think about this ... Who would pay 60k for a 90k 07 when a new 09 for the same 90k can be priced in the mid 70's (cash deal) or a tad higher with low finance ?

right now is the time to buy a new car if these numbers are accurate . These types of incentive programs do not last long . Likewise if one is looking at used cars this is also the time to cite those new car numbers as leverage to explain why you as the buyer refuse to pay 60+k for a used porsche.
+ 1

Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
08's are already selling in the 60's .
07's have broken 60 .
06's are no longer the bargain that they are now the next floor to break through . They are still holding the low to mid 50's.

Obviously some are paying more but if one makes the offer and walks for enough cars he will find it.

PLUS -- with new cars selling at these lower prices people will trade in the used ones .

This is the time to buy an 09 . The used car prices have not collapsed because the new car deals are still fresh enough .

Prediction -- When and if - the 2006 C2S cars break 50 K and the 05 C2S can cost as much as a BMW 328 --I speculate that 6speed will see a lot of new forum members who have patiently waited and watched this forum for a Porsche 997 car that they can afford .

Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
07's have broken 60 .
06's are no longer the bargain that they are now the next floor to break through . They are still holding the low to mid 50's.

Obviously some are paying more but if one makes the offer and walks for enough cars he will find it.

PLUS -- with new cars selling at these lower prices people will trade in the used ones .

This is the time to buy an 09 . The used car prices have not collapsed because the new car deals are still fresh enough .

Prediction -- When and if - the 2006 C2S cars break 50 K and the 05 C2S can cost as much as a BMW 328 --I speculate that 6speed will see a lot of new forum members who have patiently waited and watched this forum for a Porsche 997 car that they can afford .
Is this post about me, currently (not so) patiently waiting/watching for one I can/will afford?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
07's have broken 60 .

One has to wonder what will happen to the value of the 997 when the economy recovers. A 100K + vehicle worth less then half it's value in only 3-4 years. This is a well designed, built and desired vehicle, I am sure the prices will remain constant for a few years following the recovery if not surge a bit.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
No question about affordability here! Especially given the price of the '08 M3 - even though it seems to be holding its value a lot better than the 997, which is disappointing.

In respect to the '09's, what does that say about that price? 20% off? Does that mean there's 20% in the sticker? I don't think so. It basically tells me that dealers are willing to actually lose money to sell '09's. What is funny is that they would lose money on an '09, while others still have '08 leftovers and dealer demos they are not willing to sell below $80k. And, even though we all know how good a transmission the PDK is, keep in mind that it is the automatic. Probably easier to sell than a tip, but otherwise not nearly as desirable as the 6 speed.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
One has to wonder what will happen to the value of the 997 when the economy recovers. A 100K + vehicle worth less then half it's value in only 3-4 years. This is a well designed, built and desired vehicle, I am sure the prices will remain constant for a few years following the recovery if not surge a bit.
+1
I hope for that as well!
Having a new Porsche in my neighborhood is interesting. The car is so coveted by everyone. People worship it. I really enjoy it because it is an incredible car - not for the name appeal. The name appeal is a bit bothersome, to be honest. I get the feeling that owning one in a recession is like kicking sand in the poor kid's face. But it is precisely the recession that makes it just an incredible time to take advantage of owning one. I really love it. Got to dice it up with a Viper on my commute today . I'm happy I didn't get red though

Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 AM
silver1331 is infamous around these parts
yeah i think Porsche NA is now giving more money to dealers to clear up the 09 inventory before 2010 starts...sad given that many dealers still have 08s sitting around.

about 5 months ago 17% was doable and with the new Porsche NA money...looks like that has gone to 20%. nice discount for a new car.

Also - to anyone looking at an 08 - MAKE SURE the warranty was not punched. alot of the "new" 08s have had the warranty's started in fall of 08...so you lose 1 year from the warranty period. That alone is worth maybe $2k towards an 09 in my view.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
nizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the rough
In my opinion, if u get an 05, 06, or even an 07, a CPO on the car is HUGE. I certainly don't want to be stuck with a 911 out of warranty for much too long, even if she's a garage queen and not a daily driver...

It's one of the big reasons I decided on a "let's go for it" on my 06 C4S.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
If the "10 percent off plus either a)1.9 percent financing or b) 10 more K off) is the most recent numbers posted -post 18 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...scounts-2.html

THEN --- This will shove used car prices DOWN. Think about this ... who would pay 60K for a 90k 07 when a new 09 for the same 90K can be priced in the mid 70's (cash deal) or a tad higher with low finance ?

Right NOW is the time to buy a new car if these numbers are accurate . These types of incentive programs do not last long . Likewise if one is looking at used cars this is also the time to cite those new car numbers as leverage to explain why you as the buyer refuse to pay 60+K for a used Porsche.
Thinking about what you wrote. good stuff.
let me ask you then...

PCNA are replacing the engine on my base CPO'ed 05 997 that I have driven all of 320 miles.

Would it be worth selling the base 05 with the new engine and trying to go brand new?

With the new engine I should be able to get what I paid for it, which was not all that much.

TIA

Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Is this post about me, currently (not so) patiently waiting/watching for one I can/will afford?

No, it's about me...

Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
What can we expect for 997.2 prices once the next model comes out? I don't expect 1.9 APR for sure.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Glad I leased my 07S...hate to see what I'd get for it and especially on a trade in...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: His new car numbers left me thinking aboit new and used PRICE